ATX Community

Document Management

Art

I am new to scanning as I just purchased a Kodak i1120. I am saving the documents as pdf using Adobe Acrobat 7.0. I set up separate folders for each tax client. My problem is that the images are only identified by a number such as 0000001, ect. I would like to give each image a descriptive name (W-2, 1099,ect) so that when using the bookmark view I could easily identify and find the particular document I am looking for. Any suggestions how to do this? Is there a better alternative?

Suggestions for experienced users is appreciated.

I guess I was not clear when I posted by queston. I can change the NAME of the pdf file. That is not the problem. I want to change the identification of the individual documents. Adobe just uses a numerical sequence such as 0000001, 0000002, ect. I want to name the individual document images so that when I look a the bookmarks I can easily indenity the document such as W-2, 1099,ect.

You could rename the file:

00000001.pdf could be renamed 1099.pdf.

To do that: right click on the file, go down to rename, type in the new name and hit enter.

taxbilly

I now understand that I need a more robust version of acrobat-either standard or professional. I have looked on line and prices are really all over the place. Does anyone have a reliable source for version 9 that they would recommend? I found a price under $ 100, but seems to good to be true.

You could rename the file:

00000001.pdf could be renamed 1099.pdf.

To do that: right click on the file, go down to rename, type in the new name and hit enter.

taxbilly

You don't need a new version of Adobe. You need a newer scanner! The software with the scanner should allow you to name the file, and indicate where to store it. I have a $39 CanoScan LIDE 70 that does all of the above, and even lets me choose the amount of compression in the .pdf. Best of all, it has only one cable. USB powered from the computer. 10X12X1.5 inches.

Check other scanner options!!

You don't need a new version of Adobe. You need a newer scanner! The software with the scanner should allow you to name the file, and indicate where to store it. I have a $39 CanoScan LIDE 70 that does all of the above, and even lets me choose the amount of compression in the .pdf. Best of all, it has only one cable. USB powered from the computer. 10X12X1.5 inches.

Check other scanner options!!

What Art is talking about is not naming the actual pdf file, rather naming & indexing the documents inside the pdf file. This is a process similar to the one I saw at the QB update, they call it their Esort function. KC steered me to GruntWorks and they have the same process. It takes your scanned documents and then identifies, names and indexes them in 1040 order. I do not believe that you can do this on your own using any version of Abobe or a pdf writer. I believe that it takes a lot of processing power and still needs to be handled by an outside service.

Anyway, please look at GruntWorks. It is pretty awesome.

Maribeth

What Art is talking about is not naming the actual pdf file, rather naming & indexing the documents inside the pdf file. This is a process similar to the one I saw at the QB update, they call it their Esort function. KC steered me to GruntWorks and they have the same process. It takes your scanned documents and then identifies, names and indexes them in 1040 order. I do not believe that you can do this on your own using any version of Abobe or a pdf writer. I believe that it takes a lot of processing power and still needs to be handled by an outside service.

Anyway, please look at GruntWorks. It is pretty awesome.

Maribeth

I was thinking GruntWorx as well. Since KC mentioned it, I looked, trialed, and eventually signed up for it. Now I'm considering duplex scanners. The Fujitsu ScanSnaps that have been recommended here are not TWAIN compliant which means my scanning manager (Gwen) will have to use my machine to scan, and I'm not sure how well that would work. Maybe, since they're small machines, it could live on her computer desk for the tax season.

Curious, which version of GruntWorx did you choose? When I looked on line it seemed that the $20/return option was rather expensive, but the only option that would be effective if you wanted to automatically populate your tax software. I take it that you are using ATX and it works for you? Did you find the time you saved was worth the cost?

As an alternative for just having the ablility to rename the image documents, I understand that the Acrobat Standard or perhaps Pro would do the job. Prices seem to vary all over the place. Has anyone found Acrobat a good alternative?

I was thinking GruntWorx as well. Since KC mentioned it, I looked, trialed, and eventually signed up for it. Now I'm considering duplex scanners. The Fujitsu ScanSnaps that have been recommended here are not TWAIN compliant which means my scanning manager (Gwen) will have to use my machine to scan, and I'm not sure how well that would work. Maybe, since they're small machines, it could live on her computer desk for the tax season.

>>Suggestions for experienced users<<

I have been asked to comment, although I was not planning to respond as I have little to contribute on this topic. I use Lacerte with its built-in document manager. I scan source documents into a single pdf file; each document is a separate page but not otherwise identified. It probably has many more features but I only use it at a very simple level. I return all client records and shred my own notes so I keep no paper file whatsoever.

I still am using Visioneer PaperPort v.6.0 (10-year-old app that's even Windows XP is happy with). It's TWAIN-compatible -- e.g., I use a Fujitsu fi-4010CU for either ADF or table-top scanning -- and its virtual tabletop of stacks of document thumbnails -- sized just large enough to recognize the type of document, small enough to show 20ish stacks on-screen -- is a perfect analogue of our actual desks. Not only can you name each page of each document, it exports every type of graphic file-format I've ever needed, imports everything except PDF. Whoa, you say? I simply print a PDF via MS Office Document Image Writer as a TIF file -- which also happens to be the leanest, clearest format for forms, IMHO -- to import into PaperPort. THEN 'VP' becomes the PhotoShop of document management, allowing me to straighten & clean-up imperfect scans, smudged faxes, OCR forms into digital text/MS Word, etc. Having scanned various sizes of my signature, I can copy that into any doc -- returns included -- that 'pass' everywhere I've tendered them.

The only caveat: I've heard that every later version has bugs of one sort or another -- thus I've never upgraded. But, I've never needed to, and none of the half-dozen doc-managers I've sampled offers such enormous flexibility.

Even if Windows 7 finally finds VP too old, my several XP PCs will carry VP into the next decade.

>>Suggestions for experienced users<<

I have been asked to comment, although I was not planning to respond as I have little to contribute on this topic. I use Lacerte with its built-in document manager. I scan source documents into a single pdf file; each document is a separate page but not otherwise identified. It probably has many more features but I only use it at a very simple level. I return all client records and shred my own notes so I keep no paper file whatsoever.

• 2 weeks later...

Just had a demo of the CCH Scan and also the Auto-Flow. The Scan gives you a list of documents in tax return order, all labeled and flowing in an outline along the left. It compares it to your proforma return to tell you what's missing. Auto-Flow for about $10 per return brings what you choose into the return. If a client calls for a copy of her W-2s, you can copy just those pages out of the larger .pdf and e-mail her, upload to your website or CCH Portal. Looks pretty cool.