ATX Community

Job description for front desk person

BobH

It's hard to describe everything this fool must do but when you find that person, you can't live without them.  I don't know how to put together a description either.  Every time I advertise for someone, the applicants either want to just answer the phone, or they are fresh out of college and want to do accounting work.  

• Haha 1

"Wanted:  Receptionist.  If you are good, you will do anything and everything."  That also included answering random tax questions.  Although, in reality, many of my co-workers became clients and still are. (If you are going to do it at all, do it well!  After many years, I finally found an assistant who does it well, most of the time).  I once worked for a Tax and Accounting firm where I ended up being the boss and the Boss became the Receptionist.  I give her all the credit in the world for training me well.  I went on to build my own business and she constantly consulted me.  We did remain friends until she retired and beyond.  The bottom line is; do your job well.  Prepare your client's return as if it were your own.

• Like 3

Job description:  Answer 1,000 phone calls a day.  Deflect 989 of them from callers who want to speak to their preparer by asking how you can help.  Help them.  Get the deluge of mail.  Open the mail.  Direct the mail to the appropriate person.  Make 100 appointments a day, or if you're not taking appts or there are no openings, take abuse from 100 callers.  Have lunch when you get home at 9PM.

• Like 6

16 hours ago, Sara EA said:

Job description:  Answer 1,000 phone calls a day.  Deflect 989 of them from callers who want to speak to their preparer by asking how you can help.  Help them.  Get the deluge of mail.  Open the mail.  Direct the mail to the appropriate person.  Make 100 appointments a day, or if you're not taking appts or there are no openings, take abuse from 100 callers.  Have lunch when you get home at 9PM.

That about covers it except that you left out the spam callers and telemarketers.  At least at 9PM, I only have to walk down the hall, grab a half a cookie or something and make a u-turn and go to bed.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2