ATX Community

A Tax Return that didn't get e-filed

GraceNY

I never had this happen in the 25 years I have been in business.

I just discovered that a client's 2021 federal and state tax return wasn't e-filed back in April.  There was a balance due on both and the client did submit the payments with the vouchers.

Does anyone know what will happen when the returns get e-filed this week? i.e penalties, interest?

Thanks in advance for any input.

Grace

If the payments cleared before the due date of the return, there will not be any Federal penalty or interest.  Not sure about how your state operates.  However, if the return is ever audited and an assessment is made, a FTF penalty would be added to the assessment.

• Like 5

I would efile as soon as possible and pay from my pocket any penalty.  It happened to me once and by paying the penalty from my pocket, I never forget to efile anymore. 

After that event, every April fools day, I click on each return on return manager to see if efile was accepted.  If I don't see the efile transmission, I check my paperwork. I also make a note on return manager if client picked up her/his papers and didn't file with us. I also make a note such as "2021 by mail" if forms were sent by mail. As you know, checking 1000 returns on return manager might take you an hour but it is a good investment.

I think I use the field named "client #" to make my notes. Since this field is rolled over each year, I make sure I use the year that was paper filed so that I don't get confused in subsequent years. "Paper filed" will not cut it for me. 

• Like 3