ATX Community

How did I screw this up?

joanmcq

In early November, I figured how much CPE I needed for the year.  And proceeded to get that much CPE. But when renewing my license…I’m 14 hours short. Can I no longer subtract? Should I be doing taxes? 

so anyways, I’m working on completing a self study course by tomorrow. I hate self study because I’m a great procrastinator.  Oh well, back to the grind…

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

It only matters on the year that your license ends.  Two days ago, while renewing my PTIN, I saw that I have to renew my license in March 2023, which I completely forgot. I panicked because this year I had only 18 credits. In my head, I said... "I am short if every year I have don't the minimum requirement". Luckily, on that website they have my CPE credits and I had a lot in one year so I had exactly 72 credits.  

I am happy you noticed it now because 48 hours later, it would be too late. 

Everybody, please double check if your license expires in March, so you still have time to pass the CPE exams. 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Slippery Pencil said:

There's so much free CPE available that years ago I took over 80 hours one year.  40 for the current year, 40 to carry over into the next year.  I've taken at least 40 each year since then so I still have the 40 carryover.  If I suffer a minor tragedy and am unable to take CPE for a year, I'm still good to go. 

Unfortunately, I can't quite work up an entire year ahead just in case.   As an EA, IRS requires that I have at least 16 hours each year, and 72 in the three year cycle.  But working some hours ahead is a great plan to be prepared. 

• Like 2

+ 2 CEs of Ethics EVERY year for EAs. But I hear that the OPR or whichever department renews our EA designation is understanding about illness (COVID seems to be reasonable cause for most things) and one-time errors -- if you contact them and make-up any shortage immediately.

Also, if you're an NAEA member, you need 30 CEs per year, IIRC.

• Like 3

I pick up a few hours of free CE here and there. However the quality varies quite a bit from occasionally good to not very good.

There are a number of free one hour classes that are a mixture of CE and the presenter marketing their services, which can get tiresome.

Several times a year the IRS Small Business/Self Employed Division will have a free 2 hour class which is usually pretty good.

• Like 2

I subscribe to RIA Checkpoint Learning 'Premier Package" which allows access to hundreds of webinars and self-study courses for an annual rate of about $300.  A great value for quality courses.

Oregon CPAs are required to report 80 hours every two years.  You must take at least 24 hours a year.  20 hours of carryover are allowed but cannot be applied to the 24 per year minimum.  Also must include 4 hours of ethics which come with the RIA package.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/2/2023 at 12:08 PM, DANRVAN said:

I subscribe to RIA Checkpoint Learning 'Premier Package" which allows access to hundreds of webinars and self-study courses for an annual rate of about $300.  A great value for quality courses.

Thanks, Dan! I've used RIA and PPC products for years but never for CPE and just made the switch to Checkpoint today. This was perfect timing because my now-former package had just renewed on the 31st and was still eligible for a full refund, and that company's state ethics course was NOT included.

I did the Bob Jennings seminar on the 19th and 20th of December.  I forgot how much I enjoy his presentations.  I took two of my staff members, and they both enjoyed the presentations, also.

Not my only continuing ed, but a good refresher and energizer for the upcoming season!

• Like 3