ATX Community

Proseries

ILLMAS

13 hours ago, ILLMAS said:

Since 1993 when it was called Turbo Tax and since 2008 I process returns in ATX and ProSeries.

This is my second year using ProSeries after 25 years using ATX / Saber.  I've found that ProSeries allows me to complete returns more quickly and offers a user-friendly interface. The other significant upgrade are the enhanced calculations that ProSeries offers.  When dealing with multi-state returns, ProSeries handles the calculations without having to subscribe or pay for any additional "enhanced calculations" programs.  

In addition, the use of their portal is included in the program price.  On ATX, I had to pay an additional fee for the portal.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Yardley CPA said:

I've found that ProSeries allows me to complete returns more quickly and offers a user-friendly interface.

They've changed it hugely since I tried it back in 2004-ish, then. At that time it was the clunkiest and least-intuitive program I had ever tried to use. Hated it from the first and stuck it through for a couple of years helping a friend at his tax office with a couple of nasty returns that were beyond his ken.

1 hour ago, Catherine said:

They've changed it hugely since I tried it back in 2004-ish, then. At that time it was the clunkiest and least-intuitive program I had ever tried to use. Hated it from the first and stuck it through for a couple of years helping a friend at his tax office with a couple of nasty returns that were beyond his ken.

I guess they must have because I am completing returns much more quickly than with ATX.  Don't get me wrong, that's not bashing ATX in any way.  I enjoyed my time with ATX but their price point made me look elsewhere.  I've found the transition from ATX to ProSeries to be relatively smooth.  The biggest advantage for me is the way it handle multistate returns compared to ATX.  

• Like 3

I did ATX/Saber for quite a few years. After the 2012 debacle I tested half a dozen options including ProSeries. Like Catherine, I found it a bit clunky. Ended up with something else for one year, then went to Drake. I found that I was doing returns in about 75% of the time.

I had some big issues with Drake last year resulting from the change in ownership. I called support more in that one year than I had in the previous 8 or 9 combined. I switched to TaxWise this year. That lasted less than a week. Support was horrid. "We expect CPAs to know how to do that" I know how, I just can't find where to make the entry. They couldn't find it either! Another time they suggested I call the IRS to ask for guidance. It was not a tax question--it was another software use question! I bit the bullet and came back to Drake. All the issues I had last year were resolved over the off-season and I'm once again a happy camper.

Given I can count on one hand the number of years I expect to continue doing this, I suspect I'll be with Drake from here on out. IF I'm forced to change, based on your experience I might give ProSeries another look.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Yardley CPA said:

I guess they must have because I am completing returns much more quickly than with ATX.  Don't get me wrong, that's not bashing ATX in any way.  I enjoyed my time with ATX but their price point made me look elsewhere.  I've found the transition from ATX to ProSeries to be relatively smooth.  The biggest advantage for me is the way it handle multistate returns compared to ATX.  

ATX's price is what attracts most people, but if you do multistate, you'll want to buy the Advantage version. ATX handles multistate corporations and partnerships very well.

Like most here, I've used 7 different programs over the years (including Drake and Intuit), but I'm the fastest with ATX. I can really fly around a return. Until the only return is I need to do is my own, I'm sticking with ATX.

• Like 5

I've only ever used Pro, starting in 1997.  Because it's rather pricey I've downloaded various others over the years, but have always decided that for me the extra price is worth it over having to learn how to use other software. The older I get, the less I like dealing with change. :)

• Like 2

Been a ProSeries customer since the days of when Intuit bought out Parsons Personal Tax Edge.  I did use ATX for a few years for entitiy returns when it was explained to me the ATX program was basically built upon excel sheets.  Maybe it is differnet now.  I moved all returns over to ProSeries and haven't looked back. 

19 minutes ago, JimTaxes said:

Been a ProSeries customer since the days of when Intuit bought out Parsons Personal Tax Edge.  I did use ATX for a few years for entitiy returns when it was explained to me the ATX program was basically built upon excel sheets.  Maybe it is differnet now.  I moved all returns over to ProSeries and haven't looked back. 

Having been a Parsons Tax Edge user and losing them to Intuit is the reason that I will never use an Intuit product.  They purchased and trashed a beautifully operating program and almost put a lot of us out of business.  Fortunately, I found Saber and have been with them through their entire evolution to what ATX is today.  I have never had a serious issue with either Saber or ATX and due to my age, will probably stay with them until the end.  The assistant that I am training is learning and loves the program as well.  I, personally, am too old to make a drastic change at this point.

• Like 4

Parsons was my first tax software after years preparing by hand. Back in those days (early '90s), I often called Bob Parsons to talk about several of his software products (QuickVerse, MoneyCounts, Membership Plus). When Bob & Martha Parsons split up, they sold Parsons Technology to Intuit. Intuit killed off the tax software and sold the rest. Bob did okay. After a brief time off, he founded GoDaddy!

You heard right. ATX was originally built on Excel sheets but they moved away from that long ago.

Dang! These trips down memory lane always end the same way...me feeling really old!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cbslee said:

I used  Parson Tax Edge as my second tax program before ATX.

Don't remember the name of the first program, it was from Florida.

My first program was a pencil and paper; second was a typewriter and a copy machine; third was Parsons and on to ATX.  And away I went.

• Like 3