ATX Community

Last Win 10 OS Update

Lee B

"Windows 10 22H2 will be the final version of the operating system, Microsoft said in a blog post on Thursday.

Moving forward, all editions of Windows 10 will be supported with monthly security updates until October 14th, 2025,

when Microsoft will end support."

• Angry 2

Always good to monitor EOS dates. Win 10 to 11 is the first one I am good saying to just update rather than buying a new box with the new os preinstalled.

But, I still go on a 3 year new box cycle, so my backup/old box is no more than 6 years old.

Box is a loose term. I swapped to surface pro tablets as they are good portable, stationary, and can be well secured. 

On 4/28/2023 at 12:35 PM, Medlin Software, Dennis said:

Until the EOS date, sticking with 10 is a valid option. After the EOS date, it is negligent (and likely indefensible) for those managing data for others to keep using 10.

I will stick with 10 as long as it is supported.  My hardware is not receptive to updates to 11.  I am not ready or able to invest in all new hardware; nor do I want to.

• Like 3

Still have a few PC's with Win 7 on them.  Runs everything we throw at them, even new software and or drivers for new hardware.  Microsoft has been throwing the ole, "end of service" date at consumers for years.  If it isn't broke !!!  

• Like 4

On 4/29/2023 at 9:04 PM, cbslee said:

The beta version of Win 12 was released last month.

The full version of Win 12 is expected to be released mid 2024.

b

I was wondering about this.  I had heard Win 12 was coming.  I have Win 10 and I have been reluctant to upgrade an existing 'box'.  I have been going with a new 'box' every three years and getting the latest OS.  My current 'box' is in year 3 but if Win 12 coming, I may continue for a year 4 before getting the new 'box' with Win 12.

• Like 1

Fake News or Conspiracy theory alert....I have no proof for what I am about to say.

I would guess that Microsoft knows that a lot of people (like me) do not upgrade their OS, they get a new computer with the new OS pre-loaded.   Could it be that they are trying to get more new computers out there so they can pre-load with Edge and the new AI Bing and add the new AI features to their Office suites?   Also, I have heard they are not selling the Office Suite as a product any more, only as a subscription, so if you are updating your OS and getting a new machine, you would also have to move to their subscription model for Office products?   More recurring revenue to impress Wall Street?

Just me thinking about how I think the mega tech companies are looking to get more and more of our hard earned money.

Tom
Longview, TX

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Tom, could be, I have no idea.  For me, I cannot continue to provide reasonable support for my own software, after a few years.  Since it is accounting/payroll software, it should be kept current.  But, I get folks who write and ask for support for decades old versions, which I have not used myself in decades.  I even get requests for help with my DOS based versions from the 80's and 90's.  While I have yet to simply say no, my policy is no support unless a current version (meaning within a year or two old).  Just imagine, digging up an old version for me to reinstall, some time to get familiar again, then deal with whatever the issue is.  No one would pay for my time to do so, even if I offered paid support.

Those who have care of PII of others, this is a non issue.  Common sense and liability means you cannot afford to use an outdated OS, fail to keep current, etc.  For most here, a PII case would be end of business, and maybe bankruptcy (depending on insurance coverage).  The IRS has something to say in their rules for those who are subject to IRS rules.

Whether or not your existing hardware is reasonably safe is a more personal decision.  Anything reasonably modern can run W11, and likely W12.  The issue is whether or not the machine has the current security stuff (bitlocker, secure boot, etc.).  MS is likely done with major Windows changes - since they merged all users into essentially what was their former NT path (all the "users" stuff).

Really good point about Office. I'm perfectly happy with my old MS Office Home & Business 2019. I'm a sole proprietor and spend money on tax prep, but the peripherals like Office I don't use often enough to renew every year or go to their new subscription/monthly plan. Boo. Well, I'll be talking to my outside tech guy about my OS 10 desktop and how long I can keep it as my primary biz computer, how long it's safe for tax prep, anyway. 

Just now, Lion EA said:

Really good point about Office. I'm perfectly happy with my old MS Office Home & Business 2019. I'm a sole proprietor and spend money on tax prep, but the peripherals like Office I don't use often enough to renew every year or go to their new subscription/monthly plan. Boo. Well, I'll be talking to my outside tech guy about my OS 10 desktop and how long I can keep it as my primary biz computer, how long it's safe for tax prep, anyway. 

I have been using open office for many years, and was a user of "as-easy-as" before that.

W10 is no longer safe to use after the end of support data mentioned in the OP.  Why?  No more security updates.  Those here manage data which must be kept secure, and after the above date, no one can consider W10 secure, period.  If your machine runs W10, it should runs W11 as well.  Whether or not your machine is secure is another matter (hardware security, software security, physical security).

• Like 1

My tech guy specializes in tax prep offices (and lawyers), so I'm comfortable with my current security. (I have him on a monthly retainer.) The above date is not until October 2025, so I don't feel an urgent need to update my OS or buy a new computer with a new OS in 2023. But, I stay in touch with him.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Lion EA said:

My tech guy specializes in tax prep offices (and lawyers), so I'm comfortable with my current security. (I have him on a monthly retainer.) The above date is not until October 2025, so I don't feel an urgent need to update my OS or buy a new computer with a new OS in 2023. But, I stay in touch with him.

Who knows where we all will be by October, 2025?  I have already been told that my not so old computer will not update to Win 11, so my plan is to coast for at least another year.  My techie stays on top of this so I will let him worry about it.  When I have to update, I might just have to retire.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jklcpa said:

Mine won't either. I believe it's an internal hardware issue.

It is an internal hardware issue.  Either they figure out a workaround or a lot of people will close up shop and just continue to use their current OS for personal computing.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, mcb39 said:

It is an internal hardware issue.  Either they figure out a workaround or a lot of people will close up shop and just continue to use their current OS for personal computing.

Not sure a 500 purchase every half decade is a reason to close. Can find cheaper on sale.  The big issue, hardware, is very likely security related (secure boot and the like) and candidly, likely means the current computer is not as safe as something more reasonably current.

TPM hardware was available at least a decade ago IIRC.

How time flies.  However, I would like to enjoy some profit rather than invest in five computers to replace the ones that are working perfectly well.  Technology is finally beginning to pass me up.  I find myself unwilling to deal with it much longer.  The cost of doing business is beginning to outweigh the satisfaction that I get from offering a fair and decent service.

• Like 1