ATX Community

Old Master Tax Guides

Slippery Pencil

How many years of prior Master Tax Guides or TaxBooks do you keep?

I'm cleaning out the house & office and I have the last 25 MTG and a few TaxBooks on the shelf.  20 years ago I actually used the current or previous year a few times but now I rarely even use the current version.  I feel I should keep the most recent 3 or possibly 7 years.  Doubt I'll even use those but can't imagine too many scenarios where I'd use anything past that.

• Like 1

I DO use it when the mud gets deep.  It has given me the answer that I couldn't find anywhere else, every once in a while.  That being said, I think 5 should be sufficient.  We have an outdoor  wood-burner; so mine are starting to turn to ashes.  How much reference material can we keep for our heirs to throw out?

• Like 4

1 hour ago, mcbreck said:

I have 1 Master Tax Guide book from a few years ago. The company I work with offers them for $31 each and I bought 20 and handed them out to attorney's and it became obvious nobody really wanted them.

That's a real bargain considering the full retail is almost $200, and that price is why I stopped getting them.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, kathyc2 said:

It used to be my goto source to answer questions.  I find it much easier to google what I want rather than open index of a book and then turn to the page where it's addressed.  I think a lot of hard copy reference material has gone the way of a paper phone book.

100% agree.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, kathyc2 said:

It used to be my goto source to answer questions.  I find it much easier to google what I want rather than open index of a book and then turn to the page where it's addressed.  I think a lot of hard copy reference material has gone the way of a paper phone book.

I find that my assistant is often googling and gets the answer before I do.  However, when it comes to a rare technicality; I will find the answer by digging in the MTG.  Case in point was a taxpayer who sold his home before the required 2 year habitation and was able to pro-rate gain because his job required him to move more than 50 miles.  He was only a couple of months short, but this reduced his CG dramatically.  I didn't KNOW this rule, but know it now.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/5/2022 at 1:39 PM, mcbreck said:

If last year's copy of the guide is good enough, you can download it for free via Paychex. You set up a free log-in, go into the guide and when you try and download it the site will email you with a link to download the entire guide.

The 2023 version is available for free download now.

• Like 1