ATX Community

IRS claims improved service

Lee B

"Thanks to Inflation Reduction Act resources, the IRS delivered dramatically improved
service in Filing Season 2023.The IRS achieved 87% Level of Service, exceeding Secretary
of the Treasury Janet L. Yellen’s goal of 85%. The agency also answered 2 million more
calls through live assistance, cut phone wait times to four minutes from 27 minutes,
served 100,000 more taxpayers in-person, digitized 80 times more returns than in 2022
through the adoption of new scanning technology, cleared the backlog of unprocessed
2022 individual tax returns with no errors, launched two new digital tools, and enabled a
new direct-deposit refund option. This marks a vast improvement over 2022, when, due
to a lack of resources, the IRS hit just 15% Level of Service to taxpayers and millions of
refunds were delayed for months."

I made several time consuming  calls regarding Form 941 last year , but no calls this year.

I still have a unresolved CP 2000 that I  originally responded to by mail back in December 2021?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, cbslee said:

"Thanks to Inflation Reduction Act resources, the IRS delivered dramatically improved
service in Filing Season 2023.The IRS achieved 87% Level of Service, exceeding Secretary
of the Treasury Janet L. Yellen’s goal of 85%. The agency also answered 2 million more
calls through live assistance, cut phone wait times to four minutes from 27 minutes,
served 100,000 more taxpayers in-person, digitized 80 times more returns than in 2022
through the adoption of new scanning technology, cleared the backlog of unprocessed
2022 individual tax returns with no errors, launched two new digital tools, and enabled a
new direct-deposit refund option. This marks a vast improvement over 2022, when, due
to a lack of resources, the IRS hit just 15% Level of Service to taxpayers and millions of
refunds were delayed for months."

I made several time consuming  calls regarding Form 941 last year , but no calls this year.

I still have a unresolved CP 2000 that I  originally responded to by mail back in December 2021?

I will believe it when I see it.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

"As of March 4, 2023, taxpayers made a total of 17 million attempts to contact the IRS by calling the various customer service toll-free phone assistance lines. The IRS reported that 4.4 million calls were answered with automation, and telephone assistors answered 3.5 million calls and provided an 80.6% level of service with a five-minute average speed of answer."

Now I understand. They included every automated response as a successfully answered call🙄

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Thumbs Down 1

I had a client yesterday with a balance due notice from 2021.  It didn't appear to be first notice since it didn't have the line by line changes section.  Rather than wait on hold for hours on the phone, I asked if we could set up an IRS account for her.  She agreed and I was able to figure out that 2 of the estimated payments they told me they made for 2021 somehow got posted to 2019 tax year.  Of course she then remembered that they received a refund that they didn't know what it was for.  LOL!

I think I'm going to go the online route rather than phone calls going forward if the client is willing.  Much easier!

• Like 4

I just got a notice today about something missing from a Ty20 paper return. Maybe they are catching up a little? Of course it is a return with a refund, since a balance owed would likely have been processed a bit more timely. Or maybe I should have filed it one day late as it would likely have been opened sooner. 

• Like 2

I responded to a CP 2000 related to TY 2019  which the IRS mailed in November 2021.

So far we have received a letter from  the IRS dated April 30, 2022 saying that they needed 90 days more time.

This was related to a tax return Form 1040 that was efiled back in February 2020 over 3 years ago.

So far still waiting🙄

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 2
  • Angry 1

My struggle has been with the CAF unit. I obtained a CAF number numerous years ago. I moved to SC in the fall of 2021. Changed all my addresses on everything. First 2848 I did since the move, I checked the box new address. As of yesterday, the CAF unit still has my old address. I called the EA line and they couldn't help nor could the PPS. No known numbers to contact the CAF unit. The action to take was to fax the information to the CAF unit asking them to update the address. I am not very positive this will work but we'll see.

On another note, how can you find the status of a POA that was faxed? I did one yesterday online with the client and it still says pending on my end and no authorizations on the client end. In my experience, the quickest way to get the POA to the CAF is through the PPS. They don't really care for the wait time for the fax to arrive but all I can say is fix the system and make it better for all.

• Like 2