ATX Community

2023 PTIN renewal period underway for tax professionals

Elrod

WASHINGTON — The Internal Revenue Service urges the nation's more than 750,000 active tax return preparers to start the upcoming 2023 filing season smoothly by renewing their Preparer Tax Identification Numbers (PTINs) now. All current PTINs will expire December 31, 2022.

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/2023-ptin-renewal-period-underway-for-tax-professionals

• Like 1

Did mine yesterday; very annoying. First step: log in with 2FA including a very long delay before the code showed up in email (was ready to try again but I waited; good move). Which then required me to update the password with ridiculous requirements. But then I had to log in again with the new password and 2FA, as if maybe it wasn't the real me who had been fully logged in with the old pw and 2FA. That brought me to a screen with no "renew your PTIN" option. Tried all the other options before trying the "home" button (did find a confirmation of last year's PTIN renewal - so timely), because as we all know sometimes on the IRS site using the "home" option bumps you out leading you to log in again. But that Home button did get me tot he "Renew your PTIN" choice. 

After I got to that point, it all very easily.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Apparently the bugs aren't fully worked out yet. I, too, had to update my password and wait for the 2FA code. The code didn't appear until I put in a filter with my AV software to allow emails from that IRS address. The emails weren't even appearing as spam, just blocked. Weird.  I got that worked out and successfully logged in with a new password and the 2FA and renewed my PTIN.

The weird thing is that several hours later after all of that, I finally got the very first 2FA code.  🤔

• Like 4

Oh my, that log-in system is really be messed up. I just got another email at 8 a.m. this morning with the same 6-digit 2FA code again from the initial log-in from yesterday at 1:30 p.m that said it was valid for the next 10 minutes. This is the third time it was send, and now a day later!

• Like 1
  • Sad 3