ATX Community

NT QuickBooks Question

Terry D EA

Has anyone been using the premiere desktop version for QB and changed to the subscription based cloud version? I'm looking at doing this very thing and want to know about the functionality of the cloud version. Intuit folks are not very helpful with this. I want to know if the cloud version will allow me as an accountant to serve multiple companies under one subscription or does each company have to have their own subscription. If the latter is true, then this need version will be awfully expensive for folks. Wondering what others are doing with this.

If I remember correctly, when I did a conversion from Quickbooks Desktop to Quickbooks Online (QBO) for a company I was working for, each company had its own account (we had 3 companies for regulatory reasons).   The account owner then gives access to the Accountant and any other users that they want to.   I *think* the accountant was not charged as one of the users for the QBO tier pricing.   It has been a minute since I did this (about 2 years ago) and I was more focused on the data conversion than I was on the price of the accounts.  And of course I had full admin privileges so I never used the Accountant share login.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Tom
Longview, TX

I have been using a different online accounting program where I have the subscription

then I get charged a modest monthly fee for each client that uses the program.

I am considering setting up a long time client (who doesn't currently use my program) on QBO under their subscription allowing me access as their accountant.

Even though it would be more expensive, I think it would be the best approach in the long run.

I do have a client that needs to use the most current desktop subscription version because they process payroll via QB, but if a company doesn't run payroll, pre 2021 desktop version should still work.  FYI the subscription version is exactly as the desktop version and I don't think it's cloud based.  There are third party companies that run the desktop version on a cloud.

I like Right Networks but yes, they are expensive. I have been thinking about Right Networks hosting Pro-Series and QB but I am pretty sure that is the $200.00 per month. I know that is the charge through Drake. This is a year of change for me and a ton to consider. I don't have time to evaluate anything yet so just asking questions for now.

3 hours ago, cbslee said:

Catherine, just so you know Intuit is moving the desktop version to a annual subscription.

Yup, and I'm going to make sure I have the last non-subscription version and then turn off all updates. If need be, I'll move to Medlin Accounting or even green ledger sheets. If I have to pay monthly for access to my own data, it's not mine. Ain't happenin' but that's me. You decide what's best for you. 

• Like 4

For storage (such as retirement) paper rules (or failing paper, PDF's on multiple machines/storage methods). Computers fail. Internet connections fail. Servers fail.  You cannot meet the IRS regs by "hoping" you can access the needed data.

It is interesting to discuss the "ownership" of things.  I agree, the data is the property of whomever created it.  It should be something the creator has ability to retain.  Thus, printing (or creating PDF) records is suggested, since there is no way to guarantee electronic data can be "used" by other software.

The software and resources which can be used to manipulate said data?  That is usually licensed for use, with no transfer of ownership.  Even if the licensee wants to allow others to use their license "just to view" the data, the other party, such as an accountant, is likely going to need a license of their own, since they are benefiting from the software - even though they are not manipulating the data.

I actually get this type of question often.  Such as "I am the only one using the software so I want to install it on every machine I own" (did the computer company give you each machine?).  Or even more applicable, "Can my accountant use my license?" (The accountant, unless manipulating the data, needs your reports, not the software".

Going back to the beginning, software was ruled to be copyrighted, in the same manner as a book.  Meaning copies (yes kids, software was formerly distributed on hard media!) were not allowed unless the copyright holder gave permission.

In my case, our model for our non payroll programs has recently changed to buy once.  No ongoing support is included, but is available on a pay per use basis.  No one has needed to pay for support yet, but we have been doing this for 40 years, so the software does self support...  We do watch for multiple installs, and do terminate licenses for those who fail to comply after several gentle reminders.

For Payroll, it is an annual license.  When the license expires, no more new data can be entered, but access to existing data is not stopped.  Same as above, we can catch those who "share" their license.

• Like 3

I Agree Catherine! I upgraded to the Final QuickBooks Accountant Pro 2021 (Desktop Version) last Fall.

It works great, No subscription fees etc. No Nagging Critical Upgrade Notice. The only caveat

I found that I had available with the previous version was that you could open a 2nd company

at the same time. I found this very helpful with my Intercompany Transactions, but not a game changer

of going subscription version for the 50 entities I do the accounting for. I will use excel or green ledger paper

first before going subscription mode.

• Like 3

Dennis, I know what you are saying.  But this is where I am.  The last copy of QB I bought was 2019. I think I bought it at the end of 2018. Installed it on my computer.  It's a desktop model, and I don't need to run the latest models anything.  I'll keep it for years. Then I bought a new computer.  I could not get QB to migrate to the new computer.  So I have 2 computers sitting side by side on my desk; the old one for QB, the new one for everything else.

Except this year, I couldn't get QB to import any data at all.  Kept saying I had to 'upgrade' to their new version which is a subscription model.  F*#k that.  I need to access QB to do my one 990, so they gave me one of their licenses.  They get 5 and usually use one.  Now I'm good for this year at least.

I always hated that QB made one have to update every few years because even the accountant version only looked back a couple of years.  Now they want you to update every year or go to QB online.  I don't want QB online.  Every other program I have (like Office) I buy when I get a new computer or transfer from the old computer to the new.  I'm ranting now so I'll quit. 

• Like 2

@joanmcqNo problem here with your ranting.   I still work off QB 2003.   I have the install codes, can move it to any computer I own and I keep a copy of the 2003 license in the container with the CD that says I can load it on any computer I own.   Don't know if I could pull the trigger on subscription to Intuit.

Tom
Longview, TX

• Like 4

Thanks for all the replies. I'm in agreement with the majority here. However, I can't go back as far as Tom, you got me by one year. But, I disposed of those years anyway. QB never told me that when I bought the bundle for 2021, 2022 version came free. What??? Intuit giving something free??? I couldn't believe it either. Anyway, I've gone to the 2022 desktop version and will run that forever or as long as I can. Just cause they don't support it any longer doesn't mean it won't work. I don't use QB for payroll so that is a mute point. I know Dennis will not agree with me but, let' go way back to when you bought a record or cassette tape, or 8-track for that matter. If you owned a tape player for the house and one in each car or truck you owned, you could play it in as many devices as you wanted. Even in your friends car. I know ATX used to, and Drake still does, you can install their software on as many machines as you want. We are all in business to make money but I think greed gets in the way as well. 

• Like 6

It's official:

"Intuit has announced changes to QuickBooks Desktop for 2022. Most notably, Intuit will now only be selling its Pro, Premier, and Mac products as Pro Plus, Premier Plus and Mac Plus subscriptions."

"Users will only be able to install QuickBooks Desktop 2022 on computers running 64-bit Windows."

• Like 2
  • Angry 2