ATX Community

both windows 10 and 11?

WITAXLADY

D, My Guru was in yesterday all day cleaning (dusting the insides of) and updating all of my computers.  He told me that in 2 years our Window 10 computers will be obsolete junk. 😪   I asked him about your issue and he said that most of your Windows 10 programs will work with Windows 11; but it will not be possible to update Windows 10 computers in the future.  Therefore, if I were you and buying a new computer, I would opt for Windows 11.  He said that he has been using it for 2 years already and he works on a lot of 10 computers; including mine.  Just a tidbit for you to mull over.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, mcb39 said:

D, My Guru was in yesterday all day cleaning (dusting the insides of) and updating all of my computers.  He told me that in 2 years our Window 10 computers will be obsolete junk.

I absolutely detest so called experts who are alarmist fruitcakes. Anyone remember Y2K! Current surveys show that 69 % of all desktops are still running WIN 10.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, cbslee said:

I absolutely detest so called experts who are alarmist fruitcakes. Anyone remember Y2K! Current surveys show that 69 % of all desktops are still running WIN 10.

Yes, I agree.  I have total trust in my serviceman.  However, what is going to happen to that 69% of computers if and when they become obsolete?  There isn't any place that you can dump them.  I have to believe that before the time comes, Microsoft will have a workaround to update.  Fingers are crossed.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Windows 11 is mostly minor refinements, minor new features, and a fresh coat of paint compared to Windows 10, not a huge overhaul like the new version number would suggest.  I would say that if your software vendor says it's compatible, and manufacturer of your peripherals (printers, scanners, etc) are supporting Windows 11, then you're safe to use it.  Do whatever you're comfortable with.

https://support.atxinc.com/includes/atx system requirements.pdf

I think doom and gloom rants about either choice (sticking with Windows 10 or choosing to buy a Windows 11 computer) are probably a bit of an over-reaction.  I don't think there's much risk either way... but if you're the type to get flustered by technology changes, then right before tax season might not be the ideal time to start getting acquainted with a new version of Windows.

• Like 5