ATX Community

I'm So Lonely.......................

Elrod

I am not lonely! I'm ecstatic not to have someone in my office constantly or the phone ringing off the hook. I had to talk to an elderly client this morning twice already to make it about the 30th phone call from her since Jan. 1. I have months of work left to do, but I can't face it today. After 30 years, I am wondering if I can actually keep doing this. I have never been so stressed or depressed during tax season. It was even worse than two years ago when my husband was diagnosed with congestive heart failure and my mom had lung cancer during tax season. I had so many nightmare returns, an audit that cost me 30 hours (because the client didn't organize their information for me like I asked), and the clients were really difficult this year. I have some that are failing mentally and it took me many more hours just to deal with them. I really feel bad for them, because I love most of my clients, but it was just an added burden and I can't clone myself. Everybody said to hire help, but it's not that easy. I'd have to take out a loan for another computer, more office space and the ability to pay wages. Then I'd have to raise prices. I did fire a couple of clients, but I know that I need to thin them out some more. Oh well, enough whining. I need to hit the stores and help the economy.

I paid a very part-time assistant to do the data entry, essentially complete the simpler returns, on my old slow laptop, and charged the client the same amount I did the year before. My profit margin was larger! With desktop prices so low, I will buy a second desktop; but have been waiting until the next thing AFTER Vista. Both my desktop and older laptop are XP. I'd hoped the assistant would organize me and my files and my supplies and my ordering and assemble returns. But, she's sloppier than I am. So, I assembled the client's copy and had her do data entry and some deliveries to the elderly. She's a reasonable typist and proofreader and both of us have reviewed a return that she worked on.

My dogs kept me company all weekend as I weed whacked and then mowed the lawn (well part of it; its not done yet). Lawn was/is so high I had to whack before I mowed as it got a little out of hand this season.

Lonely? You need a dog Elrod! And now I have to keep a sick kitty company...

It was absolutely the best tax year I've ever had. The program worked very well. E-file was great.

My clients were very appreciative and generally we enjoyed working with each other.

My computer worked well and I made a little more money.

So with all that finished--I should be lonely but my Honda Helix greeted me warmly

and yesterday I took a nice long ride and enjoyed God's creation.

Bigdadder

Had a deep tissue massage this morning. Wow, it hurt. She said my back and neck were a mess. I knew that...

Got out Friday and mowed. (I always enjoy that, believe it or not.) My two boys and I did some minor fencing Saturday. Felt good to be outside - bigdadder, you are so right, God's creation is awesome! Daughter came back from a church retreat and signed up for a mission trip.

Getting my hair done this afternoon for the first time in a long time. (Yikes)

Hope everybody enjoys the peace! I'm just doing payroll tax returns very slowly and not caring! Yay!