ATX Community

Where is ATX on SAAS or Cloud Computing?

samingeorgia

OK, here's the latest tale of woe: In November, my old computer died. No complaints, it gave good service for several seasons.

So I buy this hot-shot, "Quad-Core" machine. After a couple of weeks, the motherboard went bad and had to be replaced. OK, no big deal. In early February, I got one of those viruses that says your machine is infected and wants to sell you their brand of virus cleaner. A couple of days of lost production and a few bucks and I'm back in business.

This morning at 6AM, there was a flash (like a flash bulb going off) and a BIG crash of thunder. My granddaughter's computer, which is here in my bedroom, is, of course, unaffected. That's what I'm writing on now.

My work machine? The one with MS Office, QuickBooks, ATX, the bookkeeping/payroll stuff? You guessed it, the motherboard (nice how they call it that) is evidently fried.

I'm sick to damn death of being dependent on some mechanical object to do my work! I am going to look at SAAS for next year. Either that or retirement.

Thanks for listening. I edited out most of the cussing.

We feel your pain, and we understand. Although I do wonder, did you not have a UPS surge protector on your business computer? A good UPS is basic, but I know many of us tend to buy one and then forget about it. Was it fried too? Might have insurance on your computer through that? My APC ones do provide it.

KC, I have a really nice UPS that seems to have been unaffected. I use a wired router that doesn't go through the UPS, and I wonder if there was some kind of voltage run along the wire? At first, I could access everything except the internet; I had a normal screen, accessed Excel and ATX, but no IE. I switched wires on the router to no avail, and took the machine to the computer people. They said that the port was likely fried and replaced it with a card. Then, nothing! No video, nothing.

SAAS = "Software as a Service", where your program and data is "out there" somewhere and you access it over the web.

How will you access it, from a microwave oven or from a TV? Jus kidding. My point is that you still have to deal with a computer to do your work regardless where your data or programs reside. AND don't let me start with your client's confidentiality...

Pacun: You're right on two counts. There's no way to do this business without a computer. And having client data out there "somewhere" scares the daylights out of me. Also, I think that if your data is being held by a software vendor, they kind of have you where they want you.

Joanmcq: Well, my next purchase will definitely be a new UPS that I can plug the router cable into. I asked the computer people today if the cable was fried; they don't know, but they can make up the length of cable I need. Ironically, I went with a wired router because I was concerned about security. When I put this setup in the house, there were teenagers next door and I thought that they would be just the type to tap onto my internet!

The new computer will be ready Friday. Tomorrow, I'm going to call the homeowners' agent. I told the guy I have a home office and maybe I'll get some help there. This episode won't break me, and the loss of production won't kill me, but dadgummit, it's irritating.

I also intend to call ATX support to see what their position is on installing the software on two computers. There's only one preparer (me), so it won't be run on but one machine at a time. But if I back up the data regularly, I can switch to a working computer when/if something happens. Redundancy! It works for pilots, why not me?

CCH's servers have to be more secure than my little home office computer. And, yes, you need a computer, but any computer will do. So, if yours gets fried, you rent one or buy one or go use one at the library or a friend's house and you're back in business with your software and your data safely in the clouds. One downside to a home office is that there's no easy place to store a backup offsite. Safe deposit box means I'd have to wait for the bank to open, for instance. So, I already have a backup at VMSUS. Moving to CCH in the clouds would not be a big step.

I don't know about any SAAS version of ATX, but the SAAS version of TaxWise (CCH Small Firm Services sister product) is online and in (limited?) production use this season by customers buying the software through the IRS master contract (VITA, AARP/TCE). There is one site in Central New York that is using the on-line version exclusively this season. We have been told that TWOL (TaxWise On Line) is intended to replace the desktop version in future years, especially at the VITA/TCE sites. Security is the driver - laptops get stolen and an encrypted drive is no challenge if the password is written on a sticky note.

(We have one site that is still e-filing thru a dial up modem, so it may be a while ... )