ATX Community

1099R - Distribution Code L

jmallard

Hi,

This is the first time I've ran across a code "L" in the distribution code of a 1099R. Code L on the back of the form stats, "Loans treated as distributions." The client states that they had borrowed money from their 401k and were laid off work before being able to pay the loan back.

I know the money is taxable, of course, but my questions is, is it subject to the 10% Early Withdrawal Penalty?

The program software usually auto opens a Form 5329, but in this case it did not.

Just want to make sure the distribution is not subject to the penalty.

Thanks in Advance!

Jerry

Both taxpayers are 43 years old and they both got laid off from work. Worked at the same place.

To test the software, I changed the distribution code to a "1" on both 1099Rs. Program auto opened a CA 3805 and added penalty. Auto added a penalty to the Fed return, but did not warn me to open a form 5329. I opened a 5329 at it was already complete with the penalty added.

Changed the distribution codes back to "L" on both 1099Rs and the penalties were removed.

Jerry

Did you fill int he taxable income box 2? I had an IRA this year that I failed to put the amount in that box since it wasn't in the box on the 1099R, and even though the amount showed up on page 1, the penalty did not automatically compute until I filled in box 2.

Just a suggestion.

Thanks for suggestion. Yes, box 2 was filled in on both forms and I entered the info on the input sheets.

Jerry