ATX Community

Problems?

mcbreck

I've been noticing on a Facebook community page of Drake users that people are having significant problems getting Drake running correctly. Is anyone on here having a difficult time?

I've had zero problems so I'm just wondering. Seems one of the major problems is the multi factor authentication and I turned that off immediately.

I've worked on individual and business returns within the program but am waiting on state forms approval, so I haven't e-filed anything yet. No problems with what I've done so far, but I did not initiate the MFA during my initial setup after reading the initial post here.

My own 940 was rejected by IRS on 1/23 because of a programming issue in Drake Accounting and with the year in the header, and the program didn't catch or reject it and allowed it to transmit on through to IRS.  The patch was made by Drake the following morning and 940 was resubmitted automatically without any further action on my part. All I had to do was retrieve the ack a second time that showed its acceptance.  

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, there is a big problem with Drake in regard to 2023 estimated tax vouchers for the States.  For example, I can't find them for Kansas and Oklahoma.  I see the 1040-ES for Federal but do not see the K-40ES individual estimated income tax vouchers for Kansas or the OW-8-ES individual income tax vouchers for Oklahoma.  I would like to know if anyone knows where to find these vouchers for 2023 year?  Drake support could not help me.  That is a big problem with Drake Software since ATX and TaxAct easy populate these vouchers.

Deb, I see where you put in the estimated taxes you have already paid in 2022 for Kansas and Oklahoma for each quarter but I don't find where you are able to print out the vouchers for Kansas and Oklahoma that you will use to pay those quarter payments in 2023.  The underlined words are my question?

5 hours ago, Dan said:

Yes, there is a big problem with Drake in regard to 2023 estimated tax vouchers for the States.  For example, I can't find them for Kansas and Oklahoma.  I see the 1040-ES for Federal but do not see the K-40ES individual estimated income tax vouchers for Kansas or the OW-8-ES individual income tax vouchers for Oklahoma.  I would like to know if anyone knows where to find these vouchers for 2023 year?  Drake support could not help me.  That is a big problem with Drake Software since ATX and TaxAct easy populate these vouchers.

Using one of the practice returns, I was able to create vouchers for both states in one return.  Those vouchers for both states did appear on the print screen

The things I had to do:

Install each of those states

Make sure that one of those states was indicated as the resident state on screen 1. In my test case, I used OK as the resident state.

Make sure that the other state had some sort of input by going to the State Tab, selecting the Kansas (the nonres or PY return) input for General Information, and I simply entered a "T" for taxpayer in the top box, and OK in the PY resident state box.

Go to the ES input screen and in the lower right quarter of the screen, enter one of the state abbreviations, the "IN" to indicate the estimate is for individual tax, enter the amount for each of the vouchers, THEN

Page down to a 2nd ES screen and repeat the above input for the second state entering all of that similar data.

Calculate or go to Print/View where I was able to see +/or print all 4 vouchers for each of the two states.

• Like 1

jkicpa -- Yes you are correct in what you explained how to populate the State estimated tax vouchers, but I was hoping the program would do this for me like ATX and TaxAct does.  I quess here you have to figure on your own what you need to put in each State voucher.  I took my figures from TaxAct and entered them in the vouchers as you explained, and it worked.  Thanks for the info.

1 hour ago, Dan said:

jkicpa -- Yes you are correct in what you explained how to populate the State estimated tax vouchers, but I was hoping the program would do this for me like ATX and TaxAct does.  I quess here you have to figure on your own what you need to put in each State voucher.  I took my figures from TaxAct and entered them in the vouchers as you explained, and it worked.  Thanks for the info.

The program has a planner that you can use to estimate next year's taxes. Once you are finished with 2022, open the planner and select 2023 and the program will replicate all the entries from the 2022 tax year into 2023 with inflation adjusted items at the correct amounts such as the standard deduction, etc.  It will also calculate whatever state is in 2022 and you can make any changes in 2023 that you want to. You can have more than one planner for 2023 and even print a comparison. 

Once you've made all the changes you want in 2023, do make sure to "calculate" so that your changes are incorporated into the planner's figures.  You can then easily use that tax minus any withholding to come up with the quarterly amounts the client needs to pay in.

• Like 1