ATX Community

1099-R JP

carolynm

My client made a ROTH IRA contribution in 2008 but it turns out her income was over the threshold. She withdrew the excess before the deadline for filing a 2008 tax return (including extensions). She has received a 1099-R with Codes JP -I inputted it and it's getting included in taxable income. Should I not be inputting this slip because it was a ROTH? On the 1099-R summary it's showing up on the excess contribution line P and J-early distribution no known exception. Am I missing a checkbox somewhere?

My client made a ROTH IRA contribution in 2008 but it turns out her income was over the threshold. She withdrew the excess before the deadline for filing a 2008 tax return (including extensions). She has received a 1099-R with Codes JP -I inputted it and it's getting included in taxable income. Should I not be inputting this slip because it was a ROTH? On the 1099-R summary it's showing up on the excess contribution line P and J-early distribution no known exception. Am I missing a checkbox somewhere?

According to the instructions for form 8606 this should go on the 2008 return. Contribution would not be taxable but earnings would be, and also subject to the 10% penalty it taxpayer was not 59 1/2.