ATX Community

Extension necessary?

Marge

I am working on a return that I know will have refunds both federal and state. Because of fine tuning etc such things as NOL loss etc the Client has agreed not to push me. It was his fault that I am running late on this one.

The question: Do I really need to file an extension when there is a refund due?

Thanks for the help I am so shot today. Worked all weekend.

Marge

Marge: I agree with Cathy. One never knows what unknowns are lurking out there. Even if you know there are refunds due on the return, one never knows what might turn up if the client is audited, and if the IRS subsequently finds tax due the return will be considered late-filed even if there was a refund showing on the original filing. A precautionary extension just removes all those potential headaches.

Marge, file the extension. It only takes a couple of minutes and you have peace of mind. I had a client a few years ago that I knew was getting refunds on both Fed and WI and didn't bother with the extension. She got nailed with a late filing penalty.

There is one other reason to file the extension. There are some elections that can only be made on a timely filed return. A return on extension is considered timely filed while one not on extension is not considered timely filed. Do it just to protect your clients rights.

There is one other reason to file the extension. There are some elections that can only be made on a timely filed return. A return on extension is considered timely filed while one not on extension is not considered timely filed. Do it just to protect your clients rights.

Another 2 good reasons to file the extension.

1. I charge $50 per each and have been forever.

2. Charging for and sending out the extension bills also helps me to weed out undesirable new clients before more time is wasted on them. If they call and complain, I gladly write the bill off and bid them farewell.

like the election to carryover the NOL - if it applies to your situation.