ATX Community

NJ NR Amended help please

BulldogTom

We made a Boo-Boo on our client's NJ Non-Resident return for 2021 and just discovered the mistake when we were filing the 2022 return.   Can anyone give me a few tips on Amending?   Looks like I have to use a NJ 1040X as I don't see an NR that I can amend.   Can I e-file it or is it better to mail in with the attachments?

Client is a CA resident who has an interest in a partnership from NJ.  We made an error on the NJ K-1 entry screen.

Thanks in advance.

Tom
Longview, TX

Tom,

I believe you have to paper file, as you need to send in all the supporting documents, even for items not being amended.  I believe when you amend the NJ 1040NR it show the total that should be paid or refunded as if the amended return was the correct return.  You may need to net the two returns together to get the correct payment or refund amount.  

On 6/6/2023 at 8:22 PM, BulldogTom said:

How do I show the amount paid with the originally filed return.

You do not report an amount like you do on a NJ-1040X.  You need to take the corrected return less the previously filed return to come up with the new amount due.  My guess is that NJ will add the two payments together which will equal the corrected return.