ATX Community

ATX Improvements for 2008 filing year?

Richcpaman

Just wondering:

What types of improvements would you like in ATX for 2008? I would start with the following:

A NEW PDF column in the print manager. (You click the file copy boxes, and the clinet copy boxes and then you have the PDF copy boxes, and instead of printing, it creates the PDF!)

An improved Return manager.

Picks up the DUE DATE of the return automatically.

Allow the STATUS codes to be preset, for functionalality and sorting purposes. ANd that the Status codes be SEVERAL blocks, so I can track returns.

Printing reports from the print Manager to allow greater sort capabilites. The export to excel is nice, but why the extra step?

Ability to add columns? May help with the status issue.

Once a return is created and saved, a error message is created if the name is changed. (Because, ATX can take time to load, I can be working in a spreadsheet, on my other screen, and the return pops open, captures the cursor, and I am overwriting the client name) This just might be ME!

That's it for now, anyone else?

RichCPAman.

No changes.... the darn program is too slow and a memory hog as it is with bells and whistles that only a handful of preparers might use.

A stock option calculation worksheet would be just another example, besides most companies granting such usually provide a completed worksheet with all the info needed for the taxpayer to prepare their tax return. I would be happy if they would just give me a program that didn't need updating every week.

I would like a connection between the return manager and the efile manager...

Need an indicator that shows on the return manager screen what the efile status of the return is.

As it is now, I have to print both the return manager screen and the efile manager screen and compare the two "by hand" to make sure all returns have been efiled... this is a huge time waster!!

For those of us that efile almost everything we do---- this is a must!!

ATX hope you're listening!!

The #1 change that I would even pay extra money for is the ability to create a default print order in the order that I want the return to print and not in the order that ATX or the IRS wants the return to print. The longest time I spend on a tax return is putting the final return in the order I want it. For instance, i want the tax summary after the forms and before the supporting schedules.

I also would like a "lock' on the date prepared field on Page 2. It's okay once i have checked the "complete" box on the return manager, but I do a lot of planning after tax season and will access the return. If that complete box gets unchecked, then the current date populates in the field.

Maribeth

I also would like a "lock' on the date prepared field on Page 2. It's okay once i have checked the "complete" box on the return manager, but I do a lot of planning after tax season and will access the return. If that complete box gets unchecked, then the current date populates in the field.

Maribeth

To lock the date on the 1040, just type the date you want over the date that shows in the field. This will lock the date to whatever you put in that field.

Gene

All these suggestions are good but they need to be conveyed to ATX via their suggestion box.

taxbilly

At this time of the year I doubt they are going to make any program changes other than correction changes. It would take their full time just getting all the IRS forms updated since the IRS has not even released all forms. Then realize the approval process needed for state forms.

My thoughts for this thread:

It was to get some ideas, and then forward them to ATX. Whether it exists or not, is beyond my control. whether I exist of not next year is also.

Have we missed the windo for 2008? Maybe. Can't hurt to ask.

By posting them here, it would spur some to think about the same problems/concerns/workarounds that others have had.

I love Maribeth's print order suggestion. I do not like the default, and I work with it, but I would like to just "Hand" the return to my admin assistant and have her print it "ready to go".

And TaxTrio: There could be a better system between Return Manager and Efile Manager. I efile about 50% of 1040's, so I don't have a big problem. But IF I wasn't doing it, and had to monitor another? I could see the difficulties.

But TaxTrio's problem goes to my issues with the return manager. IF you had multiple status columns, and the columns were populated by info in the returns, an Efile status column would be very easy to program in.

Why do I(!) have to fill in the DUE DATE on the return manager? And WHY does it still have the prior year info in that BLOCK when I roll it over? Didn't the year change?

One more thing:

When filling in the info for "Other Expenses" in the 1120, 1120S and 1065 screens, Please highlight the line I'm working on. Make sure I AM in the telephone line, and not the utilities line. Bad Eyes and all.

Question: Can you if using your computer as the server, also set up another account, on the same computer? So I can have two ATX returns open on my computer?

Anyone?

Rich

As for another:

Client lettters.

Can I get modified ones for 1120, 1120s and 1065? The 1040 is nice, but I have to add alot of stuff when I get to the entity returns.

How about the ability to have a listing, with the ability to post to the client letter, some standard paragraphs that apply often?

File form 8822 seperately in the enclosed envelope?

Please sign, date and mail back to me the Form 8879 and Md counterpart?

Enclosed is your Maryland Personal Property report.....

Keep all the formatting I did last year (and the year before, and year before) for the header and addresses. Or make it easier to re-set up!

(just printed a return and had these thoughts!)

Rich

All the recommendations sound good, but if we are not carefull, we may be asking for a high end program at a low end price. I don't think we will get that. I would rather keep the features AND the price the same as now.

Gene

Gene,

I agree with you. All of those personal "conveniences" will cost all of us more money if we're not careful.

Wayne

We've been around this block a number of times on the old board. I am with the "leave it alone" voters. I don't have an issue with doing some thinking for myself and also understand that enhancements come with a price tag. Those of us who remember preparing tax returns with carbon paper and a pencil are so very grateful for what we have today. I can recall the "joy" of purchasing my first copy machine. I don't consider computereze to be a license to stop studying, learning and figuring things out. I don't expect ANY tax program to do my job for me; but do so very much appreciate the help that it gives me.

I have been advocating for the seamless integration of multi state returns since I started using ATX in 2002. Compared to other competitors at similar prices ATX is lagging in this area. CCH Prosystem fx handles it magnificently, so if they already have the programs written it should be a no brainer to adapt to ATX?

Good luck

MikeD

The forms team and the program team are different groups, or at least they used to be. While I wouldn't expect them to implement 'drastic' changes such as changing whole printing routines, simple changes can get streamlined in rather easily if they make sense. I wouldn't use the excuse that the development teams are busy to stop you from submitting suggestions. Unless CCH has changed how things operate (probably have) then all the suggestions get reviewed and ranked/sorted quite frequently. Yes, they probably are locking down the software version for a production copy for testing (or already have) but the developers can still be working on the changes to be slipped in during one of the updates required to fix bugs that everyone complains about being too frequent.

Now, some of these suggestions do go towards the forms team, such as allocations and stock options worksheets. I doubt that there would be time for them to work on such at this point, but it would be added to the list of possibilities for after the forms are done.

Question: Can you if using your computer as the server, also set up another account, on the same computer? So I can have two ATX returns open on my computer?

Anyone?

Rich

You can install the ATX program to your hard drive and then do a network install (but the hard drive install has to happen first). You can check with Tech Support, but I believe you will have to uninstall the network version from your workstation before you can do the hard drive install.

This will allow you to open a tax return on your hard drive and a different return off the network in the same tax year.