ATX Community

TRX and ATX Software

George1

I've read quite a few of the comments made on this and one other Community site. The offer really does seem very compelling. The responses by TRX personnel have appeared logical, and the responses by others, many of whom have used ATX products over the years, have seemed good. Many have very glowing things to say.

Now to the heart of my concern, other than TRX delivering what it said that it will. How does ATX Max, or whatever it's name, compare with Intuit? I'm not especially fond of them either, but I've been using their ProSeries products since 1987. And, while there are shortcomings, I've been able to work around them. They're very intuitive and their review has gotten particularly good. I've had, perhaps only three occasions to talk with their support over this long period. Their price structure has become less comptitive as the size of the industry shrink and becomes more oligopolistic in nature.

So, how does ATX compare? Also, what about ATX's ease of use? I've been getting their Zillion Forms for several years and they've been deficient. Also how easy is it to convert from Intuit to ATX.

I've been using Kleinrock research ever since I abandoned CCH and RIA and, while deficient when compared with either, I've learned to get around better with it. Their Express and Quick answers for 1040, 1041, and Business have been reasonably good, but not up to the level of what I've found in The Tax Book.

I would appreciate your comments on anything, but especially on conversion and ease of use.

Thanks.

George

Well, how much are you paying for ZillionForms? If it's close to the $299 for Max through TRX, then it seems to me it would make more sense to buy the TRX package. And then you get the increased functionality along with all the forms. And you can try out the program for those returns that need it.

I have never used ProSeries, so I don't know what it does and does not have. But I assume from the fact that you are buying ZillionForms that it does not have all the forms that you use. What specifically does your current program lack? My guess is that if you are happy with what you are using, you would be better off to stay with it. BUT, I was happy with TAASC, until Intuit ate them, even tho I was paying over $3600 a year for it. And yet one year of using ATX, which cost half as much, and I was happier with it than I had been with TAASC. And for several years, the cost of ATX actually went down, but the program itself actually improved dramatically.

I also know some who buy both ATX and ProSeries, preferring each program for different types of returns. And some who buy both ATX and Drake. And even one who buys both ATX and Lacerte. And with the new deal through TRX that is an even easier choice to make. Perhaps the logical choice would be to do that for a year, and compare both in your actual work flow. Then you can decide which is best for you, because no software is "the best" for every practice.

I signed up for ATX MAX and then took the 3 year deal offered by ProSeries to switch from ATX, locked in for about $1,400 a year which included the organizer, forms, and tax research. 2008 was my last year at the special price, received a call from Intuit telling me that the current price for what I was using is $4,449 per year, but they will give me 30% off, so my cost will be $3,114.30 for the 2009 tax program. I guess I was getting a very good deal, I paid $4,200 instead of $9,343 over the last 3 years.

For 2008, I never called, contacted or posted any support questions for Intuit. I used the Forms program once and never used the tax research. I have to admit, doing a multi-state return in ProSeries really is impressive. They do offer lots of other options that can drastically reduce the cost, but they can't get close to TRX pricing.

Now I have to admit the $299 ATX MAX through TRX is tempting. Most tax research can be found at no cost and forms are readily available on the net. I might have to move up to Total Office so I still have business efiling, although I probably could live without that even. I really would like some input from anyone here who currently uses both ATX and ProSeries for some practical information on the differences. Thanks.

I used ATX and I evaluated ProSeries, even reserved it for 2007 but moved up to ProSystem fx. ProSeries is definitely a better program than ATX with more things, such as multi-state returns, flowing smoothly without overrides. However, ATX does offer more forms. So, you have to evaluate both on your typical clients and also on a couple of your more challenging issues, maybe AMT and credit or kiddie tax or partnership followed by the partners' personal returns or whatever you find difficult to navigate late in the season when you're tired. I though ProSeries had better diagnostics, which was a help when overworked. ATX has this board. Use the ATX 2008 demo to work on your returns on extension. Then re-do some of your typical returns from last year. You have to find what feels comfortable for you. What must you have; what are the deal breakers? What can you live without. What's your typical return. Do you suddenly need that last-minute Form 1099-MISC for a client who didn't send them out?

I used ATX and I evaluated ProSeries, even reserved it for 2007 but moved up to ProSystem fx. ProSeries is definitely a better program than ATX with more things, such as multi-state returns, flowing smoothly without overrides. However, ATX does offer more forms. So, you have to evaluate both on your typical clients and also on a couple of your more challenging issues, maybe AMT and credit or kiddie tax or partnership followed by the partners' personal returns or whatever you find difficult to navigate late in the season when you're tired. I though ProSeries had better diagnostics, which was a help when overworked. ATX has this board. Use the ATX 2008 demo to work on your returns on extension. Then re-do some of your typical returns from last year. You have to find what feels comfortable for you. What must you have; what are the deal breakers? What can you live without. What's your typical return. Do you suddenly need that last-minute Form 1099-MISC for a client who didn't send them out?

Thanks for your input. I appreciate your comments, especially those pertaining to the comparisons between the two programs.

This is the first time I've been on since sunday and noticed on another thread that TRX isn't an authorized distributor/reseller of ATX. If this is right, then my whole issue may be a nonstarter. However, in the event that it turns out that TRX is authorized by CCH specifically for ATX (and not TaxWise), then it might be advantageious to try out the ATX 08 demo.

Thanks again.

George

I am also waiting and checking this Community several times a day. I want ATX, not Tax Wise. But it will also cost me more money if I wait to renew the program I am using right now. I also want to see the ATX 08 program (which is not available yet) before I make any jump. Big decision that is in LIMBO right now. Guess I will just keep checking this forum, but am almost ready to give up the idea altogether.

Has anyone heard anything from either TRX or ATX as far as what software TRX is offering at the quoted prices of $299 or $699? The latest comments are now several days old and I sense there is a dispute that is deeper than what appears on the surface. I have not made a final decision either way but would really like to hear something as to what the "rest of the story is" concerning whether we can acquire the real ATX software at these prices or if it is some hybrid package.

I am leaning towards ATX since I know what I get there, but I would like to save $$$ just like anyone else.

I have been monitoring frequently and am getting a tad bit anxious. I have $700 at stake having committed to TRX under the promise of receiving ATX TTO. I am now questioning that decision. When I last spoke to Braeden last week, he did not sound as convincing as I would like when he reiterated the promise of full refund if ATX was not delivered.

Christie of CCH said, sort of unofficially, that TRX would be providing the "functionality" of ATX software but it would be the TaxWise program. She pointed out that the TRX advertising listed specific ATX and CCH products for Trial Balance, Document Manager, and research products and said they had a contract to resell those. TRX does not list ATX tax software as such, just the functionality. I, too, wish some voice from the wilderness would enlighten us!

The ATX Community Board had a comment from KIM MANUEL - VP CUSTOMER RELATIONS, CCH SMALL FIRM SERVICES IN which he commented on May the 5th with: After Reviewing many of the posts between ATX Community members and TRX over the past few weeks, I would like to offer an Official CCH Small Firm Services response to your purchasing inquires. TRX is not an authorized reseller or distributer of any of our ATX product lines. You will need to contact your CCH SFS renewal representative at 1-800-495-4626 to renew your ATX software".

Wow, does this officially close the door on ATX purchases from TRX?

The ATX Community Board had a comment from KIM MANUEL - VP CUSTOMER RELATIONS, CCH SMALL FIRM SERVICES IN which he commented on May the 5th with: After Reviewing many of the posts between ATX Community members and TRX over the past few weeks, I would like to offer an Official CCH Small Firm Services response to your purchasing inquires. TRX is not an authorized reseller or distributer of any of our ATX product lines. You will need to contact your CCH SFS renewal representative at 1-800-495-4626 to renew your ATX software".

Wow, does this officially close the door on ATX purchases from TRX?

Edward-

That's old news. The dispute has taken a more ominous, darker, silent to the public side. Everyone is wondering just what is going on. Stay tuned.

I went on the TRX website over the weekend, and checked again this morning and it said under their program "This page is currently being updated!". I am ready to give up !!!! The responses here don't sound good either. It would be good to hear from TRX, any kind of update would be nice. Doesn't ALLIANCE mean joined together, and working together, I feel like they have deserted us, it has been over a week now with no word at all.

I went on the TRX website over the weekend, and checked again this morning and it said under their program "This page is currently being updated!". I am ready to give up !!!! The responses here don't sound good either. It would be good to hear from TRX, any kind of update would be nice. Doesn't ALLIANCE mean joined together, and working together, I feel like they have deserted us, it has been over a week now with no word at all.

Hang in there.

They may be under a "confidentiality" agreement until it is settled. What's the rush, anyways? It's not like we need our 2009 software TODAY. We'll know in plenty of time to buy directly from CCH if need be, and with TRX's written guarantee (which CCH, by the way, will NOT give), any money you spent will be refunded if they can't provide you with ATX.

Chill! Or are you _trying_ to stir people up? I do note that all these frantic-sounding notes are from new community members.

If you're legit -- go back and re-read (or read 1st time) some of the older TRX-related posts, take a breath, and calm down.

If you're just making trouble -- get outta here; we don't need you, we don't want you, and it won't work.

Hang in there.

They may be under a "confidentiality" agreement until it is settled. What's the rush, anyways? It's not like we need our 2009 software TODAY. We'll know in plenty of time to buy directly from CCH if need be, and with TRX's written guarantee (which CCH, by the way, will NOT give), any money you spent will be refunded if they can't provide you with ATX.

Chill! Or are you _trying_ to stir people up? I do note that all these frantic-sounding notes are from new community members.

If you're legit -- go back and re-read (or read 1st time) some of the older TRX-related posts, take a breath, and calm down.

If you're just making trouble -- get outta here; we don't need you, we don't want you, and it won't work.

Thanks Catherine.......some of these posts are getting a little carried away.

I'm SORRY !!! PLEASE FORGIVE ME !!!!!

I reread my post, and it is not like me at all. I am usually the patient one. Life has been very hectic since tax season. I need to take a better look at the ATX program, I would be changing from a completely different program, and it will cost me more money if I wait to renew with them. Do not want to spend time looking at ATX if TRX is not available. I will take your advise, and I WILL CHILL.

Thanks

I'm SORRY !!! PLEASE FORGIVE ME !!!!!

I reread my post, and it is not like me at all. I am usually the patient one. Life has been very hectic since tax season. I need to take a better look at the ATX program, I would be changing from a completely different program, and it will cost me more money if I wait to renew with them. Do not want to spend time looking at ATX if TRX is not available. I will take your advise, and I WILL CHILL.

Thanks

I, too, am very concerned that we have not heard from TRX. I have already purchased their product and they have already received payment from my credit card.

If CCH does default on its agreement with TRX, I will look very closely at what TRX has to offer before I ask for my refund. And if CCH does default, I most probably will not renew with ATX.

Maribeth

Does anyone know what the TRX's program, TRX-Pro is. I think the TRX-ProTW, is Tax Wise, The TRX-Pro -AX, was ATX, but what is their TRX-Pro???

The TRX-Pro TX product for $699 says the exact same thing as it did before, when I was assured it was the ATX product.

Now -- so far as the ATX discount goes -- for me, it would be $111. Not a deal-breaker. However, CCH will NOT promise to have ATX for anyone, NOR will they refund your money if they, for whatever reason, decide to NOT produce/provide/sell ATX for the 2009 tax season.

Is it likely that they cancel ATX? I don't believe so. However, to give them over $1,000 of my money, now (for them and not me to use for almost a year), with no recourse later, to save $111, makes no sense to me. Your mileage may vary.

ATX is a great product. For Eagles Ridge -- get a demo version and play with it over the summer. If the $111 (or less for 1040; it's only a 10% discount) will really make that big a deal to you --> then go look at TaxAct by Second Story Software. I used it for years before I switched to ATX. It's a fabulous program and I left because I needed too many business returns, part-year and non-resident individual returns -- and at that time, those returns were a major weakness of TaxAct. They have since improved mightily, I hear.

And yes, it's easy to get frantic. Ask me how I know this. ;) All the more reason to take a deep breath. Nothing here is life or death -- or even happiness. Ultimately, you can do a good job for your clients and make a decent profit for yourself using any one of a half-dozen or more programs, which will all work pretty darned well for you.

Catherine

I agree completely. The discounts offered aren't worth the risks associated with renewing early, especially since most of the vendors are clearly in the mode of doing what's best for them without any regard for how it impacts their customers. They've adopted the business model of the banks - just keep getting bigger and don't worry too much about the fallout. It's easy enough to mouth the right words in carefully contructed language during the early part of the transition and then make your most egregious cost-cutting & reduction-of-service moves after the majority of your customers have been lulled to sleep. Most will stay, some will leave, and some we will get back in the next acquisition. In the end it all evens out.

From experience I say "Don't worry about the discount"...

I did not renew for the early discount last year. I got a call the end of

September offering me the same discount price. I even made them(ATX)

dance a little as I stretched payments out so my 45 day guarantee went

into February so I could get my money back if ATX was as slow getting my

state approved for e-file. The discount is the least of our worries.