ATX Community

Can't change my avatar

Lion EA

Hey, Eric or KC. I can't change my avatar. I want to use a .jpg on my computer, only about 60 KB. I use browse and the address shows in the box. Then, it either stays the same (Alex playing flute) or the same stretched wider, or nothing. But, I can't seem to upload a different picture to use as an avatar. I tell it to remove the old one; and I tried not removing the old but uploading the new. In fact, the old one is stubbornly there even though I have supposedly removed it many times. Now, I just changed my signature and added a family picture on my profile, but this avatar is stuck! Want to post my son and his new fiancee. Thanks for any help.

Hey, Eric or KC. I can't change my avatar. I want to use a .jpg on my computer, only about 60 KB. I use browse and the address shows in the box. Then, it either stays the same (Alex playing flute) or the same stretched wider, or nothing. But, I can't seem to upload a different picture to use as an avatar. I tell it to remove the old one; and I tried not removing the old but uploading the new. In fact, the old one is stubbornly there even though I have supposedly removed it many times. Now, I just changed my signature and added a family picture on my profile, but this avatar is stuck! Want to post my son and his new fiancee. Thanks for any help.

I can't imagine why that's happening. Can you post the photo here, and maybe I can change it for you?

I think you might have done it yourself. You might have just needed to refresh/reload the page to see the new image due to the way that your browser cached the picture. That would explain why you might have seen the picture not change, but the size change. It was showing the new dimensions but with the old pic.

If you still don't see the new avatar, try refreshing the page, and if that doesn't work, hold down the Shift key while you refresh the page.

Let me know if that helps!

Yeah, I seemed to be able to get the family pic on the member page easily. Then, trying to change Alex in the UConn marching band (she graduated anyway) to Rob and his brand new fiancee/long-time girlfriend as my avatar on posts seemed to be a more complex change. I can now see it. Eric had me press F5 to refresh. Don't know if it appears for all of you. I guess computers don't like change any more than we tax preparers do!

Thanks so much, Gail. On the member page, it's a family pic from my 60th with my son Rob and Steve's daughter Alex (2nd marriage for Steve and me). New avatar (only when we each refresh one by one apparently!) is Rob with his long-time girlfriend/brand new fiancee HB. HB and Alex and my father all share the same birthday, 19 July. Rob's fiancee is HB Schwartz, and Alex's boyfriend is Kyle Swartz. Eerie.

Thanks so much, Gail. On the member page, it's a family pic from my 60th with my son Rob and Steve's daughter Alex (2nd marriage for Steve and me). New avatar (only when we each refresh one by one apparently!) is Rob with his long-time girlfriend/brand new fiancee HB. HB and Alex and my father all share the same birthday, 19 July. Rob's fiancee is HB Schwartz, and Alex's boyfriend is Kyle Swartz. Eerie.

July 19 must be a great day to be born; that is my mother's birthday!

Just to shed a little light on why the refresh might have been required for some...

The uploaded avatar picture gets renamed to a certain filename for each member (every member has a unique avatar filename)

Sometimes a browser will not realize the actual picture has changed because the filename itself did not, so it'll pull the image from its cache instead of downloading the new avatar.

Different browsers have different cache settings, and eventually (probably within 24 hours) everyone would have seen the new picture without a refresh.

That's probably more than you ever wanted to know, but there it is :)

Thank you, Eric. I do find it helpful to find out why or how something worked the way it did. Even an old dog like me learns new tricks each tax season, so maybe I can pick up a technical tip or two that helps me out in the future! Thanks for taking the time to explain it to me.:scratch_head: