ATX Community

Alternative Software

taxxcpa

I have evaluated several software packages when, a few years ago, ATX could not handle loss carryovers from S-Corps and partnerships in the year of passive gains. I tried TaxSlayer, Tax Act, ProSeries and Drake.

TaxSlayer was probably the worst. It was practically an MS Dos program within Windows. It was one of the cheapest.

Tax Act was the cheapest but also the best for 1040s. It handled the passive losses, allowing it against passive gains. It cost about $ 100. The downside was that it did not have all State returns including the Texas Franchise tax which I needed. Another problem for efile fans is that they charge $ 5.00 for each efiling. Since I don't efile many returns that would be no problem to me.

Proseries and Lacerte worked equally well for 1040s and passive loss carryforwards. They also had all state and other returns but at a much higher cost. For larger practices, the cost would probably be worth it.

Drake was also unable to handle the passive losses, and some other things on a very complex return, but would probably do an excellent job on the majority of tax returns.

My present thought is that I could buy BOTH TaxAct and Drake. I don't think Drake would have any problem with efiling 1099s, and handling all state, corp, LLC, partnership and fiduciary returns. I can get a 50-return pay per return version for $ 500 plus Tax Act for $ 79. I can do 50 or less on Drake and do the rest on Tax Act. I would efile 1099s with Drake and do all non-1040 returns on TaxAct (unless I had a state return which might make Drake a better choice.) Another option would be to pay $ 995 for the unlimited version of Drake plus $ 79 for Tax Act which would still keep the cost at an acceptable level for my practice.

My other option would be to renew ATX. I believe that I would have defiintely renewed if they had at least notified users before shutting down their message board. This lack of consideration seems to imply further disappointments that may arise with next tax season.

I will get a sample version of Drake's 2006 program in May and can determine if it will meet my needs.

I would like to hear what others have to say about various software programs and suggestions for those of us who are not willing to spend several thousand dollars due the limited size of our practices. For those with larger practices, cost is probably not nearly as import as speed and efficiency.

I have been on the phone with Tax Act twice in the last two weeks. They have a package deal that goes like this:

unlimited 1040

all states

unlimited free e-file

price $ 500.00

I got the 2005 program and I like the feel of the program and it goes really fast with jump to features from form to form. Lots of nice worksheets etc.

Only drawback I can see is no conversion program. But they are willing to give you the 2006 program in May of this year so I have all summer to input my deprec schedules etc.

I will then be able to roll that over to the 2007 program.

I figured then I could buy the W2-1099 program from ATX for $ 140.00 and would have my payroll reports solved.

Tax Act also has other bundle prices for those of you that want the 1065 and corp returns also. You just need to call them up and ask for the preparer bundle price.

They are located in Cedar Rapids Iowa and I am in Denison, IA.

So TAXXCPA do not just go by the prices on the website. Call them up and talk to them.

I have not yet made the final decision to change yet as I am not so sure I want to input all my info into a new software this summer... :rolleyes:

Marge Powell

I downloaded TaxSlayer recently. I agree with taxxcpa, it is slightly above a DOS program while the price is right there with REAL programs.

I also tried 2004 and 2005 version of Drake at various times. It had many features I liked however, not as many as MAX. I have ordered a 2006 version of Drake and intend to give it a serious real road test....

I'm an attitude kind of guy and

CCH

has destroyed my confidence in them with one stupid act that demonstrates an attitude of a type that I don't want to be a victim of, amazing isn't it? It isn't even the loss of the ATX forum that bothers me, it is the manner and method of it's elimination that is the most disturbing.

It occurs to me that the person who made the decision to eliminate the ATX board has reached their maximum level of incompetence and will soon be promoted - hopefully to the unemployment line.

As I mentioned on the other thread - I find it ironic that ATX(CCH) eliminated the Forum just before they announced their new prices with significant increases for next year.

I have a small practice out of my home with about 60 returns and 50 efiles. My cost will go from $390 for saber plus $165 for PPR, total of $555. Next year it will be $390 for ATX plus $250 for e-file plus $270 for PRS for a total of $910 almost double. None of that is considering the increased cost of shipping across the board.

I will very seriously look at other products and would appreciate any input about quality and prices. I will be looking at other packages this summer and make a choice before the end of summer.

I might do the same if Tax Act had the TX franchise tax, but they do not list TX as one of the states with forms available. Also, not all non-resident forms are available for non-residents who need to file for temporary employment away from Texas. Every corporation and LLC that I do has to file a Texas Franchise tax, so I need something to supplement TaxAct.

I have been on the phone with Tax Act twice in the last two weeks. They have a package deal that goes like this:

unlimited 1040

all states

unlimited free e-file

price $ 500.00

I got the 2005 program and I like the feel of the program and it goes really fast with jump to features from form to form. Lots of nice worksheets etc.

Only drawback I can see is no conversion program. But they are willing to give you the 2006 program in May of this year so I have all summer to input my deprec schedules etc.

I will then be able to roll that over to the 2007 program.

I figured then I could buy the W2-1099 program from ATX for $ 140.00 and would have my payroll reports solved.

Tax Act also has other bundle prices for those of you that want the 1065 and corp returns also. You just need to call them up and ask for the preparer bundle price.

They are located in Cedar Rapids Iowa and I am in Denison, IA.

So TAXXCPA do not just go by the prices on the website. Call them up and talk to them.

I have not yet made the final decision to change yet as I am not so sure I want to input all my info into a new software this summer... :rolleyes:

Marge Powell

I have used TaxAct Professional for a number of years and found it reliable, accurate, reasonably priced and easy to use. However, there are some supplemental forms it doesn't have. Since I live in Washington, I don't do state income tax forms. TaxAct notifies you when updates are available. I have used it strictly for 1040's. E-file now costs $ 7.95, but I only e-file 15 returns, so the price is still reasonable. When I need out-of-state forms, it costs $ 12.95 per state, which is also reasonable.

I also use the ATX 10 return program, for Partnerships, Corps, 1099's and trusts. Since I do very few, this has worked out well. For a small practice, I would recommend TaxAct. Because of what ATX has done, and because my client base is growing, I am considering alternatives to ATX, possibly TAX Act or Drake.

For new, or smaller practices, I recommend TaxAct.

As I mentioned on the other thread - I find it ironic that ATX(CCH) eliminated the Forum just before they announced their new prices with significant increases for next year.

I have a small practice out of my home with about 60 returns and 50 efiles. My cost will go from $390 for saber plus $165 for PPR, total of $555. Next year it will be $390 for ATX plus $250 for e-file plus $270 for PRS for a total of $910 almost double. None of that is considering the increased cost of shipping across the board.

I will very seriously look at other products and would appreciate any input about quality and prices. I will be looking at other packages this summer and make a choice before the end of summer.

iratax--Isn't 1040 Office exactly what you want for a cost of $595--e-filing for the first 100 return?

Dennis

I was afraid of Max because it is a little overkill for me, but have used it for 2 years now and it is fine. I think that is where they are gradually navigating everyone. I don't think the price for Max went up this year. Could be wrong, though...

I too am aggrieved about the precipitous shutdown of the ATX Communities, which had provided a raft of help whenever one couldn't call (I spent 45 minutes on-hold, with no answer, a week ago) -- or before one even should call -- ATX's support staff; so I feel I must explore alternatives for next year.

Whenever one's 'provider' is bought, the users shoulder the cost, as happened when Intuit bought Lacerte -- which I had 'been happy with' for several years. So that's when I switched to ATX -- what, four or so years ago.

Whom do I look to next? My client base is wildly diverse: I've got "expatriates" in Hong Kong, storefronts in NYC, multistate-visiting consultants, trusts & estates from Michigan to Texas, partnerships & S-corporations all over the place. I'd been happy with ATX's Total Tax Office, but I've really lost the sense that ATX/CCH/Kluwers is going the way I can rely upon.

I'm tempted to re-vist Lacerte, to finally attend one of the several 'seminars' Drake sponsors on Long Island -- my home base -- or even re-visit the products of the largest firms which I'd used when I'd been a Big 8/6/4 employee, almost 10 years ago, before going out on my own.

My point is, ATX @#$%ed me over this year, so, as much as I appreciated being able to hack their worksheets -- whenever they failed to appreciate the finer points of one tax law or another -- I'm prone to migrate to a 'database' system next. It's getting to the point that cost might be secondary to quality-of-service, and ATX definitely lost its 'distinction' of the latter term this Season.

Most grateful for *everything* everyone has to offer on this forum about alternatives to ATX. Very truly yours, a New York CPA

The trend in tax software seems to be for the big companies to buy out the little companies and shut them down. I was with TAASC and loved it. The tax season before the sale, though, I had nothing but trouble with it.

At the IRS Tax Forum last year, I personally asked William if there were any plans for ATX to get sold and he said no, that ATX had a big enough user base and was successful. Well, the next month or two, here comes CCH/Wolters-Kluiter or whatever their name is with a big ol' check and you know the rest. I'm not bashing William, but I admit to a feeling of deja vu in this situation.

I really have enjoyed using ATX and would like to think that everything will be ok, but the "incident" with the message board is troubling. I've never been an especially prolific poster on that or any other board, but I do enjoy reading and learning from the comments of others. And the truth is that there was a whole lot less bashing and complaining on the board this year than in the past. As I stated after the shut down, CCH will probably come up with some "corporatespeak" doubletalk to rationalize what they intended to do from the get-go. Complaining about board whiners as a justification is bs in my opinion.

I think, to protect my business, that I'm going to evaluate some other software. I just cannot risk having some corporate type decide on December 1 to kill off my tax software.

Like many of you, I'm still weighing my options for next year. Up until the week before last, I was planning on renewing TTO with ATX soon after Apr 17. But the way in which the new management pulled the plug on the Community made me pull back & re-think things. If the software & associated services equals this year and price is within reason, I can live without the Community, especially since we have essentially duplicated it here (one again, my thanks to erc for taking on this task). But I remain concerned that the heavy-handed manner employed could be only a first shot across the bow. Are they setting the stage for more unilateral action of some sort? Are they intentionally conditioning their customers for other shocks? What other promises are they likely to make in getting the order, then cancel or fail to deliver when they decide it doesn't fit their objectives? One thing I've learned in business & life is that when someone unexpectedly takes advantage of you, without even the courtesy of a warning or explanation, they are sending a signal that they don't respect you and you should not be surprised if they do it again in the future. I'm not making an accusation against the company or disparaging their business practices - anyone can make an error in judgement. I am saying that they caused my antenna to go up and their long-term intentions remain to be seen.

Transitioning to another program is problematic, but not a huge deal. I transitioned to Microvision several years back (from TurboTax, I think), and then was absorbed into Creative Solutions/Ultra Tax with special price protection, so that was another transition. After a couple of years with them I decided to try ATX for the 2005 filing season. I believe I saved about $1,800 or more each year, so it's been a worthwhile change for me. (I was already familiar with ATX because I was doing some Corp & W-2 work with Zillion Forms & its predecessors, so the transition was pretty easy). But while transitioning can be a headache for 20% or so of your clients due to carryovers or dropped data, it's really no big deal for the other 80%. The initial year is most difficult since you do a lot of double-checking as the returns are being prepared.

Anyhow, my plan right now is to get very familiar with the competition, delay my decision until the last minute, and be prepared to change if I don't like the way I see the wind blowing with ATX. I also plan to use the abrupt termination of the Communitites as a bargaining chip if I do renew with ATX - I don't intend to let that business faux pas go by unnoticed. They will need to compensate me in some manner for the inconvenience they created if they want to retain my business. I like the ATX product and will be content to stay with it provided it continues to meet my business needs as I have defined them, but I won't let the software vendor define or dictate my business needs.

So like others on this forum, I'm keenly interested in staying informed on what's out there as an alternative. For me, it's too early to make any decision for next year but it will be a priority to have a back-up plan if I decide that ATX no longer meets my overall requirements I'll be back here periodically to provide any info I develop on any software vendor, and I hope others will continue to do the same.

I used TaxSlayer Pro this year and was very happy with it. Not a form based entry system but close to it. Used Microvision Tax Relief until they sold out. Have been using TaxAct until this year and thought it was a great program for the money. Many good points and a few bad ones. Some of the things that drew me to TaxSlayer Pro was number one the price. It includes all states, business and free e-file for an unlimited amount of returns. Auto fill on EIN and zip codes. Great features. I found few errors with the program and eventually found they were my errors, not the program.

If anyone out there is looking for a change in software, I would recommend you get their demo (TaxSlayer Pro) and give a try. Test it with one of your more complex returns and I'm sure you will be surprised. Best of luck next season.

I used TaxSlayer Pro this year and was very happy with it. Not a form based entry system but close to it. Used Microvision Tax Relief until they sold out. Have been using TaxAct until this year and thought it was a great program for the money. Many good points and a few bad ones. Some of the things that drew me to TaxSlayer Pro was number one the price. It includes all states, business and free e-file for an unlimited amount of returns. Auto fill on EIN and zip codes. Great features. I found few errors with the program and eventually found they were my errors, not the program.

If anyone out there is looking for a change in software, I would recommend you get their demo (TaxSlayer Pro) and give a try. Test it with one of your more complex returns and I'm sure you will be surprised. Best of luck next season.

:P

I do not understand some of your posts against TS Pro. I have the software from 2000 and have used it since 2002. I thin k if you look at this package over several years your would see how this company tries to improve it software from its users comments after each year. TaxSoftware has to be user tested and be constantly evaluated by its users to be an effective software. For the tax preparer with 1040 business and multi state returns there is none better. It also include all entity returns and unlimited efiling. TaxSlayer demonstrates a continuing commitment to its clients. Don't judge this product by its product in the past. Even the 2006 product will be improved for the 2007 tax season.

As I read Message Boards all software will have its short comings for any given year. TS Pro is a company of tax professionals who developed software for themselves. When you call them you will speak to another tax preparer not some programmer or business executive. Will they sell out? I doubt it. It is owned by the Rhodes family of Augusta, Ga. If you attend the Master's be sure to leave time to visit this company.

I have no interest of anykind in this company other than being extremely satisfied with Tax Slayer Pro which I use.

Your comments have increased my interest in TaxSlayer Pro. It has also received some very favorable commens over on the TaxBook board. The price seems reasonable, and you make a strong case for the company - especially the fact that it is run by tax pros. I'm going to request their demo and try it out on a few extension returns. Any suggestions or shortcuts on how to get up & running in the minimum of time?

Your comments have increased my interest in TaxSlayer Pro. It has also received some very favorable commens over on the TaxBook board. The price seems reasonable, and you make a strong case for the company - especially the fact that it is run by tax pros. I'm going to request their demo and try it out on a few extension returns. Any suggestions or shortcuts on how to get up & running in the minimum of time?

John, if you have DSL or better, you can download their demo.

Bob:

Thanks for the info.

In registering to download the demo, I somehow goofed and I'm getting a message that I'm registered twice, but it won't let me proceed. So I'm going to call them tomorrow, get the problem straightened out, and do the download - hopefully will run a few returns within the next couple of days.

John, I did take a look today at the Taxslayer Pro website just because certain posts here interested me just as they did you. I may still go back and ask for a demo. I only have dialup. In any event, I have definitely not made a decision to leave ATX. I have had virtually no problems with the software. I have never had to call support, but that is mostly because I could usually find the answer to my problem on the Community Board. Hence, the quandry and the concern that this forum may drift solely to tax issues and have very little support for ATX tax programs. On the other hand, I know preparers who use ATX and don't even know about the Community; and if they do, they don't have time or the knowledge to use it. So, there you have it. I am trying to enjoy the slowing down of the tax prep and the lessening of the pressure, but it would be a lot nicer without this cloud. I am sure that I will give it at least another month just to see what happens. I have received the renewal e-mail and also the renewal letter in the mail. :unsure:

I downloaded the trial TaxSlayer program the last two years. I prepared two corporate returns that had been on extension with the program and it worked well. I guess if I had put all my corps on extension I would not have needed to purchase a program that did 1120's. A few days ago I recieved the 2006 TaxSlayer Pro CD in the mail, I had not requested it, so I guess I was just on thier list. I will now take more time to evaluated the program, especially the 1040 which I had not used. They did send me special offers via e-mail through out the year after I had downloaded the program and believe the best offer was down to $695 from the regular price of $895.

Marilyn:

In years past I would occasionally accept a demo offer, load it, and maybe do a parallel run with one or two returns if I got around to it. This year things will be a little different for me. I expect to parallel a dozen or more business & personal returns with at least TaxSlayer and Drake between now and Oct 15. I came over from Ultra Tax 2 years ago and could jump back to them with a minimum of effort and essentially no conversion problems, but the price tag is a little steep for me, so it will stay on the back burner for now.

I won't be jumping at anybody's early discount - the $100 or so of savings isn't worth making a critical mistake this year. You are right about the cloud. My attitude could change in the coming months, but right now I believe ATX would have to give me a "no questions asked" right to a full refund up until late February 2008 before I'd take a chance on them. I want to see the program running with all states and reliable tech support, with no more surprises such as features offered and then withdrawn, before I'm willing to commit. I doubt their sales dept will be willing or permitted to concede that much, so ATX is looking less and less attractive to me as a vendor, even though I like the program itself. The decision will be driven by matters of confidence & trust, as well as features & benefits.