ATX Community

I’m getting sick of this client

joanmcq

New client with ‘easy’ return is becoming a PITA. Been using TurboTax and hired me because this year he bought out his partner on a duplex they owned. Lived in one half, rented the other. 
So I’m inputting the depreciable assets, and I notice that the rental half is $368,000 with $100,000 for land. The duplex was bought for $930,000. It seems to me he is depreciating the entire rental unit and not just his half. When I asked him about it, he said “I just followed what TurboTax told me to do”. It seems the first two years The whole property was rented. I guess TurboTax didn’t ask about taking it out of use. Or he didn’t understand what they were asking. So there’s only 6 years of over depreciation. 

He’s starting to push back on correcting the depreciation.  He keeps insisting his return was ‘easy’. 

So do I fire him? I just sent a stern email. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, joanmcq said:

He’s starting to push back on correcting the depreciation.  He keeps insisting his return was ‘easy’. 

If you don't set the ground rules for the engagement this year, you will regret it.   

Personally, I would tell the client that it is not your practice to produce incorrect tax returns, that it is his choice to correct the prior years, but if he does not, you cannot produce a correct return this year because the carryforwards are incorrect and you will not sign a return you know to be wrong.   Make him make the choice to stay or go.

Tom
Longview, TX

• Like 10

3115 charges as a separate line item too with the explanation that that is the cost of his choosing to not hire a professional in the first place and/or using TurboTax incorrectly. 

That's assuming you think you can train him to be a worthwhile client, otherwise dump him now without wasting any more time.

• Like 9

Well, he wasn't being as big a PITA as I supposed, but then got an email (right after the one where he said he wanted the return done right) and his ex hired a CPA and that CPA is going to do both returns.  Clean my hands of him.

And sent a bill for $500. whether that gets paid or not, I really don't care.

• Like 9