ATX Community

ATX 2022

mcb39

3 hours ago, Margaret CPA in OH said:

Curious - what does it mean, 'on a domain?' I thought there were only desktop or server choices.  I have a 'domain name' for my site but, since ATX is not cloud-based, I'm having trouble understanding this situation.  Would you explain for this simpleton?

Let's say that you have 3 computers but each one is a stand alone computer. Your password is checked by each computer independently. In most cases, you only need to have the computer you are using on and everything will work. On a domain, there is a server, and the other computers are workstations. When you log on to the workstation, the server verifies your user name and password.  In the case of ATX, you install the server software for ATX on the server and most likely that server holds the clients' data. If the server is down, you don't have access to your clients data. The advantage is that everybody in the office uses the same data repository and everybody has access to all the clients (if needed). 

You don't need a domain to run ATX server but the computers need to be connected to each other and be using the same IP subnet, but having a domain is better when you a few computers. 

Technically, you can install the server portion on laptop running windows 10/11 and that becomes, NOT the server for the domain, but the server for ATX. Then you can connect other desktops, laptops or servers to that laptop and they are the subordinates of the laptop running the ATX server software. Keep in mind that the laptop still reports to the domain server (controller).  Please ignore this last paragraph if needed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Margaret CPA in OH said:

Thanks - I think.  At least it isn't something I need to worry about as I have just a single desktop and just me.  It's always good to learn, or try to learn, more.

I have three computers and use them all, but not necessarily all at once.  I still install stand alone as one computer is off site and everything has to come through me for e-filing anyway.  This was the easiest install I have had in a while, but I still HATE waiting for that code for the second password.

• Like 2

Margaret,

What Pacun told you is a network type setup. After all of the years seeing you on this board, I don't remember you having employees or other workers in your office that would require a network setup. A domain is a work group where the admin of the domain sets various controls and is much more involved than you need I think. Your web domain is an address on the web. Your single desktop is a stand-alone installation and is all you need to be concerned about.

• Like 2

Thanks, Terry.  Over the years I have had several employees but I have been the single return preparer. I was asking about this just for education as the terminology (domain vs network) was new to me.  No, I do not and never did need a network setup, just my single desktop!  And with my license renewal last week, just 3 more years 😃

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Margaret CPA in OH said:

Thanks, Terry.  Over the years I have had several employees but I have been the single return preparer. I was asking about this just for education as the terminology (domain vs network) was new to me.  No, I do not and never did need a network setup, just my single desktop!  And with my license renewal last week, just 3 more years 😃

And what a pleasure for all of us to have you with us for three more years; that is if we all last that long!❤️

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/24/2022 at 6:55 AM, mcb39 said:

I have three computers and use them all, but not necessarily all at once.  I still install stand alone as one computer is off site and everything has to come through me for e-filing anyway.  This was the easiest install I have had in a while, but I still HATE waiting for that code for the second password.

What second password?