ATX Community

Retirement

Joel

Well, I just received my final acceptance from the IRS for my last return on extension.  I am officially retired.  I started preparing taxes in the '80s with H&R Block, bought a franchise in 1991 then sold it in 1997 after doubling the business.  Started doing some returns for friends and investment clients using ATX (with the bunny hop) making only house calls.  I joined this community after ATX dropped the previous version. I am thankful for the advice and assistance I have received from various members over the years.  I will continue to lurk on the forum in the future.

Good Bye and thanks to all.

Joel

• Like 16

Congratulations, Joel, and do continue to drop in.  Words of wisdom and advice from experience are always welcome and needed.

I am just sending in for my 3 year license renewal then calling it.  I'll be 79 then and probably more than ready.  If I get desperate, there is always VITA!  We also want to move within a couple of years (missed the boom this year, alas) so that will save changing addresses.  I imagine many of your clients tried to dissuade you as mine have.  I better start preparing them hoping they don't leave too soon!

Enjoy a 'tax free' season next year 🙂

• Like 5

All the best to you, Joel.  I know that even at 83 I would miss tax prep.  I don't aspire to be anything more than I am, but as long as I can provide a positive service, I will continue.  My husband is also still working simply because we don't know any other way to live.  We have plenty of free time and over the years, we have done the things that we wanted to do.  Have a wonderful retirement.  Do and enjoy whatever it is that you want to do.  My health and genetics won't allow me to quit just yet.

• Like 5

I am down to two returns plus my daughter's.  I have two widows that date back almost forty years ( with husbands) and will not let them go.  So we will see who goes first.  Obviously, with my costs, I am not doing it for income, so I am already retired and enjoying it.

• Like 3

It's wonderful you can retire with this market.

Know this couple who retired at 55 and moved to Europe. They flew over on Jan 2nd & the peak of the market was Jan 5th. Glad they aren't my clients anymore. They are high return seekers who were big into tech so I'm guessing they are down 35-40% at this point.

• Like 3

On 10/20/2022 at 8:55 PM, joanmcq said:

Ouch! I think I am looking at 3 years.  But I don’t know that my clients will allow it. 

3 years is as long as I intend to keep doing this. I prefer 2, but I don't know if I can get my husband to agree to move that soon. The clients that know are sad, but they understand. We need to be closer to our son and DIL. His kids that are here are too busy to help us out and it's a short flight back here.

• Like 2