ATX Community

PDF Software

Are there features you're looking for beyond simple PDF creation?

I ask because you mentioned the Professional version of CutePDF, when the free version's Print-to-PDF function works just fine.

As always, when installing "Free" software, read all of the installation screens carefully, and uncheck any boxes that ask for your permission to install toolbars or other unrelated software. The only reason I mention this is because of the warning comments posted on the PDF Creator download page.

Is anyone using these free softwares on Windows 7?

I loved PDF Factory that came on the 2004 ATX CD, but it refuses to work on Windows 7.

We purchased PDF factory and its companion Fine Print. It works great for us, in both the printing functions and the storage functions. I highly recommend it and the price is very reasonable.

Maribeth

Thanks for all the responses. I, too, have pdf factory and even upgraded at some point. The church needs something that will create a pdf as well as read and edit, encrypt, notate, and some other functions that I don't even know or use yet.

Lion, does this sound like the CutePDF will do those things? The info I read online seems to cover just about everthing that Adobe Pro does. I am definitely leaning that direction. If your husband has any caveats or helpful hints, I would appreciate it. Also, did he try any others and decide this was the best? I am always leery of free things but have had much great results with the CMI fixed assets, pdf factory, Open Office and Printkey 2000 so am not averse to free!

Finally saw my husband, when we're both awake at the same time, to ask him about his experience with CutePDF. Hubby's a music teacher at a middle school (chorus and keyboard) and music director/organist at church. He says he tried the free version of CutePDF and liked it and hasn't used anything else for some time. He uses it mostly when he creates music (drum and trumpet parts for Sunday's outdoor children's service, for instance) and needs to email them to people who would not have his music software on their computers, not be able to open a document he created in his music software. So, he "prints" the file to CutePDF and then emails the file in that format for others to read, print, whatever. He's never tried to notate nor encrypt. Sorry.

If you're thinking of those functions for privacy, do ask around at other churches also to see what they use and at your regional &/or national church level to see what they recommend. For instance, our church uses accounting software encouraged by our Diocese as providing financial reports in the format required by the Diocese and includes some privacy attributes. (I haven't been treasurer since we could afford the software, so don't know what all it does or even its name.) If it's more for sending Word documents around to the Vestry or committee chairmen for their notes and to receive back, I know MA has strict privacy laws now re email so maybe some of our MA preparers have ideas for encryption software that still allows collaboration.

Thanks so much, Lion and others. I downloaded Bullzip and will try the CutePDF. I think one important thing is to be able to edit a pdf that someone else has sent to the secretary. Several times she has received pdf's only to have to retype for corrections, additions, etc. I will by trying out those functions as soon as I figure out how myself!

Thanks again to all.