ATX Community

Windows 11

Christian

I am just about ready to go ahead and install Windows 11. Insofar as I know ATX users can now update their systems and ATX supposedly will run just fine using it. If any of you experienced problems using Windows 11 with ATX please note it in our blog although to date I don't recall seeing any. Many thanks.

• Like 2

I installed Windows 11 a couple of months after it came out and I have had no issues but, I use my computer for business not for cool things. I have never had any problems with ATX not even when people were having a lot of issues.

• Like 4

In all seriousness, if one has any concerns about updating their OS, it would be better to do a fresh install on another machine (or obtain a preinstall on a new machine), then move over your apps and data. Doing this will reduce the risk of issues exponentially!

I have been using computers since just before there were consumer available models.  I am still learning things which I would think are not issues.  My recent, which I think I posted on this BBS (age related reference) was a built into Windows reinstall of Windows, and how it offered no options NOT to wipe out the "program files" folders.  So while not falling into "line" for installation of the software I license to others (I force install into a root folder), I had ignored this option for most apps I use, and suffered because of my complacency.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Medlin Software, Dennis said:

In all seriousness, if one has any concerns about updating their OS, it would be better to do a fresh install on another machine (or obtain a preinstall on a new machine), then move over your apps and data. Doing this will reduce the risk of issues exponentially!

I totally agree!

• Like 3

So essentially you are advising to buy a new machine after Windows stops supporting Windows 10 for those of us who are not computer techies. I usually do this and keep the old machine using it for other purposes protected by PC Matic. My old one runs Windows 7 and has had no problems and will get canned by the current one I guess.

5 minutes ago, Christian said:

So essentially you are advising to buy a new machine after Windows stops supporting Windows 10 for those of us who are not computer techies. I usually do this and keep the old machine using it for other purposes protected by PC Matic. My old one runs Windows 7 and has had no problems and will get canned by the current one I guess.

Easiest upgrade is with a new machine. You have your prior machine as a backup. I’ve installed new versions one current machine, but I have a separate machine as a backup at all times.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Christian said:

The "relatively" safe method, barring a new machine, is to setup a second machine, and use it exclusively for a bit.  This ensures you have everything you need on the second machine.  At that point, upgrade the other machine.

The more risky method is to just go ahead and update your main machine.  This assumes you have known good (AND tested) backups.

Candidly, I don't always follow my own advice.  But, and this is a "large" but, I have many known good and tested backups I can restore from, and know I can restore - from scratch if needed - in a few hours at most.  I have a reasonably current second machine at the ready at all times, an alternate collecting dust at my feet, I can "borrow" a different one from a family member, and if I really had to, I can get a new machine within an hour.

My former advice was to simply plan on (meaning budget time and $) for a new machine for each new version of Windows.  This keeps your machine current as well as having a clean install of Windows.  Still likely the best advice.  While machines are not getting noticeably faster for the average user, there have been hardware security updates we all should use.  Consider - a client asking what OS you are using, and what hardware - and whether or not you are current enough to be able to reply in a professional manner.  Not professional, for instance, is "I am using 'insert dead OS version here' on a 5 year old computer".

• Like 1

On 5/23/2023 at 12:12 PM, cbslee said:

I totally agree!

Of course, I said I would  live and die with Win 10.  Well, since the explosion, I have purchased two new laptops with Win 11; one, because I had to (See FYI Explosion) and the second because it was too good a deal to pass up.  Once I did the deed, I didn't look back.  I have happy homes for both laptops that I am replacing.  That only leaves me with my WORK desktop, if and when I must.  Much as we hate it, we have to move with the times and bear in mind that Win 12 Beta is already out.  Once the crush is on, Win 11 computers will be at a minimum and pricy.  (My thinking, anyhow).  I am likely the oldest person on this board, but I don't intend to quit anytime soon.  

• Like 2

I got another reminder from Microsoft on upgrading to Windows 11. I decided to download it and it downloaded seamlessly and later upgraded itself. I don't know how long they will support Windows 11 but it will likely exceed my remaining time as a tax guy. And I now have no need to buy another computer hopefully. 

• Like 4

I  am not downloading or updating anything.  Because of the explosion, I was kind of forced to purchase a new laptop.  I, then, purchased another to replace one office machine.  I can't say that I am crazy about Win 11, but have months to learn it.  My main ATX machine for creating, printing and filing returns will remain at Win 10 for this year.  I am having unexpected Win 11 issues; such as printer drivers, etc.  Cannot make the chip reader work properly either.  

This is a work in progress.  Good thing I have an IT friend who knows what he is doing.  It takes a lot more than just installing a new OS.  I am glad now that I didn't wait until the eleventh hour because I am on vacation and can obsorb the pain much more easily.  I am a Senior Citizen who tries to stay on top of tech.  So said, let's see what happens going forward.

• Like 1