ATX Community

SSA Business Services?

Catherine

I've been trying since the last couple days of last week to access SSA's Business Services Online to report wages. I'm getting nothing but an error message "we cannot process your request at this time." It doesn't even go to the login page from the login link, but straight to the error. Anyone here know what's going on?

image.thumb.png.81c6a6a27cda7c94c5055f3f67c47802.png

4 hours ago, Lynn EA USTCP in Louisiana said:

is this where you attempted to log in ?  https://www.ssa.gov/bso/bsowelcome.htm

Last week I was able to log in and change my password; I had to a browser other than firefox.  I was able to get into the log in page using Edge. 

Yes, that was where I tried to log in. I use Brave browser. Perhaps I'll try whatever else I have on this machine (Edge or Chrome). Thank you! 

I had no trouble just before EOY.  I have not heard any complaints from my customers, other than those who wonder why they have to sign up with SSA (such as ask me what an SSA ID is).

If you do mail, I always suggest using something which offers proof of delivery.  Personally, I would mail, first class, but I need to do what my customers might do, so I efile.  Mailing is less time consuming (I know many will argue, but print, stuff, and mail takes what, a few minutes, versus sign up, login, password reset, etc.), so less costly, assuming you keep copies, have proof of delivery, and monitor for receipt (as mentioned in a different thread).

• Like 2

Last year when I couldn't sign on, the SSA mailed me a temporary password which took over two weeks to arrive, which I didn't receive until the 31st of January.

I waited until the 27th of January then mailed in all of my client's W - 2s.

Why can't the SSA email you a temporary password like everyone else?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, cbslee said:

Why can't the SSA email you a temporary password like everyone else?

Opinion only.  They expect employers to be timely, not wait until day of filing to sign in, or to realize they don't have a current password.  Security, email is not secure.  We are talking about what would be thousands of pieces of PID, so they have to take all reasonable steps to keep it secure, including not sending a password via email.

Mail, mail is no longer a few day affair, not even across town using the same local distribution center.

3 hours ago, Terry D EA said:

the only hiccup was changing the password. Just thought you might like to know.

Not sure what their current policy is, but at least for a time, it had to be changed in some frequency that those who log in only to file W2 data would have to first go through the lost password (forgotten since the prior year), and those who remembered, would have to come up with a new one every year.

For me, I have a calendar reminder to log in first Tue of Dec, just to make sure I am ready for EOY.

2 minutes ago, Lynn EA USTCP in Louisiana said:

When I changed the password in SSAA BSO last week, I was told it expires in 90 days.

thank you for the clarification.  I get the reasons, but it is fairly unworkable, for something many access only during January.  No point in having a Pwd at all for that short of a time, better to rely on some sort of other method, SMS code (with a less often expiring PWD), token, etc.  Just one person's opinion, and darn glad I do not have to handle their lost/forgotten PWD requests.

• Like 2

The password does expire every 90 days, but if you log in once a year to submit W-2s, then you can change it only that once and done.

I logged in this evening, changed my password, prepared and submitted my W-2, and saved/printed the pdf. No problems whatsoever, and I used Firefox browser.

• Like 3