ATX Community

You're Fired...

Medlin Software, Dennis

As we have chatted about before, it can be freeing, and many will say necessary, to fire a few clients each year/season.  In my case, I don't really have to prepare, I can just issue a refund, and send a "thank you for past usage, make sure to print needed records" type of message.

Happened again today.  Someone asked a relatively simple question, with the proper answer being no.  The now former customer did not like the answer (the item was something it is not proper to do), so the refund was initiated.

For me, most fire themselves, such as making the "threat" along the lines of do what I want or I will find other software/post negative reviews, etc.  These are becoming sadly routine as attempted blackmail seems to be some sort of way people think they can get what they want.

The other usual is someone asking me (interestingly, the person who wrote the software) for help, then claiming my suggestion is wrong, unable to be done, etc.  Today's example was a customer who believed their "IT" person (or was just being dishonest about having an "IT" person), sent a nasty reply, then sent another rely that the software was not the issue as proved by installing in a different location (it was a firewall issue on their end, not broken software on my part).

As I get ready to try to train my eventual replacement, I have been making notes of things to help them deal with customers.  One of them is to never assume the customer is telling the truth.  This is a huge change from 30 years ago when I started... It simply is not wise to take all information at face value.  I actually often ask for "proof", such as a screen capture, and a fair amount of the time the customer was wrong, mistaken, or just untruthful.

So for here, I wonder if you are ready to fire at all times, meaning ready to give working papers or copies on short notice, and send them to the next person/firm?

I ask, because I know we chatted here, years ago, about even terrible customers having money to "get" (meaning to get/earn for services), and sometimes, they have more to spend than easy customers.  In my case, I have one price, so I cannot charge more for tough customers... Plus, as I get older, and relatively stable financially, I have little need to deal with certain things.  (Maybe I am getting to be more Mr. Wilson than Dennis!)

• Like 7

Some of Mrs. Kravitz' habits have leaked in as well... Not so much being a busy body, but watching what goes on, or more specifically, having visible working cameras so the baddies move along.  We get asked, from time to time, if we caught something.  One of our cams records every thing entering our cul-de-sac.  Helped catch someone who as checking for unlocked vehicles and homes.  The person who was caught skipped by our place and vehicles, looking straight at the cameras... but did not realize how wide the field of view is.

Just got four new ones today, to replace some outdated ones.  They not only are clear enough to get a real face image and license plate image night or day, they are supposed to pan with the moving subject.

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, Medlin Software, Dennis said:

I wonder if you are ready to fire at all times

Yes - and as a result, I have rarely had to fire on the spot. As time goes on I am refusing potential problem clients upon their first inquiry. With existing clients, if I start to see signs of trouble creeping in, I recommend that they seek other help because it seems they need more assistance than I have time properly to provide. The last client I fired I finished his return (and got paid, not nearly what it was worth) and then sent a letter stating I would not be able to help him going forward. Thought for sure with him I was going to have to tell him to leave, but knowing I was ready to say it came through enough in our interactions that we were able to finish that one last year. He got a lot more slack than others, since doing his return was a favor to his late mother.

Thanks for the reminder, as well as for confirming the impression that people are not telling the truth as much any more. On the tax end, I don't know if they're just incompetent financially, confused by confusing rules, overwhelmed with general busy-ness, or just lying. But I definitely see it more and more.

• Like 5

Catherine. I hope I am getting better (more forceful?) at catching issues up front, such as those who expect the software to teach them accounting/payroll processing, rather than use the software as a tool.  My self explanation is computers have become appliances to many, expected to do it all "for" the user.  Last century, all who used computers/software were already experts, now a growing majority believe the ads stating anyone can Q by using B software.

I find myself working on perfecting a stock reply, that software is a tool to help someone do something they can already do without said software. If there is no existing training/experience to rely on, then hiring out is the best bet - maybe a small local person/firm who is willing to patiently answer questions (not for free) if the person wants to learn the process.  I also mention all business owners should have at least a modest idea of the process, so they can spot trends/issues, but they should defer to the people they pay for advice (and their E&O coverage!).  There are endless options to gain knowledge, free and paid, in person and remote, so lack of desire to gain knowledge is a red flag.

• Like 5

Had a new guy last year who I really thought was going to be a problem. 3 calls before we ever met (all implied problems were possible) and when we met he gruffed and complained. Turned out to be a terrific guy and he's referred several others to me in 11 months. Over the summer he dropped by my office just to thank me and see how my vacation went.

• Like 2

Another looks to be on their way.  Livid that I have no means to access their state's records and get their UI rate "for" them, since that is what they thought they were paying me for, to be their payroll service and answer all possible payroll questions for them.  (I license payroll software for self use.)

Interestingly, they are not a new customer.  I wonder how they forgot they setup their own UI rate at the beginning of the last year?  Maybe they are having a bad day, we will see.  Mine started not so good, one of our kids called early to say his vehicle was stolen overnight.  Thankfully, he lives across the street from his school, and we can get him our spare car in a day or two.

1 minute ago, mcbreck said:

Had a new guy last year who I really thought was going to be a problem. 3 calls before we ever met (all implied problems were possible) and when we met he gruffed and complained. Turned out to be a terrific guy and he's referred several others to me in 11 months. Over the summer he dropped by my office just to thank me and see how my vacation went.

I try to let them fire themselves, like the one starting off on the wrong foot this morning.  I have replied twice, with the pertinent information, including a link they can use to log in and get their rate.  Their next reply, if any, will determine their status.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Lion EA said:

Tax software is no substitute for tax knowledge. You can replace the words "tax" with any profession.

Ain't that the truth!  Not so much here, but on other boards I've seen people hold themselves out to be "tax professionals" when they are nothing more than a glorified keypunch operator.  Software is a great tool and there are times when it catches my mistakes, but then again, there are other times when it gives an answer that I know if not right.  Generally it's because I didn't click on a box or other.  If someone doesn't have a good idea of what the result should be, they don't know to look at what has to be checked. I think those of us who "could" do a return with calculator and pencil are going the way of dinasours!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, kathyc2 said:

pencil are going the way of dinasours!

While I am not out in the wild, I rarely come across anyone who can handle even one payroll (power outage, computer failure, etc.) with any sort of writing instrument, paper, and cash or checks.

I still suggest people have 15T and their state pub in their top drawer, but I doubt if any do.  Same for paper checks on hand, and/or access to at least a few hundred dollars per employee to buy a day or two delay.

Just an age thing, but I was not allowed a calculator in class until my feeble attempt at conforming in college.  Still cannot find the Dr or Cr buttons on a calculator <smile>, or the "any" key.

As I embark on trying to pass on what I know, I ever so strongly try to remind/inspire the person to learn the process, not so much the tool, as understanding the process is the gold, anyone can bang on a keyboard to use the tool.

• Like 5

11 hours ago, Lion EA said:

Tax software is no substitute for tax knowledge. You can replace the words "tax" with any profession.

Have you ever had a client say "All you have to do is put the numbers in the computer!"  I haven't had that happen in a long time as more people are realizing that tax returns are more difficult than they think.  They seem to have begun to realize how we (think, research and agonize) over their returns.  If we aren't doing those things, we should not be calling ourselves Professionals.  Just the fact of reading and contributing to boards like this one (which is excellent, by the way) proves that we are not letting the software do the work.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, cbslee said:

I remember when I was taking Accounting Classes in college waiting and waiting until the cost of a Texas Instrument handheld calculator finally dropped to to $125 so that I could finally afford to buy one:)

That is so cool.  I just this week purchased two on Amazon for $9.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, mcb39 said:

"All you have to do is put the numbers in the computer!"

That is the issue.  Some think a computer and software makes them qualified, prevents errors, etc.  Those are the likely to think that is all a preparer does too.

While I am likely knowledgeable enough to do our corp return, I am wise/old/lazy/busy enough not to.  I know they do have an input person.  What we pay for is their supervisor who reviews the return, makes sure staff is trained, and spends time answering my questions/concerns.  It is a good working relationship.  I just got a thank you message for showing PTET as a separate line item... after having a professional back and forth on a few items I wanted to be clear on.

• Like 4