ATX Community

Do you guys e-file extension requests or mail them?

RitaB

Do you guys e-file extension requests or mail them? I have never e-filed an extension request; I figured I don't want to learn something else. I am taking about 75 requests to the good ole Post Office tomorrow to mail. Would I wish I had e-filed them if I only knew what you guys know? I know it got pretty old printing those extension requests, and our PO is the worst run business in the history of this town...

I just e filed three (more). Only takes a few minutes and you get an ack of acceptance like you used to do over the phone. Off topic, I bought some "forever" stamps today. Postmaster said the price was going to 41 cents in May. I bought 220 as they only come in sheets of 20; no rolls.

Do you guys e-file extension requests or mail them? I have never e-filed an extension request; I figured I don't want to learn something else. I am taking about 75 requests to the good ole Post Office tomorrow to mail. Would I wish I had e-filed them if I only knew what you guys know? I know it got pretty old printing those extension requests, and our PO is the worst run business in the history of this town...

I mail the ones I have had to do because they are not physically present to sign the e-file form.

They don't have to sign the efile form; in fact, you have to remove all PIN info to get them to create. I started efiling them this year; so easy. The only ones I printed out were for people that had to send in checks. Even mine I had direct debited. Just like efiling 1099s; don't think I'll ever go back to paper.

Joan

I haven't had pancakes since my boyfriend went to Germany to work. I was trying to teach him to cook, so I would be fed during last tax season. He got really good at pancake and waffles. Not too bad at spaghetti either. Oh well, microwave some ribs. The dog will be very happy.

I haven't had pancakes since my boyfriend went to Germany to work. I was trying to teach him to cook, so I would be fed during last tax season. He got really good at pancake and waffles. Not too bad at spaghetti either. Oh well, microwave some ribs. The dog will be very happy.

Always e-file extensions. That syrup is Vermont maple of course.

They don't have to sign the efile form; in fact, you have to remove all PIN info to get them to create. I started efiling them this year; so easy. The only ones I printed out were for people that had to send in checks. Even mine I had direct debited. Just like efiling 1099s; don't think I'll ever go back to paper.

Joan

OK, I have one client that I am putting on Extention. I was going to try to e-file it, but I could not get the signature, so I mailed it.

Could someone walk me through the process of e-filing an extention without the client to sign the form? And since I use Practitioner Pin for all my returns, how do I go about removing the pin?

Any help appreciated.

Tom

Lodi, CA

go to 1040EF tab. highlight the pin and the checkboxes with the ERO signed, and the ERO pin. As you tab to each field, hit 'delete'. When all info is deleted, go to efile, and hit create efile. Check Fed Extension (and only check Fed extension!). Close return. Go to efile tab. check created efile for client and click 'transmit'. Watch the transmission box go through its thing. come back a while later and under efile, click on 'receive acks'. Voila!

I swear, you'll never go back.....

How do get the Ack Immediately? I efile one this morning and the status is still Transmitted to Agency? Is there a IRS phone number that you call and check the status of the extension?

Thanks,

I don't think the Ack's should be immediate should they? At least I hope not, cause all mine still say "transmitted to agency," too. And I just checked on the ATX e-file place.

I actually had to e-file four more - three of mine couldn't pick up their returns (I called them and they were like, "oh, yeah, that's today, isn't it? Well, duh!), and I literally ran into another one just dropping off his stuff as I was trying to get out the door.

If they get acknowledged ok, I will have to say that's the way I'll try to do it in the future. Although I did not like deleting the PIN numbers - I use last five digits of SSN, so it'll be a little trouble re-entering them, but not near as much trouble as going to the Post Office. (I seem to remember someone saying they use the same PIN number for everybody; maybe I'll relax a little and just do that.)

Course, I'll still have to mail the extensions for those who send checks, but that's not so bad...

OK, I have one client that I am putting on Extention. I was going to try to e-file it, but I could not get the signature, so I mailed it.

Could someone walk me through the process of e-filing an extention without the client to sign the form? And since I use Practitioner Pin for all my returns, how do I go about removing the pin?

Any help appreciated.

Tom

Lodi, CA

Tom, open the extension form in the return. Click on the ef form and blank out the pins. Create efile, choose extension, and presto. It's done. So easy. Hope that helps. Neil

Tom, open the extension form in the return. Click on the ef form and blank out the pins. Create efile, choose extension, and presto. It's done. So easy. Hope that helps. Neil

I already sent the snail mail version, but I do appreciate the information. If I am with ATX next year, I am sure it will be useful.

Tom