ATX Community

1099-NEC Identity Theft Issues??

artp

Taxpayer received 1099-NEC from Clickworker.com for 2022 in the amount of $1979 showing masked SSN with her last 4 social security numbers and her correct name and address.  She has a very common first and last name so a clerical error by the company? She is absolutely positive she did not perform any services or receive any goods from that company or any other company. She has contacted the company to get the matter resolved, but they are uncooperative. She suspects identity theft and wants to file a 14039 immediately. Is this the best action to take?  Call IRS Identity Protection Specialized Unit at 800-908-4490? Suggestions?? 

First I would quickly use a free annual credit check i.e., Experian, Equifax, & Transunion to see if there is any bad stuff out there.

Second I would freeze my credit to halt any identity theft from happening.

Some people do a credit alert but that just informs you that the bad stuff has already happened.

Third I would immediately pull a tax transcript and make any other inquiries to see if any other funny stuff has happened.

Unfortunately, this misuse is often done by another family member or a close friend.

• Like 3

"Clickworkers are a team of internet professionals registered with our organization. They work online, performing micro-tasks on our platform using their own desktop, tablet or smartphone (via Clickworker-App). Clickworkers participate in projects on a freelance basis and according to their own schedule. They are compensated directly through us on a per assignment basis."

Very interesting, I have never heard of them before🤔

"Company seems to be a complete SCAM.
I received a FAKE 1099 from them and NEVER worked for them. Good luck getting an account setup. Good luck getting a hold of any PERSON. It's so terrible I have to report them to the IRS, Better Business Bureau."

Date of experience: January 25, 2023

Reply from clickworker

"We are really sorry to hear that you have become the victim of identity theft on our platform and that someone is fraudulently using your personal data. Unfortunately, such cases happen from time to time, although we try our best to verify newly registered users. But if they know all your required personal data including your name, address and SSN, it is hard to catch them before they do harm (or in this case, earn money using your identity). Please contact us at https://supportworkplace.clickworker.com/support/tickets/new about this and send us the userID mentioned on the 1099 you have received from us. Once we have that number, we can locate the matching fraudulent account and suspend it permanently. If you need any further assistance regarding communication with the IRS, etc., please let us know., too. We will do anything we can to support you in solving this issue. Kind regards, Clickworker Community Support."

Well your client has company. :(

• Angry 1

Thanks for all of the replies and advice. Client finally did get Clickworker to reply and they closed the account. Client is following up with credit agencies with credit report and freeze, IRS fraud hot line, getting a transcript from the IRS, and identity theft pin, ect. We will attach 8275 to the return to disclose the fraudulent 1099-NEC.

• Like 3