ATX Community

Wireless printer

elfling

Reviews I've seen on it say it's a good machine for printing and copying, not so good for scanning. Maybe some here have used it and will chime in. Might check it out at cnet or similar sites.

Thanks, KC. I've been looking at reviews. I, too, am concerned about the less than great comments about scanning.

We've been really happy with Canon over the years and we'd prefer to stick with them. Many times the drivers already installed can be accessed by newer models. I am not sure I am understanding the wireless system Canon has on the ImageClass laser units so calling them may be my next step. Tech support there was helpful in the past.

Elfling

I have a Canon ImageClass MF 4350d which is not wireless. I tried to set it up through a print server to make my own wireless setup. But the server only "sees" the fax portion (not the printer or scanner). I've used this set up with my older printers and had no problems. I'm sure if I had selected one that was built to be wireless, I wouldn't have this problem. It works fine through USB and I have other printers I can use wirelessly.

Whatever you end up with, make sure your wireless network is secured. Visitors here end up inadvertently using the neighbor's network as it's wide open and unprotected (not sure which neighbor, and it doesn't happen often). Ours doesn't even show up as existing unless you have the secret decoder ring.

Whatever you end up with, make sure your wireless network is secured. Visitors here end up inadvertently using the neighbor's network as it's wide open and unprotected (not sure which neighbor, and it doesn't happen often). Ours doesn't even show up as existing unless you have the secret decoder ring.

Catherine,

We already have a wireless router running which is totally secured. When we first put that in more than a year ago we made sure it was locked down. It concerned me that anyone we would have work on or set up the router could be less than honest and actually leave it open in some way. But PenTeleData (one of the bigger computer tech outfits in eastern PA) is located right here in our little Appalachian town. Because of that I was able to ask several different people about security. Thankfully, none have determined that our system is "wide open" and I just can't fathom that they would all be telling lies.

Anyway, we've decided to give a Silex C-6700WG print server a try. It is sold directly by Canon and is listed as being compatible with our MF3240 for printing and scanning. The specs show that it is will not allow us to access faxing from the computers but I cannot recall ever doing that anyway. We always fax directly from the copy plate. I'm hoping it works out because it will let us rearrange the office into a more user friendly configuration.

Elfling