ATX Community

Adobe Acrobat v8

MAMalody

I am looking for a program that I can send client files to and have them password protected. I was told that Adobe Acrobat can do that. I have an old version, v. 4, but it does not do that. Does v. 8 or the pro version do that, therefore, making it worthwhile to update my program?

Mike

Mike:

Following a recommendation I received on the ATX knowledgebase earlier this year, I bought "Click2Convert" for password protecting my pdf documents. I think it was considerably cheaper than buying the full-blown Adobe.

I've found it to be pretty good - had a few problems related to my unfamiliarity with it but overall I've been very satisfied with it. It will password protect pdf files already created, and will convert word, excel, etc to pdf files and then let you password protect them. It puts an icon on the excel & word toobar so you can activate it from within the document.

So "Click2Convert" might be worth looking at, although I'll be interested to hear if others on this forum have better solutions.

I am looking for a program that I can send client files to and have them password protected. I was told that Adobe Acrobat can do that. I have an old version, v. 4, but it does not do that. Does v. 8 or the pro version do that, therefore, making it worthwhile to update my program?

Mike

I have Adobe Acrobat Pro version 6.0 and it allows me to password protect. I have heard that the password protection provided with Adobe is not very good.

Do you have a URL for Click2Convert?

Thanks for the input on Adobe, I may contact the company to see if v.4 is upgradeable.

Any other Adobe experience or other programs out there. I wonder if MajorGeek or Download.com has anything...something else to check out.

Mike

It has been my experience that the password features on most common document formats are pretty weak. They'll stop the average person from opening the file, but in the case of Adobe Acrobat, a quick Google search will find tons of programs that you can buy for less than $25 that will crack a PDF password.