ATX Community

how many computers can I have my software on?

schirallicpa

In my office, we have two logged it most of the time.  One more with the program on it if we need it.  Jump drives travel back and forth because everything ultimately ends with me.  I have another computer at another location in case I want to work on a client on a weekend or other free time.  I think that 3 licenses is plenty.  We couldn't handle many more returns than we are doing now and I worked right up to the 17th of October and still have a few in the box who haven't brought their info in yet.

4 hours ago, schirallicpa said:

My clients use QB - I don't have a choice.  Most of the time their P&L is a big lump of nothing and I need to get a back up and look into accounts - like Miscellaneous.  Always a favorite.

Both desktop and online are cumbersome.  

Can I change your I hate quickbooks to “I hate quickbooks clients that don’t know accounting”.  😂 

I have heard of some accountants charge an arm to fix their clients QB mistakes.

I also hate quickbooks but only the online version.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, schirallicpa said:

My clients use QB - I don't have a choice.  Most of the time their P&L is a big lump of nothing and I need to get a back up and look into accounts - like Miscellaneous.  Always a favorite.

Both desktop and online are cumbersome.  

Sounds worse than doing the entries yourself, and likely more costly for your customer. Funny though, I get comments from my customers that their tax person is “making” them change to QB. My usual comment is why, as the tax person likely needs the reports, not access to make or change entries, since the tax person is not likely being paid for data entry.

My preparer, if they have a concern about a figure, make me explain or correct myself as they are not retained as my bookkeeper. 

• Like 1

On 11/1/2022 at 3:46 PM, Abby Normal said:

Sneakernet or are the other computers in your office networked to your computer?

Sneakernet for sure.  I am not networked nor do I intend to be.  I am the only one that is licensed and allowed to efile.  Also, it is my business and I am responsible.  Therefore, I have to go over every return before it is filed.  Tedious, I know, but it's a small office and a lot of discussion goes on in between.  I am grooming my assistant /s/ to perhaps someday sit in my chair.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ILLMAS said:

Can I change your I hate quickbooks to “I hate quickbooks clients that don’t know accounting”.  😂 

I have heard of some accountants charge an arm to fix their clients QB mistakes.

I also hate quickbooks but only the online version.

Never!!!!  I also have clients  who use Quickbooks and bring in  reports that are a total mess.  Now, get this, I have a tax client who is a Quickbooks Bookkeeper.  She is constantly calling me with questions about what goes where.  I just had to tell another newer business client to "Get rid of it, you don't need it or the expense!" Yeeeeeesh!!!!

1 minute ago, ILLMAS said:

Not defending QB, but if a person doesn't know 💩 about bookkeeping, how does using another program solve the issue? 

Quicken 10 is checkbook entry and does the bookkeeping for you if you at least know how to set up the categories.  I have clients that I actually set up with paper spreadsheets because that is the only thing they understand.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mcb39 said:

Quicken 10 is checkbook entry and does the bookkeeping for you if you at least know how to set up the categories.  I have clients that I actually set up with paper spreadsheets because that is the only thing they understand.

I haven't used Quicken in ages, but does it now allow you print out a balance sheet and profit & loss if you are using it to run a business?  

1 hour ago, ILLMAS said:

I haven't used Quicken in ages, but does it now allow you print out a balance sheet and profit & loss if you are using it to run a business?  

Absolutely!!!  Caution, though!  If you use any version newer than 10, you are in the same boat as with Quickbooks.  You have to renew and pay for updates every year.  I have the CDs for 6, 8 and 10 and one is as good as another.  You can print out any kind of report that you want.  In fact,, for my husband's business; we have two accounts under his file.  One for checking and one for cash.  At any point in time, the program will combine the totals and bring them together for the reports.   SWEET!!  This not a tiny business, but a family-owned Partnership.  We post the checks, which are primary, to the checkbook and when the statement comes, my gal can reconcile the account at the end of each month.  You might still be able to get it on Ebay.  I haven't needed one in a while.  

12 minutes ago, mcb39 said:

Absolutely!!!  Caution, though!  If you use any version newer than 10, you are in the same boat as with Quickbooks.  You have to renew and pay for updates every year.  I have the CDs for 6, 8 and 10 and one is as good as another.  You can print out any kind of report that you want.  In fact,, for my husband's business; we have two accounts under his file.  One for checking and one for cash.  At any point in time, the program will combine the totals and bring them together for the reports.   SWEET!!  This not a tiny business, but a family-owned Partnership.  We post the checks, which are primary, to the checkbook and when the statement comes, my gal can reconcile the account at the end of each month.  You might still be able to get it on Ebay.  I haven't needed one in a while.  

Correction on the year for Quicken.  Version 17 is the last one that came on a CD.  In looking through my CDs, I find that I have it.  I remember now that we installed it and found it too fussy so we have stayed with Version 10 thereafter.  Actually, I think that I liked 8 better than 10, but we have stayed with 10 and it is a nice solid program with everything that you need.  Sorry about that error.