ATX Community

Client says that I am wrong. It would not be the first time

NECPA in NEBRASKA

1040 not filed today, because client says that he did not make as much money as his Schedule C shows. I took every deduction that I thought was legal. The expenses for running for public office that I found were not a deduction against his business. He is looking for more deductions. 

He also says that I did not take the Covid credit that was available to everyone. It turns out to be 7202 for sick leave. I read them the directions and all of the things that made that credit possible. He said that the city was shut down, but that was in 2020., also not a reason for sick leave. He did not have any employees or children at home. Neither of them had Covid or the vaccine. They did not have to quarantine. I am willing to try to help, but I can't see anything that makes this credit available. If I am wrong, please let me know and I will gladly call and advise him on what else he can look for. 

Thanks!

This reminds of an ex client that I sent a letter at the beginning of tax season telling him I wouldn't be able to prepare his return this year.

So he ends up at H & R Block freaking out when Block tells him he owes $10,000.

So he calls me begging me to review their return because how could he possibly owe that much.

So I reluctantly agreed since he used to be a long time business client.

The Block tax return was accurate. He had paid no attention to the changes in his taxable income during 2021 .

When I asked him whether he had asked the Block preparer to go over the return with him,

he said , "No I just took my documents back and called you.🤐

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, cbslee said:

This reminds of an ex client that I sent a letter at the beginning of tax season telling him I wouldn't be able to prepare his return this year.

So he ends up at H & R Block freaking out when Block tells him he owes $10,000.

So he calls me begging me to review their return because how could he possibly owe that much.

So I reluctantly agreed since he used to be a long time business client.

The Block tax return was accurate. He had paid no attention to the changes in his taxable income during 2021 .

When I asked him whether he had asked the Block preparer to go over the return with him,

he said , "No I just took my documents back and called you.🤐

Mine was short $25k in expenses from the previous year and didn't think that would affect his taxes!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

21 hours ago, NECPA in NEBRASKA said:

I will gladly call and advise him on what else he can look for.

Tell him to look for a new preparer.  He has to know that campaign expenses aren't business expenses.  Telling instead of asking you what credits he's entitled to is another sign that this is not a desirable client.

• Like 5