ATX Community

Leona Helsmley

jainen

Leona Helsmley died today at age 87. The tax prep industry will always honor her for taking the fall, and giving us our best marketing slogan, "Only the little people pay taxes!"

Interesting family, too. She had four marriages but only three husbands, and was survived by 16 descendants but no children. No wonder she couldn't get those 1040's right.

Interesting family, too. She had four marriages but only three husbands, and was survived by 16 descendants but no children. No wonder she couldn't get those 1040's right.

I had no problem with the four marriages but only three husbands, but I had to scratch my head for a couple of minutes about being survived by 16 descendants but no children until I realized that the key word was "suvived".

Gene

>>"Only the little people pay taxes!"<<

Yeah, yeah, I know. Now that it has become public policy, it's not so funny any more. I'll try a traditional joke.

At a business seminar the state tax commissioner asked the audience what sort of taxation they thought was fairest. After a short silence, someone in the back raised his hand and said, "The poll tax."

"But," the commissioner objected, "the poll tax was repealed years ago."

"Right," declared the man. "That's what I like best about it!"