ATX Community

IRS Announcement

michaelmars

John Tuzynski, IRS chief of employment tax operations, Small Business/Self-Employed Division, has confirmed that his office this month began a three-year National Research Program to audit 6,000 randomly selected small businesses. The purpose is to evaluate compliance with selected employment issues, including the proper reporting of fringe benefits, officer compensations, and worker classification.

Tuzynski stated that the 6,000 businesses selected for participation in the Program (no, there is no opt out possibility) will be placed in one of three groups of 2,000. One group will receive the full benefits of IRS attention this year, one group in 2011 and the other in 2012.

Well as long as you agree that i took you to dinner weekly to discuss atx issues then i will be fine! oh and that they believe my dog is an office guard dog and that i do 1/3 of my clients pro-bono because i am so generous to the those tax knowledge challanged, and that Westward Ho dude ranch is really an institute of high education qualified for education credits, that i just put in windows, a heater and insullation Again! and yes all my charitable receipts and records are written on my ceiling. [thats where my clients look when i ask them for their contributions]

A friend of mine just got a call from IRS regarding one of her clients and they want to schedule a 2007 business return audit for April 5th. She politely reminded him that the 2009 deadline is April 15th and that she would not have time for an audit until after April 15th. The agent insists on having it on April 5th because "we do audits year round." The supervisor is also insisting on that date because a later one "would not fit into our timeframe."

taxbilly

I guess I got lucky. Had an audit scheduled for 3/19 for a business client. Very reasonable auditor, and great record-keeping client. The audit was rescheduled for 4/26 but she wanted as many receipts as possible by the 19th. The client hand delivered a boxfull broken down by each category. This one feels like a win both ways.

Only problem, michaelmars, is that they will not necessarily schedule them during 'off-season'. Other than that you have a point, but remember that audits bring out the worst in many clients, and when they lack good records, their favorite defense is to blame you. Just saying....... :scratch_head: :dunno:

Only problem, michaelmars, is that they will not necessarily schedule them during 'off-season'. Other than that you have a point, but remember that audits bring out the worst in many clients, and when they lack good records, their favorite defense is to blame you. Just saying....... :scratch_head::dunno:

you do realize i was being sarcastic! Your are right Audits never make the accountant look good