ATX Community

Kicked Off QF Message Board!!!

Lion EA

What did I do to deserve this? Yesterday, dCock4 was logged onto the QF message board instead of me. (Who is he, anyway?) When I log in as Lion, I can see the list of posts but cannot respond nor start a new thread nor go into my profile nor.... No one from QF has answered my email. No one on the telephone so far supports the message board (I'm on hold again for the second day). And, I just ordered their new Special Situations handbook; maybe I'll cancel that order! Shades of ATX all over again.

Lion, I don't think you have been kicked off of QF message board. I expect that what has happened is that somehow your password has been deleted or damaged in the process of the moderator trying to fix a password program error. Or the fact that you can login with "dCock4" handle might imply that someone has hacked your password and changed your handle. While it is true that QF staff appears to not be answering problems, I expect that it is because they are still trying to figure out what is going on with their board. I posted my problem of not being able to change my password and it took 3 or 4 days for them to respond. The staff correcting my login and password problem may have been the culprit that screwed up yours. Give them time and they will get it right.

The telephone numbers customer service sent me to all led to tech support for PPC's online research products; not one of them had ever even heard of the message board. I was logged on as dCock4 but don't know his password, so could make no changes. I'm appalled that a tax message board that must know about security and privacy could allow a member to hack into my account and log on under his name on MY computer! Anyway, the techies did discover that although the name Lion still existed as a member, both the username and password were blank for Lion in their database. So, I couldn't do anything as Lion nor as dCock4. Filling in their database still didn't allow me to log on from my computer. They then set up a new screen name Lions and password, so I can now -- or at least last night, haven't been over there this morning -- read and post and re-setup the Lion name. I admit I'm an old woman and not very computer literate now that my children aren't around to help, but I'm a bit scared to use that board again for fear dCock4 or someone else will hack into my computer. This is the computer I'll use next tax season. Thanks, Jack, for shedding some light on this for me.

Lion, any of the professional tax message boards are safe for your computer. The message board only puts 2 cookies on your computer so that you can login automatically without retyping your password. As far as I have ever seen there had never been a post with the name "dCock4" on the message board until your post. The "dCock4" has been erased on your computer now that you have the cookies with the name that you use today. Actually the "name/password" is within the cookies "quickfinder.com" and/or "www.quickfinder.com" and each time you change your name it is changed on your computer. Don't know what caused the problem but you should have no further problem on the website. Its really no big deal.

Spoke to soon and too optimistically! Lion was still logged in, but apparently their database still hasn't saved my name and password. I can't even sign out. It just tries to process and warns me not to hit any browser buttons but is stuck in limbo: [Macromedia][sqlServer JDBC Driver][sqlServer]Syntax error converting from a character string to uniqueidentifier. is the beginning and then a whole page follows of database items listed on the left and, mostly, "empty string" listed for each of them on the right. I can't sign in as Lions, because Lion remains signed in since it can't process the sign out. I've exited QF, rebooted my computer, etc. Of course, tech support is closed until Monday and I don't expect to be off work for long enough to wait around on hold until at least Friday.

"Shades of ATX all over again"

"Although, I haven't decided whether to renew ATX yet and am still evaluating other software"

Hello Lion,

Although I appreciate and empathize with your frustration about the ATX community being closed,

I am having difficulty relating it to a technical difficulties you experienced with the QF board.

Monkeyman

It's only my frustration at losing the ATX board and my frustration at losing the QF board that's similar from my viewpoint. Obviously, the QF board still exists in it's original format. And, I am often able to log on as one of the three identities that I and a QF techie set up.

"Shades of ATX all over again"

"Although, I haven't decided whether to renew ATX yet and am still evaluating other software"

Hello Lion,

Although I appreciate and empathize with your frustration about the ATX community being closed,

I am having difficulty relating it to a technical difficulties you experienced with the QF board.

Monkeyman

Monkeyman, Lighten up! You took Lion's statement out of context. I sincerely appreciate your

feelings as a current employee of ATX, right?...however, I can certainly see Lion's comparison

of the old ATX board and his frustration with his current situation on yet another board. As you

know, this is a user funded board so prepare yourself for frustrations. Thanks,

Cathy