ATX Community

POLL

Mike D

I don't use TaxWorks and am not comfortable with TRX. I don't see a problem with you using the board. Overall, I don't think that many questions OR posts concern the actual ATX software. Granted early on, problems concerning the software get posted , but it is just like customer support, the questions taper off as we get into the season as we get comfortable with the "new" quirks. Everyone contributes or asks question which we all benefit from no matter what software you us. I would think if you were to take a poll on what tax software you use, it would surprise us all.

You are probably correct in your assessmant, however those of us that have purchased TaxWorks most likely have never used it before and as such it will necessitate questions relating to specific functionality and issues unique to Tax Works only.

Hence my concern regarding the best possible way to hanlde this issue on this board?

TaxWorks has it's own board however it appears to be underutilized and full of spam! In addition I am not sure of the relationship between TRX & TaxWorks as it pertains to the use of it's board for TRX members?

Thanks

Mike Dubin CPA

I have been using ATX since 1993. The first year I used it, I had to have Microsoft Excel for the program to work on and had to use overlays to print the return. Since that time, the program has grown tremendously in function and price. I think the price for ATX is very reasonable; however, since I usually do a little less than 100 returns a year, I am very tempted to go to TRX next year. $300 a year guaranteed for life for a program that apparently offers so much is hard to ignore. I received the demo program the other day and intend to test it out very soon. Some are a little leery about the company due to some underhanded actions on their part, but I have a LOT more confidence in them than I do in CCH. ATX was a great company before they sold out.

As for usisng this board, I fully agree with JRS. Most of the questions are concerning tax, not software, and there is a forum on TRX on this community. I feel that this community is very valuable no matter what software we use.

>> I feel that this community is very valuable no matter what software we use.<<

There is a lot of computer knowledge on this board and some would see a problem with TaxWorks software as a challenge and a short break from doing taxes.

I would say the TRX forum on this site is a good place to have discussions that are specific to software from TRX. Does it make sense to have a TaxWorks forum under Other Vendors instead of TRX? Or in addition to?

I guess I don't quite understand the relationship between TRX and TaxWorks.

Eric,

The relationship between TRX & TaxWorks began in 2009 and will be exclusively, the only software that TRX will be providing to it's members for 2010. They are using price points that are hard to believe and therefore I anticipate many current members who were using ATX, TaxWise, etc., will be converting to TaxWorks for 2010, just as I myself have chosen to do?

The idea of using polling to assess just how many of this board's members will in fact be converting to

TaxWorks should shed light on the user's specific need's relating to this new software, conversion, use of operation, etc. This information should be useful in determining where and how and if this board manages these new issues.

Thanks

Mike Dubin CPA

Eric,

The relationship between TRX & TaxWorks began in 2009 and will be exclusively, the only software that TRX will be providing to it's members for 2010. They are using price points that are hard to believe and therefore I anticipate many current members who were using ATX, TaxWise, etc., will be converting to TaxWorks for 2010, just as I myself have chosen to do?

The idea of using polling to assess just how many of this board's members will in fact be converting to

TaxWorks should shed light on the user's specific need's relating to this new software, conversion, use of operation, etc. This information should be useful in determining where and how and if this board manages these new issues.

Thanks

Mike Dubin CPA

This year, TaxWorks; next year??????????

How many different tax products has TRX fronted in the past few years? Too many for my interest.

I plan to stay with TRX and use TaxWorks next year. I'm not happy about changing software each year & I'm really not looking forward to the lack of forms based entry. However, my business is far too small to pay huge software prices. For me $300 per year is a good incentive to tolerate the learning curve of new software.

I think the TRX board is a good place for the software specific questions.

Kea,

I previously posted on a few links the fact that TRX has a long term commitment with Redgear, Taxworks. This is being reinforced to me in that H&R Bloch who owns Redgear, Taxworks uses it exclusively in all company owned and franchise business returns. In addition this will be the only software product that TRX will be selling and supporting beginning in 2010! They are guaranteeing the price that you pay for all future purchases. They represent about 3 to 4 thousand members.

All that said you need to decide for yourself. The more of us that participate the more impact we will have on TRX's decisions. I for one have purchased and can't wait to further review this software.

Good luck

Mike Dubin

How many others have purchased TaxWorks through TRX for 2010? If a material number, how can we continue to use this board effectively? I for one would hate to lose this asset!

Thanks for any assistance.

Miks Dubin CPA

I have purchased TaxWorks but I will continue to Donate to this board. Atx has been my software from their beginning but my practice is much smaller now.The knowledge here is priceless. I would miss the Board much more than the software

• 2 weeks later...

You are certainly welcome to stay and contribute here. And I imagine if a significant number use it, there will be useful software-specific info here, as well. We started off all-ATX, but now have a significant number of Drake users, for example. But all of us share the same tax issues, and often the answer to a question that appears to be a software question, is at least partially a tax question, instead.

I for one did buy from TRX last year, but will not this year. I'm very leery, too, of any company that promises to keep a price the same FOREVER. That is just not realistic. It's a false promise, because no-one can project that far into the future. I'm not willing to switch programs unless the reasons are more than just price, or the price of my software just becomes totally unreasonable. I also have to consider other factors. In my personal case, health and other considerations may well limit my ability to continue to practice many more years. It does not make sense FOR ME to learn a whole new program, unless the program is not only a lot cheaper, but also better. Otherwise, it makes more sense to just raise my prices a bit to cover the difference. If someone has a very small number of clients, and is not pressed for time to do the work they have, it might be smart to change. But if you have 300 clients, and are very busy during the 'season', a difference of $900 would be only an extra $3 per return, and the extra time to convert, and to become familiar with the new software, would make it foolish, IMHO. Everyone is different, so it is not a matter of one side being right and the other being wrong. Those who stay with ATX and those who change will hopefully both be right, for their situation. I just hope that you all stay on this board, either way.

I am actually looking for new software, I have used Tax Wise since they bought out Intellitax, and do not like it, every year more and more problems! Any suggestions, I prepared a little over 300 and expect to go 400 next year. Would love any suggestions am going to a Drake Session first of May? Was considering using a Intuit product?

• 2 months later...

Kea,

I previously posted on a few links the fact that TRX has a long term commitment with Redgear, Taxworks. This is being reinforced to me in that H&R Bloch who owns Redgear, Taxworks uses it exclusively in all company owned and franchise business returns. In addition this will be the only software product that TRX will be selling and supporting beginning in 2010! They are guaranteeing the price that you pay for all future purchases. They represent about 3 to 4 thousand members.

Mike Dubin

I have contrary H&R information. An H&R owned office manager said they use ATX exclusively for business returns.

I was at HRB for 11 years; for the later years, we used ATX for entity returns. As I was leaving Block three years ago, they bought RedGear. My old district in CT moved immediately to TaxWorks. It was installed and we were given manuals before I departed. My district manager led me to believe that TaxWorks would be used in all company owned offices for entity returns beginning with tax year 2007. There was even a question about updates and support for prior year ATX software. I have no knowledge of what other districts did or are doing since I'm no longer at Block.

I was advised by Red Gear - TaxWorks at the NYC Acoounting Technology show in May 2010 that H & R Block since the acquisition of Red Gear - TaxWorks has used this software for all of their business returns exclusively. In addition they advided me that they had entered into a five year agreement with TRX to provide Red Gear - TaxWorks to them for resale.

I have been using the software and am quite happy so far with it.

Anybody else out there switch to Red Gear - TaxWorks from ATX, Taxwise and/or any other software, we would like to hear from you. The more users that are accounted for the more potential clout we will have to for example, have TRX set up an independent board such as this one to facilitate all of our needs?

Thanks

Mike Dubin CPA