ATX Community

Lawyer submits ChatGPT created fake court cases

Lee B

"A lawyer is in trouble after admitting he used ChatGPT to help write court filings that cited six nonexistent cases invented by the artificial intelligence tool.

Lawyer Steven Schwartz of the firm Levidow, Levidow, & Oberman "greatly regrets having utilized generative artificial intelligence to supplement the legal research performed herein and will never do so in the future without absolute verification of its authenticity," Schwartz wrote in an affidavit on May 24 regarding the bogus citations previously submitted in US District Court for the Southern District of New York."

Unfortunately this is just the beginning. It's already hard enough to decipher what's real and what's fake!😠

• Thumbs Down 1
  • Angry 2

I have seen, on major sites, "news" articles which are clearly not edited or fact checked.  I am hearing programmers are using AI as their framework / starting point for code.

It is a dilemma for certain, but not new.  I remain old (school) and create my own code.  I am not above reviewing snippets of code from others for things - which I then follow but not copy/paste.  The issue is if whatever is used as the framework contains an unnoticed error, it propagates from something like AI or snippet, as once used by others, it becomes the "norm" rather quickly.

None of this is new, we have seen things formerly of mostly trust go away (photo editing).  The problem, as I see it, is we now must use (now un)common sense as we cannot automatically believe what we see, read, observe, or are told.  As with critical thinking and ethics, we have a severe lack of common sense in society.

There are new trusted Uncle Walter sources we can just believe at face value, and with even modest effort, one can find something to back nearly any opinion/side, and claim it is the truth.

Times have changed so much, that weeks later, I still struggle to accept I observed great, over the top, service from a used car dealer.  Helped someone buy a car from a car rental sales office, and they followed through on every item they stated, even beyond the contract.

• Like 4

This story gets more interesting. It turns out that Steven Schwartz  did not ask ChapGPT to create the court cases.

When he asked ChatGPT for court case cites, ChatGPT went ahead and created them.

When you start to use ChatGPT, Open AI's disclosure is, "May occasionally create incorrect information."🙄

• Like 1
  • Angry 1

As much as some people hate the IRS, we need to follow their policy.  Everything in the 1040 is false until you prove it correct. 

We need to change our mentality and assume everything is fake until proven it is correct.  The lawyer should have assumed that everything was false and verify every case mentioned in his AI report.

NFT and block technology will help us in that regard.  Embrace AI, NFT and block technology and we should be OK. 

1 hour ago, ILLMAS said:

Can ChatGPT make someone wealthy?  Asking for a friend.

I expect it has already made more than a few a nice sum.

On the backs of others who published data and did not protect it from things like web scraping. Unless the source is public domain or license was granted, it may be based on a fair amount of stolen data. 

• Like 1