ATX Community

ATX renewal

Joann

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I paid full price for the ATX 1040 package (less 10% discount) for the 2009 software. Stupid me for not being more involved in this board last year and I would have seen the TRX savings.

This year I called and mentioned the 40% savings some people here have mentioned and so far have gotten no results. They will get back to me after checking with their supervisor. Sheesh ... Ive been with ATX/Saber since the mid 1990's.

Currently considering the TRX offer @ $299... but that looks like a steep learning curve and a Proseries offer @ $479.

ATX is aware I am seriously considering these two companies and they havent budged from the 10% ... yet. Im very dissatisfied to say the least. :angry:

I paid full price for the ATX 1040 package (less 10% discount) for the 2009 software. Stupid me for not being more involved in this board last year and I would have seen the TRX savings.

This year I called and mentioned the 40% savings some people here have mentioned and so far have gotten no results. They will get back to me after checking with their supervisor. Sheesh ... Ive been with ATX/Saber since the mid 1990's.

Currently considering the TRX offer @ $299... but that looks like a steep learning curve and a Proseries offer @ $479.

ATX is aware I am seriously considering these two companies and they havent budged from the 10% ... yet. Im very dissatisfied to say the least. :angry:

Join the crowd

Yes, join the crowd. I doubt that they have any intention of budging. I got the "talk to the supervisor" weeks ago and I knew at the time that they would never cal me back and they never have. They probably realize by now that they should have put a silence clause into the mix when they gave the TRX people a 40% discount.

About 10 days ago I received a call from ATX asking me if I wanted to renew with them this year. I went with TRX in 2008 tax year and struggled with Tax Wise all tax season, and had their 2009 ATX last year, yeah!! I dislike the worksheet input that Tax Wise has, much prefer the form input system. I really do like ATX having been with them since 1997.

Anyway they offered me a 30% discount on the 1040 Office and 5 pay-per-returns, as I do a few business returns. TRX was suppose to send me a demo of the new Tax Works program, but haven't heard from them to this date. Oh well!! I for one will stick with ATX until someone comes out with a form input program with a lower price.

I also found that I have to amend 6 of my 2008 (Tax Wise) returns for not adding all the figures into the totals. It was so time consuming converting to Tax Wise then back to ATX, I for one don't have the time or the energy to do this, lol!!

• 2 weeks later...

I just renewed..$849 shipped -727 and change, before taxes and shipping. I hope I'm not making a mistake...even after discounts not nearly the deal TRX offers -but gosh I just don't want to go through the change.

Carolynm; which package did you order? They just assured me that there is no way you got MAX for that price. I am also in the begging process for the $100 referral fees that I have earned and never received. Needless to say, I did not renew today.

Carolynm; which package did you order? They just assured me that there is no way you got MAX for that price. I am also in the begging process for the $100 referral fees that I have earned and never received. Needless to say, I did not renew today.

The only way to get that discount price is to have been one that purchased from TRX last year. There are no exceptions to that rule.

That being said, CCH needs a good lesson in customer service and attitude toward their loyal clients. I went renegade last year simply for the price. I have loyalty ONLY to the software. CCH has blown their reputation and good standing with me from the first year they owned the ATX software.

The only reason I purchased from them for 2010 is that I like the software, and do not want to convert my firm's 3,000 clients to another program. Imagine how much time would be lost in 2010 processing year verifying if everything converted properly, plus the learning curve for 10 employees.

I sent a scathing e-mail to CCH management about this very issue, and I included an MP3 of me speaking the e-mail so they could hear my voice inflections and hear my general disgust with their management practices. (copies available on request. Just contact me!)

Carolynm; which package did you order? They just assured me that there is no way you got MAX for that price. I am also in the begging process for the $100 referral fees that I have earned and never received. Needless to say, I did not renew today. /quote]

I ordered max but AM a renegade TRX client.

I just spoke to Troy who was mentioned in the previous posts and he wouldnt budge from the 10%. I use the 1040 package which would be $726. Still considering the TRX package @ $299 and the intuit proseries at about $425.

Told Troy that the TRX software this year is TaxWorks and he said that he "wouldnt touch it since he knows all about it". I assume he was trying to say that in his opinion it sucks.

So Im still on the fence and not going to jump on ATX by 5/31.

Crank,

If my recollection is correct, wasn't Troy the one who warned us last year not to purchase ATX from TRX as they had no license/agreement?

Seems to me that those of us who ignored his warning wound up with one great deal. Specifically 1/3 the CCH price and can now enjoy a 40% come back to us discount! What has CCH perpetuated once again to it's loyal customer base, screwed them royally!

I rest my case.

I have purchased the TRX Pro Premium software package that is presently being offered until May 31 @ $499 discounted from the normal $699, for only $299! This is Tax Works from Red Gear that normally costs about $2,500 for the same software. Plus TRX is providing RIA research, and their home grown business management, client write up and full payroll software with this package. Finally I will be paying only $299 for renewals in perpetuity!

I am presently working with the software and find it to be a cut above ATX.

Best of luck.

Mike Dubin CPA

I got a call from ATX on 6/1 asking why I havent renewed yet. They noted I have been with ATX/Saber since the mid 90's and that I always renew early. They also told me that Troy is no longer with the company. I told them that they have become too expensive and Im looking at TRX or possibly going back to Proseries (I used them for a few years before ATX)and both are quite a bit less than ATX. They said they can only do the 10% off so I thanked them and hung up.

• 2 weeks later...

TRX Gave me until Fri 6/18 to take the $299 package .... Im seriously considering it. ATX is just gotten too expensive. TRX has daily 1 hr. webinars at 11am & 3pm EST to review the product. It different than ATX fro sure but looks pretty good. I figure why not give it a try for a year .... saves me $600 the first year.

• 1 month later...

They also told me that Troy is no longer with the company. They said they can only do the 10% off so I thanked them and hung up.

Hello Everyone,

I haven't visited this site in a while and am ashamed and a little angry to read this thread; also to hear that someone "just hung up" on someone trying their best to help and doing what they were told. You know, there was an actual person on the other end of that line. A person who is just doing their job. A person who listens to crap that they have no control over ALL DAY. That was just plain rude. Period. You should call back and apologize.

I worked with many of you for nearly 6 years. Why do you think Troy "is longer with the company"? It's probably because you bombarded him with pricing complaints and posted them here. Do you not think CCH SFS monitors this board and their employees? You shoved him into a corner for $20 a month. He tried to pacify your crabbing with an honest explanation and you respond by broadcasting his contact information and open conversation? Did you even consider anyone else's situation when thinking about an extra $20 a month added to your expenses?

What do you think Troy had for supper last night? What do you think he drives for a car? What do you think I drove (drive) and ate (eat) in my tenure at ATX? What did YOU have for supper last night? How big is your house? What do YOU drive for a car? What do YOU make in a year? Do you know what it is like to field complaints about $200-$400 a year from people who make literally 10 times your salary? I know, and it stinks.

Get some perspective, respect, and consideration. Think before acting like a jerk.

Respectfully,

Kerry Crandall

Hello Everyone,

I haven't visited this site in a while and am ashamed and a little angry to read this thread; also to hear that someone "just hung up" on someone trying their best to help and doing what they were told. You know, there was an actual person on the other end of that line. A person who is just doing their job. A person who listens to crap that they have no control over ALL DAY. That was just plain rude. Period. You should call back and apologize.

I worked with many of you for nearly 6 years. Why do you think Troy "is longer with the company"? It's probably because you bombarded him with pricing complaints and posted them here. Do you not think CCH SFS monitors this board and their employees? You shoved him into a corner for $20 a month. He tried to pacify your crabbing with an honest explanation and you respond by broadcasting his contact information and open conversation? Did you even consider anyone else's situation when thinking about an extra $20 a month added to your expenses?

What do you think Troy had for supper last night? What do you think he drives for a car? What do you think I drove (drive) and ate (eat) in my tenure at ATX? What did YOU have for supper last night? How big is your house? What do YOU drive for a car? What do YOU make in a year? Do you know what it is like to field complaints about $200-$400 a year from people who make literally 10 times your salary? I know, and it stinks.

Get some perspective, respect, and consideration. Think before acting like a jerk.

Respectfully,

Kerry Crandall

WOW!!

I haven't heard a rant that strong for a while. Maybe you could come back under a little more control and explain yourself.

Well, Kerry, I had leftovers for dinner last night. I drive a 2001 Villager. My house is 50 years old in a subdivision with starter homes. And I make less than $50,000 a year as a sole practioner with an MBA in Taxation in a home office in my living room. I did not complain about $20 a month and told Troy that I was going to let others know of the offer which, in business, is only fair, in my opinion.

Troy was the representative of a company that did wrong by many of us then tried to rectify the situation in part when they didn't have to. I honestly and genuinely appreciated that and told him so. It did seem a bit arbitrary to not offer the same or similar discount to those who did not go through TRX but it was a business decision on the part of CCH just as our purchasing decisions were our own. Those who did not benefit, in my opinion, could complain but simply lost out. It was wrong, in my opinion, to 'take it out on Troy' but $200-$400 IS a significant expense for many of us.

And, yes, I do know what it is like to take complaints from people to make 5 times what I do over $200-$400 on a bill for tax preparation and then lose that client because they want to pay less for what they get.

We all should be acting in a business like manner, true. But please don't paint all of us practitioners with the same broad brush. Not all tax preparers make hundreds of thousands of dollars, drive expensive cars and live in McMansions. Many of us also have to watch our $20 per month expenses. After all, that is $20 per month that we do not have to pay personal expenses.

And, Margaret, don't forget that in Sept we will be adding another bill to the minus side for licensing; and we don't even know yet how much per month that will calculate out to be. I also had leftovers for supper last night and also live in an older house with a home office in one of the bedrooms. I make MUCH less than $50,000 per year and work another parttime job to subsidize. However, I consider myself lucky because the clients I have who make the big bucks are also mired in debt.

I spoke to Troy on one occasion and immediately backed off as it was easy to tell that he was fearful for his job and obviously could not offer me the same discount that others got. Whatever the reasoning behind CCH making an offer to certain customers and not others is, I guess, their business. As in all other aspects of business, we either deal with it or walk away.

I think that Kerry was out of place to tar us all with the same brush. Everyone's circumstances are different. How we choose to handle our individual lives is up to us.; for some it is easier than for others. In these extremely difficult economic times, I am thankful for so many things that I do have and try not to worry about the things that I don't have.

Margaret, I feel that you summed up the situation very well and answered Bob's question. Have a great rest of the summer.

Mr. Crandall, I believe that where I live, what I eat and what I make are really nobody's business. As for your comments regarding making a big deal of a $200-400 a year increase, I would like to remind you that lat that I heard, he US economy is based on capitalism. Try going to a store and buy a $50 shirt with $45 and see what happens. In this system, people have the right to choose what they want to pay for a particular product or service. If the price is right, they buy, if not, they walk. I also know that when you are hired, you have a pretty good feel for the type of work you will be doing. Unfortunately, your field is not on the top of the earnings board. If you are disgusted with your current or past positions, you should consider a change of profession.

As far as ATX is concerned, they have a good product, but have made a few marketing gaffes. TRX has come in and offered some outstanding deals that in my opinion are hard to beat. Fortunately for me, I don't need the income from this profession to pay my bills, but I don't like to waste money either.

And, Margaret, don't forget that in Sept we will be adding another bill to the minus side for licensing; and we don't even know yet how much per month that will calculate out to be. I also had leftovers for supper last night and also live in an older house with a home office in one of the bedrooms. I make MUCH less than $50,000 per year and work another parttime job to subsidize. However, I consider myself lucky because the clients I have who make the big bucks are also mired in debt.

I spoke to Troy on one occasion and immediately backed off as it was easy to tell that he was fearful for his job and obviously could not offer me the same discount that others got. Whatever the reasoning behind CCH making an offer to certain customers and not others is, I guess, their business. As in all other aspects of business, we either deal with it or walk away.

I think that Kerry was out of place to tar us all with the same brush. Everyone's circumstances are different. How we choose to handle our individual lives is up to us.; for some it is easier than for others. In these extremely difficult economic times, I am thankful for so many things that I do have and try not to worry about the things that I don't have.

Margaret, I feel that you summed up the situation very well and answered Bob's question. Have a great rest of the summer.

I'm with Margaret and Marilyn. I make way less than $50K per year and get bitched out by clients making hectuple my income over tax prep fees that are, in my opinion, too low for the annoyance they put me through. My house is 50+ years old, drafty as all get out, and I sit here working on taxes in the winter with fingerless gloves and a blanket on my lap with the office area at 62 degrees F because it costs too much money to heat the whole house when it's just me here working. A $400 difference is HUGE to me.

But I do agree that bitching out an employee for following company rules is harsh and undeserved. Bitch out the company if need be, but not the employee.

But I do agree that bitching out an employee for following company rules is harsh and undeserved. Bitch out the company if need be, but not the employee.

Hello Everyone,

Thank you, Catherine. I didn't mean to paint everybody with a broad brush and I apologize. I was really peeved at the person who hung up on the rep.

I have dealt with the public for nearly 20 years, and can tell the difference between the person strolling in off the cruise ship, and the family that saved pennies for their vacation. I just wanted to give the "cruise ship" folks on here some perspective. Not that they will listen...

Those of you who know me know I am normally not like that. The elitist tone of the post rubbed me the wrong way.

BTW, I had BBQ Chicken for supper tonight with a green salad. For dessert we had home-made banana bread.

Sorry for any ruffled feathers.

Kerry

Hello Everyone,

Thank you, Catherine. I didn't mean to paint everybody with a broad brush and I apologize. I was really peeved at the person who hung up on the rep.

I have dealt with the public for nearly 20 years, and can tell the difference between the person strolling in off the cruise ship, and the family that saved pennies for their vacation. I just wanted to give the "cruise ship" folks on here some perspective. Not that they will listen...

Those of you who know me know I am normally not like that. The elitist tone of the post rubbed me the wrong way.

BTW, I had BBQ Chicken for supper tonight with a green salad. For dessert we had home-made banana bread.

Sorry for any ruffled feathers.

Kerry

Interesting - I just got off a cruise ship to Alaska. My impression is that, like us, a lot of those families aboard saved pennies for their vacation on that cruise ship. There goes that broad brush again.