ATX Community

Withdrawing name as paid preparer

elfling

I recall someone mentioning having their name withdrawn or removed as a paid preparer from a tax return. Sorry, but searching the board in various combinations of words has not brought me to that post.

It turns out we have a client, new this year, who we now know has been very untruthful with information provided. The story behind it is long. Return was e-filed, rejected twice, "corrected" twice with additional information gathered by phone, but now there are even bigger problems appearing. Our plan is to fire this client immediately as we have been blatantly lied to every step of the way.

I also wish to not have our office associated with the return in any fashion. So how is it done? Was it through calling the e-file service center (Andover, for us) and making the request? Or does it need to be in writing?

Granted, as preparers we sign the retuns under the testament "to the best of my knowledge and belief, they are true, correct, and complete." which gives one an out-clause of sorts. Still, I will feel much better being out of the loop on this one.

Elfling

Don't charge him for the return and mark it was self-prepared, you wash your hands and fire the client.

Not possbile ... as in my prior post responding to taxbilly, it has been accepted.

I suppose I could elaborate on the details of the situation here on the board, but the bottom line for me is this: I will not be keeping this person in our clientele and truly believe my name should be off the return.

Elfling

>>truly believe my name should be off the return<<

I disagree. You signed your name to work you did under the terms of a professional engagement. In my opinion, you can't disavow that just because you now regret that you accepted inaccurate or incomplete information or were otherwise unable to control the interview. I suggest you make sure your files are in order, and then get busy with the next client.

I don't think the IRS cares, so unless you're trying to push the client into leaving (too late for this return) or to pay you, just update your notes and time line in his file to document what you did and why and what you knew and when. When you catch your breath after tax season, send him a short and sweet letter telling him you will not be able to prepare his returns in the future.

I was the one who posted about being removed as paid preparer: it was in a letter i sent to a client that owed me money where i stated since i wasn't paid i am going to ask the irs to remove me as paid preparer. i further stated that i don't know if this change will open her return to further irs scrutenty or if it will extend the statute for audit.

She paid with in a week!

it was just a scare tactic since i am unaware of any way to actually do it with the irs. i think i got the idea from a posting on the old atx board.

>>it was just a scare tactic since i am unaware of any way to actually do it<<

Beautifully done! My favorite kind of tactic. And very appropriate here, too, because that same tactic is basically about 99% of the power the IRS exercises over us (which is the whole reason it worked for you). I nominate michaelmars as Forum Member of the Week!

Beautifully done! My favorite kind of tactic. And very appropriate here, too, because that same tactic is basically about 99% of the power the IRS exercises over us (which is the whole reason it worked for you). I nominate michaelmars as Forum Member of the Week!

I like this and thanks for posting. I have a client that owes me and maybe this will work for me.

Terry D.

i am humbled

Thanks, michaelmars, for claifying that it was "just a scare tactic". I've used a few myself when someone has not paid.

Yes, kc, I was paid. And I had considered returning that payment as part of shedding myself of this situation but have since changed my mind. I did the work, and did it well with the information at hand, so not being paid for the work I did would make no sense.

Jainen, you have a strong point. I was professional in the stiuation; the cleint was not honest which is not within my control. Regret is not the word here, I am just angry. The return was prepared correctly with the information provided. It is not me who has woven the tangled web of lies in which the taxpayer now finds himself enveloped. IRS is pouncing very quickly on this one.

Lion, my notes are very thorough. Breath is already caught. No time like the present. The client is receiving a you're fired letter this week. He's on his own with the mess he has caused with his untruths.

And as I ponder the responses on the board to my query my perspective has become much, much clearer.

THANK YOU, everyone!

Elfling

Yes, clearly, since you WERE paid, you can not ask to be removed after the fact. Doesn't mean you need to go over the cliff with him, but does mean your name is properly on the return. Time to shift gears and forget about him. If any follow-up comes from the IRS, your records and good reputation should protect you.