ATX Community

UNCLAIMED PROPERTY

TAXMAN

State of VA paid to the estate 12k from their unclaimed funds for a deceased tp. Information provided by state was Proceeds 10k(no idea what was sold), dividends and other funds 2k. they listed 10K on a form 1099b with nothing else to help or even describe where funds came from. None of the forms that we have shows either the deceased# or the estate#. This all occurred a year after death. I think the dividends should be taxable to the estate but not the proceeds. Can anyone help with this? 

3 minutes ago, cbslee said:

If you have no basis then it's all gain.

Except the estate gets stepped up basis at date of death.   If they knew what the security is, the tax reporting is a piece of cake.   Someone (hopefully not @TAXMAN - unless they pay him) will have to track down the producer of the 1099B and find out what the security was.   I would not leave that basis out, especially in a down market, unless the TP absolutely refused to make the effort and would not pay me to make the effort.

Tom
Longview, TX

• Like 2

On 2/2/2023 at 8:09 AM, TAXMAN said:

. I think the dividends should be taxable to the estate but not the proceeds

The way I see it, you are looking at maximum taxable income of about $2,000 which should be taxed at the beneficiary level.

You mentioned 10,000 of property sold.  As Bulldog mentioned it is safe to say that will be offset by stepped up basis.  Report it on Schedule D of the 1041 and call it an unknow asset of decedent.

As I understand your post, that leaves $2,000 of potential income to report on the 1041.  That will go on K-1 if reported on final 1041 or distributed within 65 days of estate year end. The result should be in $200 - $400 of federal income tax to beni’s,+ whatever your state might tax.

If these are the only items reported on 1041, they will offset by any legal and accounting fees….etc; in full proportion.

So before you spend to much time digging into this, you should consider the cost vs benefit to the estate and discuss that with them.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, DANRVAN said:

Maybe I am missing something, but It doesn't seem right to have $2,000 of income from $10,000 of assets.

I still think someone needs to dig into the 1099B and figure out what was held and sold.   @DANRVANI like your suggestion above about zeroing out the Cap Gains, but I don't think I could do it myself.   I don't think I could take that position and potentially have to defend it upon audit for the estate in a couple years.   But I do think the estate Trustee should be able to get the information.   It may just be a simple phone call to the Unclaimed Property Dept of VA, or it could be more involved.

Tom
Longview, TX

14 minutes ago, BulldogTom said:

I don't think I could take that position and potentially have to defend

I would rely on the Cohan rule for a reasonable estimate of basis with in one year of DOD; if not otherwise determined.

This is obviously not high dollar property (like real estate) that would have appreciated in value.

On the flip side, I don't think auditor would have much of a case to deny it.

6 minutes ago, cbslee said:

On the other hand the $10,000 could be taxable proceeds which don't qualify for a step up in basis.

We don't really know do we?

But off hand I can't think of any unclaimed property that would not receive a step up basis and sold for $10,000.

Can you?

What else would the proceeds be from?

6 minutes ago, cbslee said:

Any Taxable Income that ended up in Unclaimed Funds

But OP specifically referred to 1099 B,  

That tells us that property of decedent was sold and estate would have basis equal to fmv at date of death.

I can not think of any circumstance where estate not have basis in property sold.

• Like 2

I guess I am not sure how that works with unclaimed property.  Did they not sell whatever it was until after the decedent's death so that effectively the estate sold it?  Or was it sold 10 years ago when the state received the property and they are just issuing the 1099B because they finally found out who the property belonged to so that they know who to issue the 1099B in the name of?  It doesn't seem like you could move income to another year that way.  This has been an interesting discussion. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, TAXMAN said:

The remainder $ appears to be dividends turned over to state some years back. Admin seems to think maybe 10 to 15 years ago.

That makes sense, as mentioned above $2,000 income vs $10,000 in property does not sound right for year after death.

So maybe no income to the estate.

1 hour ago, Sara EA said:

Income is taxed in the year received, so the divs will be taxed to the estate.

Good point.  So unclaimed income was received by "the state" X years ago and then paid to estate year after death. 

I think I will crawl back into my rabbit hole for the night.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Abby Normal said:

sure it was not reported on a 1099 and didn't end up on the 1040?

There seems to be endless possibilities here. I think estate would have burden of proof that it was already taxed by decedent. Otherwise I agree with Sara, estate steps into the shoes of decedent and it becomes IRD.

• Like 1