ATX Community

Update on 1099 Misc reporting (Ugh)

cred65

>>an attempt to raise revenue for an increasingly rapacious Congress<<

Can anyone explain to me how this "rapacious" provision could raise revenue not otherwise due anyway? In my opinion, it simply uses the power of computers to make sure honest taxpayers don't have to pay more than their fair share.

>>an attempt to raise revenue for an increasingly rapacious Congress<<

Can anyone explain to me how this "rapacious" provision could raise revenue not otherwise due anyway? In my opinion, it simply uses the power of computers to make sure honest taxpayers don't have to pay more than their fair share.

Its not about the rapacious (greedy) Congress or big brother (IRS) raising revenue, its the burden on small business that is the issue. It was best summarized in the last paragraph of the article:

>>If it goes into effect, it will waste vast quantities of human effort in filling out forms, reworking computer systems, collecting and organizing data, and fighting the IRS. The struggling American economy can’t afford anymore suffocating tax regulations. This mandate is a giant deadweight loss. It should be repealed.<<

>>Using a word such as "rapacious" is a obfuscacious manner of writing and not at all elucidative.<<

In my opinion, that word is highly elucidative. It colors the entire argument with hyperbole, because rapacious doesn't just mean greedy, it means excessively greedy with a sense of preying on others. Another manipulative expression used in the article is "rammed through Congress," suggesting that the vote was forced before anyone had a chance to read the bill and raise objections, a totally specious position within the whole political scree linked here as an "update.".

Should not that verb form had better been "authoring"?

happy.gif

(We need a smiley for nose-in-the-air!)

Well, actually I thought "is" would be a very proper verb in that sentence.

Maybe I should have changed the gerund to "authoring"....?

But I'm surprised nobody called me on the typo - using an improper article.

Well, actually I thought "is" would be a very proper verb in that sentence.

Maybe I should have changed the gerund to "authoring"....?

But I'm suprised nobody called me on the typo - using an improper article.

And there's a lesson to me to try NOT to be a smart-aleck -- at least when I'm rushing!

Aw go ahead & be a smart aleck.

We're not under any deadlines right now so there's time for a little levity.

And I confess that a few weeks ago I wouldn't have been so up on my parts of speech, but recently a Bible study I've been working with has been focusing on deconstructing sentences for clarity. We even started doing some diagramming, which takes me way back in time.

Aw go ahead & be a smart aleck.

We're not under any deadlines right now so there's time for a little levity.

And I confess that a few weeks ago I wouldn't have been so up on my parts of speech, but recently a Bible study I've been working with has been focusing on deconstructing sentences for clarity. We even started doing some diagramming, which takes me way back in time.

But we see what we wish to see. I read your "an" even if it wasn't there. Had to go back and look at your posting to see the incorrect article.

Maribeth

But we see what we wish to see. I read your "an" even if it wasn't there. Had to go back and look at your posting to see the incorrect article.

Maribeth

I had to go back to see it, as well. That's why proofreaders read -backwards- as well as forwards.

Sentence diagramming. Now -there- is a memory that brings shivers! I think my elementary school teachers weren't very sure about it themselves, because they certainly could never explain grammar well enough for me to understand it. Learned what I do know of grammar by studying foreign languages, and how to write by reading good literature.

>>elementary school teachers weren't very sure about it themselves<<

Well, nobody is very sure about English grammar. Is it Germanic? Is it from one or more Romance language? What sentence structure did William the Conqueror pick up from his Saxon concubine? What did the Mandinko warriors have to say? Did you know that the ancient Aztec language N'ahuatl is widely spoken as a native tongue in America today, with important effects?

I STILL diagram sentences--it's the only way to get the appositive right.

Although legislation has been introduced to repeal this, legislation is often introduced and goes no further. I won't hold my breath, but I will contact my congressman.

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/billtext.xpd?bill=h111-5141