ATX Community

NT-Document Scanner Purchase

Art

I realize that everyone is really pushing for time...but could you give me quick feedback. I just found a new HP 8250 scanner that I can pick up for <$300.00 if I move quickly. I am wanting to scan all my client docs and avoid copying cost for future. Small practice (150 returns) + small business write up & payroll. Wanted to get automatic document feed. Does this sound like a good deal? Do not want to buy more scanner than I need, but the newer HP, Epson, ect that I have looked at all seem to be close to this price. Any suggestions? Thanks.

I also have a small practice, about 80 returns, I purchased a Brother DCP7020 laser printer before last tax season and it has been an excellent scanner and copier. I don't use it for printing, I use a HP laser jet 1320. Only paid around $150 for the Brother. It came with PaperPort document manager. I had a HP scanner prior to te Brother and it dinent even last 1 tax season.

We bought an HP 7650 this year, and so far it hasn't worked two days in a row. HP keeps shipping us replacement pieces, and finally a whole new scanner (which we are waiting for), but so far I have not been impressed. Our admin assistant is threatening to throw the machine down the hill and then make HP come from India to find and fix it because she has gotten sick of trying to get the machine to work. Our plan to eliminate some of the paper copies this year has just totally been shot.

A couple of years ago I bought a Brother MFC 7820N for copying and scanning because it had a document feeder. It's my primary copier although I still keep a Xerox Workcenter because it can reduce and enlarge. My office assistant does the majority of scanning with that Brother. Then last year I bought a Brother MFC 5460CN also with a document feeder to have by my desk when I wanted to quickly scan something. The second one was so cheap I bought one for my son. Then I found refurbished 5460's on Staples website with a rebate so the end cost was $20 - I bought one for a non-profit client.

These are little workhorses and I am very pleased. The 78xx is laser; the 5460 is inkjet, the most expensive part. I rarely use the printer part but still have to replace the cartridges every few months so that it doesn't jam.

Both came with PaperPort but I upgraded that to the Pro 11. I think this setup, for me, is great and am quick pleased with the overall cost and experience. I am very low paper now and love it!

My primary printer is HP LaserJet 1320 which I love as I can print double-sided.

Similar return practice.

Decided that the low end scanners like HP are way to slow and ended up with a Kodak I65 which I paid almost 1800.00 for. 35 pages per minute and does duplex scanning at 70 images per minute. Plus they gave a free version of a high end scanning software that retails in the $3000 to $5000 range (with extra features that most don't need as the free has almost all). Software alone in my opinion was worth the price. Had actually purchased PaperPort right before I purchased this scanner. After using Kodak's software I uninstalled PaperPort. No comparison.

I know that this sounds like a lot, but had the scanners at the level you are talking about and was way to slow. The extra speed of a higher end scanner more than pays for itself over even just a couple of years. Plus I think this level of scanner is substantially cheaper now (800 to 1500 range I think). I would look at Kodak or Fujitsu.

don't be cheap on your business tools, you will pay for it in other ways!

I too had an HP to begin my business. Way to slow. I upgraded to a Fujitsu and it works wonderfully. Fujitsu is a reliable brand that is only found on the internet (I believe). I bought from newegg.com. My current scanner duplex's and is very fast which helps with my efficiency. It cost $800 but was worth every penny to me.

I too had an HP to begin my business. Way to slow. I upgraded to a Fujitsu and it works wonderfully. Fujitsu is a reliable brand that is only found on the internet (I believe). I bought from newegg.com. My current scanner duplex's and is very fast which helps with my efficiency. It cost $800 but was worth every penny to me.

I've had a Brother MFC-8840DN for about three years now. Auto doc feeder, scans quickly (but not duplex; at least that I've found) and easily. ADF doesn't like real flimsy paper like you get with some 1099-MISC's, so those we (=Gwen, usually) do singly. It also copies (and scales larger/smaller), faxes, and prints duplex. It's been a very good workhorse. Prior to that I had an Epson with ADF; the ADF was very slow and the scanner mechanism itself broke. First time I fixed it (but got the Brother), this last time I think I'll just have to junk it; now that it's (WAY!!!) past warranty, it won't be worth the expense.

Don't bother with any scanner that's not meant for office use; it'll drive you nuts until it breaks.

Catherine

Now that is what I am talking about! $500 more than the one you are looking at and worth it.

I've had a Brother MFC-8840DN for about three years now. Auto doc feeder, scans quickly (but not duplex; at least that I've found) and easily. ADF doesn't like real flimsy paper like you get with some 1099-MISC's, so those we (=Gwen, usually) do singly. It also copies (and scales larger/smaller), faxes, and prints duplex. It's been a very good workhorse. Prior to that I had an Epson with ADF; the ADF was very slow and the scanner mechanism itself broke. First time I fixed it (but got the Brother), this last time I think I'll just have to junk it; now that it's (WAY!!!) past warranty, it won't be worth the expense.

Don't bother with any scanner that's not meant for office use; it'll drive you nuts until it breaks.

Catherine

Thanks for all the input. I have always had good luck with HP printers so I was leaning that way for my scanner. The 8250 is meant for heavy office use as I understand it, but I do not have any experience with scanners execpt for the flat bed scan feature on my Epson Stylus RX620. It scans OK, but is single sheet only so will not be useful for large volume scanning. I have had a multifuction Brother machine in the past, but was not pleased with it at all, so I have reservations going that route for a scanner. May need to rethink that in light of the good comments posted here. Also the Fujitsu may be worth looking into. And maybe the Kodak as well. While I am at it, a general thanks to all of you who posted replies to my inquiries this year. This is a truly great source of shared knowledge and professional assistance to me.

IL got a Fujitsu from Newegg.com for about $ 400. Here is a video demostrating it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oH3mQZLpL8

• 2 weeks later...

Just spoke with Art on the phone. Thought a quick synopis of our conversation would be helpful to everyone, so I am copying an email to him regarding scanners from an online store called Scantastik Inc (great place btw)

"Art:

Just found my invoice on the scanner. Was a little cheaper than I remembered (about 1650.00, purchased mid-year in 2005 and still runs great) and it was purchased from Scantastik Inc. Duty cycle is 1,000 pages per day and looks like it is slightly slower than what you are looking at (30 ppm / 60ipm). Still more than sufficient for my purposes today.

I know that this level of performance has come down in price some. I am guessing it can be had in the $800.00’s now. I also think the Kodak i1220 has replaced it (same speeds) and allows you to buy the scanner with and without a flatbed. It also has more advanced features than mine and due to size can fit right on your desk, something mine is too large to do, due to the integrated flatbed. After seeing this one, wish it had been available in 2005.

And it looks like Kodak has reduced the price on the Capture Pro Software as well. Still I don’t think the additional features are necessary for the small practice.

Have a client that has two of the Bowe Bell & Howell, Sidekick 1200 Scanner (one in IL and one in CA) which they are very happy with, and I have used. Personally I think the Kodak is faster and a better buy; and although the software with the Bell & Howell was good, it was not on a par with Kodak’s. But I also know that the software on the Bell & howell is different now, as my clients software was discontinued."

Skantastik is very helpful and will help those looking to upgrade their scanners to the correct model and not oversell. When I purchased I spoke with them and Kodak. The good thing is Kodak confirmed everything Skantastik told me.

Why did I end up with the Kodak? Well I needed the flat bed and I was restricted in space and this one fit the bill. Their new i1220 does a better job, becuase the flatbed is seperate and the i1220 can be set to use minimal space right on your desk. Skantastik has a video of this unit at

http://www.scantastik.com/hardware/kodak/k...anner-i1220.htm

about middle of the page is the link to the video.