ATX Community

Uploading files

redux

erc, I'm wondering if there is a way we can upload files such as excel spreadsheets that we want to share with others. If not, can we send message attachments?

The hosting package doesn't have a lot of extra storage space, but I'll enable the uploads and put a smallish limit on file size. You should see the Attachment features turned on sometime today.

I've enabled the file uploads. Here's how it works:

1. Every person on the forum gets 1mb (1024KB) of storage space to use.

2. You can upload as many files as you want until you hit the 1mb limit.

3. You can only post the attachment once. It wont be available to post in other threads. This seems to be a limitation of the software.

4. If you've run out of space and need to attach a new file, you'll have to delete some of your files to make room for new ones. You can do this through your control panel under Options > Manage Your Attachments

5. Only certain types of files are allowed. Right now XLS files are not allowed, but I will change this. If there are any file types that aren't allowed but would be helpful, let me know.

This attachment system works when posting and private messaging.

XLS uploads are now allowed.

Here's the list

documents: doc, htm, html, pdf, rtf, txt, xls

media: mp3, wav

Suppose I upload an excel file (xls) how can that file be useful to others, will they be able to use it on the page I uploadsd OR will they be able to download it OR will it just be there and not be useable?

Once it's uploaded, it'll show up in that little drop down list (Manage Current Attachments) in the upload section (for that post only)

Click the drop down list, and then click that little-paper-with-green-plus-sign icon to insert the attachment into your post.

It'll look like this:

To delete the attachment, use the little-paper-with-red-x icon.

• 2 weeks later...