ATX Community

NT Does anyone know if I can stop the update to Windows 11 popup that just started?

NECPA in NEBRASKA

The last time that Windows forced an update on my computer (after I had told it not to update), it really screwed it up. I prefer to buy a new computer with 11 on it. I hate that I will probably need to buy a new one before I retire next year, but I probably won't have a choice. If I can keep my desktop running and updated until the end of 2024, then I will get a laptop as a desktop replacement that is more convenient for travel and smaller for when we move. 

I know that I am dragging my feet about upgrading, but I hate to break something that is working so well.

• Like 1

I agree with delaying the upgrade to Win  11, since upgrading a current system is a bit more risky with respect to your current installed programs

If you do an online search, you will find instructions about how to do this. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, cbslee said:

I agree with delaying the upgrade to Win  11, since upgrading a current system is a bit more risky with respect to your current installed programs

If you do an online search, you will find instructions about how to do this. 

Thank you. I had done online research, but some of their methods scared me. I am pretty uncomfortable making changed to the registry. I was hoping that somebody on here knew an easier way. I will just keep ignoring it as long as it still says it's optional. 

8 hours ago, Pacun said:

Just out of curiosity, what operating system are you using right now? Sorry to have that simple question before suggesting to move to windows 11 or not.

I'm using Windows 10. It has worked great. Now I have probably jinxed myself. I keep hoping that Microsoft will fix 11 before I buy a new computer. My son is trying to talk me into a MAC, but I am not about to try something that different for now.

2 hours ago, Pacun said:

You should be able to survive for the next tax season next year with Windows 10 but you should:
1.- Back up your data
2.- Run all windows critical updates now that tax season is over

1a.  TEST your backup to prove it has all the information you intend, and to prove you can successfully restore. If you do not prove you can properly restore, then backing up is likely a waste of time.  ESPECIALLY if you are not self managing your backup (selecting files and folders manually).  Backup assistants usually default to saving certain folders, which may or may not contain all the information you want to backup.  If I had a $20 (inflation) for every customer who thought they had a solid backup, or had received something useful from their computer tech...

• Like 3