ATX Community

Guardian Tax Software

learnmore

If I were interested in Drake, then after reading the guardian webmaster's last post I think I'd be able to say I've seen all I need to know.

Hey John, I'm not positive about what your intentions were with that last reply, could you elaborate?

I'm being forthright. I want to address any suspicions people might have about Guardian. Everything in my last post is verifiable as being the truth. If there's something you found to be fishy or outright false, please point this out so we can clear this up.

I posted the website on the Drake software forum and Phil Drake responded that "Neither of these folks who are attempting to sell Drake Software are authorized dealers. I believe that their plan was to sell software at a discount and then make back the difference with added "Service Bureau Fees"

However, we neither allow nor support this kind of thing. So do not believe these ads when you see them.

We are addressing the problems with both at this time. "

There was another company that has been doing direct mail to sell Drake software for around $749

Tim

Tim, I don't believe that Phil said that. If he did you're probably misquoting him. Even if it is what Phil said he misspoke because Service Bureaus are authorized dealer by definition.

A service bureau is an older term and in today's business terminology the business model is known as Software as a Service or SAAS for short. You can learn more about them here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_as_a_Service

Service bureau fees are paid through transmission fees, which are withheld by the banks/software manufacturers. If we aren't an authorized Service Bureau it is not possible for us to receive Service Bureau Fees because both the bank and software manufacturers have to verify our relationships. Our Service Bureau fees are inline with what the software manufacturers charge for transmission. We only charge transmission/service bureau fees on returns being sent with bank product applications. Returns with no bank products being sent are free from all fees.

Could you please provide a direct link to that posting that you quoted?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Learnmore=

Who are you ..really? Is anybody else getting a funny feeling here?

I have a funny feeling that the LearnMore person is actually the sales rep from TRX that first came on this board trying to sell us on the TRX ATX software. The only poster that I have seen respond with the convention of "@name" is that representative, his name was Braeden Kehoe. Maybe he has moved on down the road to this new service bureau.

Maribeth

I have a funny feeling that the LearnMore person is actually the sales rep from TRX that first came on this board trying to sell us on the TRX ATX software. The only poster that I have seen respond with the convention of "@name" is that representative, his name was Braeden Kehoe. Maybe he has moved on down the road to this new service bureau.

Maribeth

Braeden Kehoe is still with TRX, so I doubt very seriously that he is learnmore. But I do agree, we all need to be cautious.

Deb!

I am not Braeden. I've lurked this forum for a little over a year now for the professional insight.

My only interest was to pass Guardian (not me) through the ATXcommunity filter before I made my decision to buy. I couldn't find anything on this company so I posted here to see if I could get some customer reviews.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I am a Drake Customer and I recently purchased the software from Guardian. I was dealing with a guy named Arnie. I was not too satisfied with the way he explained anything to me but I spoke to another gentleman by the name Jon Smith. He gave a great exp and I was very satisfied. I purchased from Jon and he called me the next week to ask if I had any further questions. He was very nice and I really loved the follow up call. He also explained that they will be offering many more software options in the coming year. They have really big plans for their company. They are a newer company but they seem to be fine to me. I will be using them from now on. I get great service along with a cheaper price. I paid 699. for DRAKE SOFTWARE! I used to pay almost 1200. dollars.

I will say that I am more happy now than I have ever been. I too have called Drake to verify that Guardian Tax Solutions is legit and that they are authorized to sell the software and I was told that they were. I know that I am happy so you should be too.

They treat me with the utmost respect.

They are actually doing something else to their website. I went there today and not there. We will see what the new site looks like when it is up. I heard that they are trying to fix the reputation issues. They want people to feel safe. I got that from Jon. He would not be too specific but that is their business. They may have a price surprise or something LOL I HOPE SO!

Too all of you looking at purchasing Guardian's Products you will not be unsatisfied. I am happy so should you be.

I RECOMMEND THEM TO ANYONE AND YOU ARE WELCOME TO CALL ME FOR A WORD. JUST REQUEST MY NUMBER VIA EMAIL [email protected]

I know their website was down yesterday, I spoke to support and that was OK.

I was just on the Guardian Tax Solutions website. They are back online. It seems they were making some big changes to the site. I do not know why many of you think that Guardian is affiliated with TRX. They are not. I cannot tell you why TRX site was down but I can say that I did hear through the GRAPE VINE or should I say that a little birdy told me that TRX lost the contract with their software company they sell. I do know that they will be losing a lot of business because they do not have very good customer service. One thing I can say is that Guardian has been there for me. I also heard from my little birdy that they are going to be offering a new software product. We will see what that is soon. Guardian says that their website is the least of their worries. They are focusing on customer service and tech support. They want their customers to be as happy as possible. I agree to that because that is why I am now a customer of them for life. They also said that they want people to know that they are wanting your comments.

The new website has been launched and not all of the links are available but they are up. www.guardiantaxsoftwares.com

I hope this helps for some of you that are a little QUEEZY!

J-

Hello,

My name is Lee, I am a team member with Guardian Tax Software. I am the web designer and I take the responsibility of answering any and all of your questions. I would like for all of you with any question about Guardian Tax Solutions to email me at [email protected] This email account was made especially for you. I wanted to talk to all of you and answer any and all of your questions.

One big problem I have is that people are saying that we are affiliated with TRX. WE ARE NOT IN ANY WAY SHAPE FORM OR FASHION AFFILIATED WITH TRX.

I just wanted that to be clear.

Our website was down for a renovation. We are trying to offer our new customers an easier way to gain information about our company.

TRX and OUR website being down at the same time was a coincidence. I cannot tell you why their website was down and if I could I would.

Please all of you with any questions about our company email me (LEE) at [email protected]

I will reply within 24 to 48 hours.

Thanks for the time to talk to all of you about our company. I hope to be serving many of you in the very near future!

GuardianTaxSoftwares.com

Thanks,

LEE

Lee,

I am interested in changing from ATX to another software company for 2010. I understand that you are selling Drake for $699? I do not want to be confronted with a one or two year solution as the time and effort of conversion and learning is enormous. Please indicate your ongoing commitment from Drake to enable you to resell their software at a discounted price. In addition what kind of price guarantee are you prepared to offer?

What features and/or functionality are different between your software and a direct purchase from Drake?

Please be honest as I will ultimately evaluate both companies just to be certain of what I am purchasing as well as be sharing this information with my peers on ATX Community.

Who provides support, e filing, updates, etc?

What are your return/refund policies?

What software did you resell prior to Drake and for how long?

Thanks for your response.

Mike Dubin CPA

I decide to call Guardian today as I received no response from LEE as yet, and spoke with Harris, who stated that he was the owner. He indicated that his company has absolutely no affiliation with TRX, however he indicated that he personally worked for TRX in the past. I inquired as to the bankruptcy issue and he assured me that that was a different company, not his.

This is his first year he is in business and he chose to resell Drake because he used the software as a preparer and was quite pleased with it. Guardian has approximately 100 clients for 2009 due to a late start this tax year. He estimates that they should have more like 1,000 for 2010.

The software provided is a true and accurate copy of Drake as it is actually shipped by them directly to you. No clones, nothing missing, etc. All support is provided directly by Guardian and if they can't answer your inquiry they will contact Drake on your behalf as your advocate and get you an answer.

I further inquired about the number of years that they have contracted with Drake and was advised that it is an ongoing licensing agreement that should go on forever!

Harris seemed very sincere and forthcoming in his responses to me however I asked that he and some of his present customers reply to this board with their own evaluation of Drake Software, support, e filing issues, bank products, etc. He assured me that they would.

Sounds like a formidable option for me. I have evaluated Drake in the past and more recently converted my 2008 ATX date base to Drake and so far I am quite pleased with the software. I will however continue to review and keep all of you posted.

Let all be hopeful.

Mike Dubin CPA

If this is how they handle potential customers then I would be very wary.

taxbilly

This is why I am worried about how CCH/ATX will handle those of us, next year, that went with TRX. Maybe early retirement is in the works. I tried Drake, but cannot get comfortable with its style of entry.

I also think we should move this to the software board.

I recall the same cautionary feeling about TRX when they offered ATX tax office for $699. I however went ahead and purchased 2009 from TRX for $699 instead of $2,600 directly from CCH and haven't looked back.

I am extremely disappointed with ATX after 6 years of use in that as soon as CCH purchased they appear to have been on a mission to downgrade everything but the price!

The last straw for me was the fixed asset history feature removal without any prior notification. Their lame excuse was that this feature slowed the system down? Of course they now are offering a great fix for a few hundred additional dollars, this year, which I guarantee you will cost that much more for next year, etc.

It seems that I am not alone with my posture toward ATX as I recently read a post that their client base has actually shrunk from a high of some 70,000 to 40,000. I can assure you that for next year they will have a starting base of no more that 39,999 as I for one will not renew with them.

I am somewhat surprised that there has not been a more serious upheaval from the users especially if you follow the technical support issues.

I will follow up with any and all software that will meet my needs and be competitively priced and be there for the future. I do also fear the unknown but after dealing with the known I have become a bit more flexible in these endeavors.

I share you concerns and will follow up with any new information that I acquire.

Mike Dubin CPA

Well, I asked Drake about Guardian, and this is what they told me.

KC,

Guardian is a service bureau, not a reseller of our software. They charge service bureau fees, transmission fees and use their own customer support, not Drake’s. Our unlimited package can be purchased for $995 plus tax in April and May.

Regards,

Susan Burchins

Susan E Burchins, Administrative Assistant

Drake Software Sales

[email protected]

Now, clearly, that does not answer the question of how they can advertise that they sell it. Especially at a lower price. But when I replied and asked about that, I got no response from her.

Still, after the TRX-ATX business, if I decided to buy Drake, I think I'd buy it from Drake, not take a chance on this brand new business.