ATX Community

NT: Twelfth Night Cake

Catherine

The recipe on this page (scroll down a ways) would make a cake big enough for ALL of us to have a couple of pieces!

https://randombitsoffascination.com/2023/01/06/closing-out-the-holidays-with-twelfth-night/

For those who don't click links (emphasis added): 

Take four pounds of flour dried and sifted, seven pounds of currants washed and rubbed, six pounds of the best fresh butter, two pounds of Jordan almonds blanched, and beaten with orange flower water and sack till fine; then take four pounds of eggs, put half the whites away, three pounds of double-refined sugar beaten and sifted, a quarter of an ounce of mace, the same of cloves and cinnamon, three large nutmegs, all beaten fine, a little ginger, half a pint of sack, half a pint of right French brandy, sweet-meats to your liking, they must be orange, lemon, and citron; work your butter to a cream with your hands before any of your ingredients are in; then put in your sugar, and mix all well together; let your eggs be well beat and strained through a sieve, work in your almonds first, then put in your eggs, beat them together till they look white and thick; then put in your sack, brandy and spices, shake your flour in be degrees, and when your oven is ready, put in your currants and sweet-meats as you put it in your hoop: it will take four hours baking in a quick oven: you must keep it beating with your hand all the while you are mixing of it, and when your currants are well washed and cleaned, let them be kept before the fire, so that they may go warm into your cake. This quantity will bake best in two hoops. (whatever those are!)

~Hannah Glasse (1784)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

I cheated!  I made 'King' Cake today, but I made chocolate (my crew isn't in to the pecan/raisin swirl thing).  I did make it round, but I put Baby Jesus in the center hole rather than baking him into the cake ... I know he's Holy, but I still think his plastic version could be carcinogenic ;).

• Like 4