ATX Community

tadpoles

joanmcq

My hot tub got all messed up this winter, and I've just ignored it. But I keep hearing frogs outside my window. First one, then two then lots. I just looked in the hot tub. Its full of mosquito larvae. And also full of tadpoles. Don't want to kill the tadpoles....do tadpoles eat mosquitoes?

After tax season, the problems just get wierder....

My hot tub got all messed up this winter, and I've just ignored it. But I keep hearing frogs outside my window. First one, then two then lots. I just looked in the hot tub. Its full of mosquito larvae. And also full of tadpoles. Don't want to kill the tadpoles....do tadpoles eat mosquitoes?

After tax season, the problems just get wierder....

Yes they eat the larvae and any algae you might have. They may either be toad or frog tadpoles. If they are real small they are usually toad tadpoles but not always. Toads usually lay their eggs just about anywhere there is standing water. Frogs are more particular since they typically live near a good water source.

They're pretty big actually, from what I remember of tadpoles. For awhile, the noise of frogs outside my bedroom window was starting to drive me nuts. I like having wildlife though. Used to have some baby possums that would come in and eat the cat food. Of course, I do want to get the hot tub fixed. Maybe I need to put in a frog pond?

Joan

I've never had much success with French Fried tadpoles:

1) They wiggle around in the batter so much that it all falls off before I can drop them in the hot oil;

2) I can never figure out what wine goes best with them.

I agree about not bathing in the water - have you heard what those tadpoles DO in that water?

I've never had much success with French Fried tadpoles:

1) They wiggle around in the batter so much that it all falls off before I can drop them in the hot oil;

2) I can never figure out what wine goes best with them.

My sense is that in order to eat french fried tadpoles...I would need LOTS of warm corona BEFORE eating.

ahh, the froggy chorus has started....ribbit, ribbit, ribbit

Joan,

You must be near a normal source of water as frogs don't usually travel far from home to lay eggs. The larger tads means frogs and from the size probably bullfrogs. Unless you don't want a real mess make sure they have a way to climb out. Way to go Proud Momma!

Joan,

You must be near a normal source of water as frogs don't usually travel far from home to lay eggs. The larger tads means frogs and from the size probably bullfrogs. Unless you don't want a real mess make sure they have a way to climb out. Way to go Proud Momma!

The nearest river is about two miles away. Usually I have pond in my field this time of year, but its been so dry, there wasn't one this year. Maybe I should put a sign out front "Joan's Frog Sanctuary" My supervisor said her neighbor had the same thing happen last year and ended up with a frog infestation. Said it got pretty gross, but I figure if I do, it should be amusing for my kitties and dog.

I think I should move them farther away from the house though.....